Time derivative a jerk

Clint Sprott

Sep 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/2/96

The time derivative of acceleration has been called a "jerk". Is there
a term, or would someone like to invent a term (specify which), for the
time derivative of a jerk? Also suggest an appropriate symbol.

--

| J. C. (Clint) Sprott Tel: (608) 263-4449 |
| Professor of Physics Fax: (608) 262-7205 |

Michael D. Painter

Sep 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/2/96

Clint Sprott <spr...@juno.physics.wisc.edu> wrote in article
<322B60...@juno.physics.wisc.edu>...

I might be sued for slander if I suggested any. (Although truth is a
defense...)

FolsomMan

Sep 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/2/96

Clint Sprott <spr...@juno.physics.wisc.edu> wrote:

>The time derivative of acceleration has been called a "jerk". Is there
>a term, or would someone like to invent a term (specify which), for the
>time derivative of a jerk? Also suggest an appropriate symbol.

=>...?

Jerry Codner

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

In article <322B60...@juno.physics.wisc.edu>,
spr...@juno.physics.wisc.edu wrote:

> --
>
> | J. C. (Clint) Sprott Tel: (608) 263-4449 |
> | Professor of Physics Fax: (608) 262-7205 |
> | University of Wisconsin E-mail: spr...@juno.physics.wisc.edu |
> | Madison, WI 53706 WWW: http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/ |

How about d2a/dt2 = d(jerk)/dt = spas, symbol (psi)
Jerry Codner
gco...@lightlink.com
"I'm an engineer, Jim, not a magician."

Toby Bartels

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

Clint Sprott <spr...@juno.physics.wisc.edu> wrote:

>The time derivative of acceleration has been called a "jerk". Is there
>a term, or would someone like to invent a term (specify which), for the
>time derivative of a jerk? Also suggest an appropriate symbol.

My mechanics teacher said the term is `sprite'.

-- Toby
to...@ugcs.caltech.edu

Matt McIrvin

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

In article <50kf0m$l...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>, to...@ugcs.caltech.edu (Toby
Bartels) wrote:

Wouldn't that be a soda jerk?

--
Matt McIrvin <http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/>

William H. Jefferys

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

In article <322B60...@juno.physics.wisc.edu>,
Clint Sprott <spr...@juno.physics.wisc.edu> wrote:
#The time derivative of acceleration has been called a "jerk". Is there
#a term, or would someone like to invent a term (specify which), for the
#time derivative of a jerk? Also suggest an appropriate symbol.

I have heard snap, crackle, and pop for the 4th thru 6th derivatives,
respectively.

Bill

--
Bill Jefferys/Department of Astronomy/University of Texas/Austin, TX 78712
E-mail: bi...@clyde.as.utexas.edu | URL: http://quasar.as.utexas.edu

Erik Max Francis

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

spr...@juno.physics.wisc.edu wrote:

> The time derivative of acceleration has been called a "jerk". Is there

> a term, or would someone like to invent a term (specify which), for the

> time derivative of a jerk? Also suggest an appropriate symbol.

When this thread came up two years ago, it was commented that the fouth
derivative of position was occasionally referred been referred to (more than
once) as jounce.

According to Ben Zellner at the time, the _Hubble_ has strict structural
limits on jerk and jounce. So they are used for _soemthing_.

--
Erik Max Francis, &tSftDotIotE http://www.alcyone.com/max/ m...@alcyone.com
San Jose, California ICBM 37 20 07 N 121 53 38 W R^4: the 4th R is respect

Clint Sprott

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Clint Sprott wrote:

> The time derivative of acceleration has been called a "jerk". Is there
> a term, or would someone like to invent a term (specify which), for the
> time derivative of a jerk? Also suggest an appropriate symbol.

Thanks to Erik Francis, Jerry Codner, Toby Bartels, and William Jefferys
for interesting answers to the above question. I have referenced you
all in a paper "Some simple chaotic jerk functions" about to be
submitted to Am. J. Phys.

john baez

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

In article <322B60...@juno.physics.wisc.edu>,

Clint Sprott <spr...@juno.physics.wisc.edu> wrote:
>The time derivative of acceleration has been called a "jerk". Is there
>a term, or would someone like to invent a term (specify which), for the
>time derivative of a jerk? Also suggest an appropriate symbol.

The standard terms for the derivatives of position with respect
to time are:

position: x, r, or q
velocity: v
acceleration: a
jerk: j
snap: s
crackle: c
pop: p

There is no term for the 7th derivative because this doesn't
come up very often in practice.

Jeffrey Jacoby

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

William H. Jefferys (bi...@clyde.as.utexas.edu) wrote:
> In article <322B60...@juno.physics.wisc.edu>,
> Clint Sprott <spr...@juno.physics.wisc.edu> wrote:
> #The time derivative of acceleration has been called a "jerk". Is there
> #a term, or would someone like to invent a term (specify which), for the
> #time derivative of a jerk? Also suggest an appropriate symbol.

> I have heard snap, crackle, and pop for the 4th thru 6th derivatives,
> respectively.

> Bill

I forget the source, but I once heard the 1st derivative of accel. called
a "jolt" and the 2nd called a "jerk"

But I much rather like Bill's suggestion :-)

-Jeff