We all grow up believing that the moisture in clear air

James McGinn

Jan 18, 2017, 2:03:40 PM1/18/17

http://www.thunderbolts.info/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16471#p117174

Re: We all grow up believing that the moisture in clear air
Postby jimmcginn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:53 am

lw1990 wrote:
I don't know what your alternative is but on the off chance it is similar to mine here goes

I like it. But, actually, when I first read it I didn't like it. But I couldn't formulate in my mind why did didn't like it. Then I realized it kind of mirrors a lot of my own thinking. In fact, if somebody were to ask me about my understanding of the atmospheric flow (including storms, etc.) about 7 or 8 years ago my response would have sounded much like what you stated here--so, maybe, look a this response as an attempt to show you how you can save 7 or 8 years.

lw1990 wrote:
Clouds stratify from inches to miles above the ground. The Earth's atmospheric temperature (affected by solar energy and other sources) as well as oscillation frequency determines where clouds formulate. Though the Earth's atmosphere is within the Earth's gravitational field, clouds do not stratify based on gravity, but rather based on the Earth's atmospheric temperature and oscillation frequencies.

I want to assure you that, yes, you are on the right track here. H2O microdroplets are suspended in earth's atmosphere (solar wind; static electricity). (BTW, moist air has negative bouyancy. [You have to ignore meteorological superstition to make any progress at all in understanding the physics of the atmosphere.] If not for storms it would pool up in flat layers at the bottom of the troposphere [like 'inversion' layers]).

lw1990 wrote:
The collective water molecules in a cloud act as a single core with a shallow field; basically they act like one huge water molecule. Pure water molecules do not form into compounds, but only form a larger water molecule. Thus, a cloud is a single fluidic water molecule.

Again, I think you are on the right track. The notion that H2O acts like a larger molecule is actually true and--most importantly--amplified under high energy windshear conditions. (It gets real complicated after this.)

lw1990 wrote:
Any ambient water molecules outside a cloud but close to the clouds boundary is drawn in by the clouds oscillation frequency. Every cloud is an independent object with its own temperature. When clouds come together, their temperatures disseminate between one-another, and generate lightning.

The water molecules that compose a cloud are in constant motion transferring temperature between one another. If the cloud is heated by the sun or ambient atmospheric temperatures, the water molecules can develop enough motion to escape the cloud - evaporation.

Yes. H2O's huge heat capacity/conductivity plays a huge role in all of this. And it is H2O's structural properties, associated with its 'peculiar' surface tension, that allows H2O to be the basis of the vortices that continually juggle moist air up as high as the top of the troposphere. (Convection plays no role whatsoever. [Moist air has negative buoyancy. {If not for the constant input of electricity from the solar wind H2O would drop out of the sky.}])

lw1990 wrote:
When water molecules inside the cloud bump into each other, they can coalesce and form into a water drop or ice crystal, depending on the temperature. When a water drop or ice crystal form in a cloud, they form a field which can encompass other water molecules (a condensation response), increasing their mass and volume. Eventually this increases enough to escape the cloud, then gravity takes over, and the water drop or ice crystal fall. Either of which continue to condensate until they hit the ground.

Well, let's just say that vortices play a much greater roles in ALL storms that most people realize. They are the conduits that deliver the low pressure energy of storms. (Jet streams are the repository for the atmosphere's low pressure energy. Jet streams are vortices. Tornadoes are the tail-end of a jet stream.)

James McGinn / Solving Tornadoes

James McGinn

Mar 4, 2018, 10:24:55 PM3/4/18

James McGinn