Why Scientific Myths Persist by Claudius Denk

James McGinn

Jan 19, 2017, 12:09:28 PM1/19/17
Report not abuse
I'm re-posting this for Denk

Why Scientific Myths Persist
by Claudius Denk

The right question is why is so much of science deliberately dumbed down to
appeal to the lowest common denominator of poorly educated science consumer?

The answer is because humans have a deep-seated emotional need to believe
they understand their world and there is a lot of money to be made
fulfilling that need. And since most science consumers don't have the time
or the education to put much effort into it, the most money can be made
giving these poorly educated science consumers excuses for why they don't
actually have to literally understand it. And so--for reasons of fiscal
necessity--many sciences have dumbed down their models to go with the flow
of what people want to believe. Everybody has sat in their car, windows
closed, on a hot day. Therefore everybody will find it easy to believe that
CO2 traps heat, hence the greenhouse effect. Everybody has seen a pot
boiling on a stove produce a mushroom cloud of vapor, like a thunderstorm.
Therefore everybody will find it easy to believe the water in the atmosphere
acts the same way, hence the convection model of storm theory. Everybody can plainly see that the moist air is, often, clear. Therefore everybody will find it easy to believe clear moist air is gaseous.

One consequence of this is that certain assumptions that are associated with
the models have to be concealed, ignored, or effectively dismissed. And it
is for this reason that there are certain concepts in every discipline that
are, literally, taboo. You won't find a meteorologist willing to participating in a discussion about the implications of the fact that the
boiling temperature of H2O is much higher than that in the ambient
environment, as Mcginn is saying. You won't find a climatologists willing to
discuss the known fact that the overall thermal effect of CO2 on the
atmosphere is miniscule compared to H2O. These realities are, actually, a consequence of our democracy.

CD

Excellent comment Claudius!

Cheers,

James McGinn / Solving Tornadoes

James McGinn

Jan 30, 2017, 2:02:27 AM1/30/17

James McGinn

Feb 22, 2017, 10:20:31 AM2/22/17

James McGinn

Apr 23, 2017, 2:28:56 PM4/23/17

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2017, 3:42:05 PM4/23/17
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 11:28:56 AM UTC-7, James McGinn wrote:

> On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 9:09:28 AM UTC-8, James McGinn wrote:
> > I'm re-posting this for Denk
> >
> > Why Scientific Myths Persist
> > by Claudius Denk

Science is a method for deciding whether what we choose to believe has a basis in the laws of nature or not. Unfortunately for you, Jim, none of what you choose to believe has any basis in the laws of nature, and there are virtually no experiments or observations to support any of your positions.

James McGinn

Apr 23, 2017, 3:57:38 PM4/23/17
You are a dumbass without an argument.

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2017, 4:34:17 PM4/23/17
... says the dumbfuck without a brain...

James McGinn

Apr 23, 2017, 5:00:57 PM4/23/17
You are the lowest common denominator of which I speak in this thread. You are the dumb guy that believes everything that he is told verbatim. You are the dumbguy that can't discuss specifics but who can only repeat generalities in a mantra.

You are the reason so much of science has been dumbed down.

You are also boring.

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2017, 5:29:06 PM4/23/17
After all your ranting and raving, after all your bluster and bravado, it all comes down to the simple fact that you have ZERO observations or experiments to support your whacky notion, for example, that water vapor is not the gaseous form of water. You are simply wrong about this, but despite *overwhelming* evidence to the contrary, you nevertheless insist that you are correct and that the hundreds of thousands of physicists and other scientists the world around are wrong. This could be the very definition of 'delusional'.

Science has not been dumbed down, except by science deniers such as yourself, and that is only because you and your ilk are not educated enough to understand science in its raw form. You are not educated enough to read the latest papers from the most recent journals and know what they are saying. You simply don't know what you don't know, and THAT is what is wrong with modern day science deniers. If *you* don't fully understand the science, then *you* apparently reserve the right to not believe it, that's your motto, and that kind of thinking is far too prevalent in today's society, IMHO. It is this kind of forum that brings your kind out in hoards, and your collective persistence in slobbering all over the internet, ad nauseum, only goes to reinforce your pathetic but hackneyed assertions among yourselves.

No one appreciates your presence here except for those of a like mind, and thankfully, in your case, there are precious few of those, since you are among the worst of the worst when it comes to 'bad science'! I would advise that you learn some actual science, Jim, but we both know that this would probably not be possible.

James McGinn

Apr 23, 2017, 6:43:55 PM4/23/17
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 2:29:06 PM UTC-7, pnal...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 2:00:57 PM UTC-7, James McGinn wrote:

> > > ... says the dumbfuck without a brain...
> >
> > You are the lowest common denominator of which I speak in this thread. You are the dumb guy that believes everything that he is told verbatim. You are the dumbguy that can't discuss specifics but who can only repeat generalities in a mantra.
> >
> > You are the reason so much of science has been dumbed down.
> >
> > You are also boring.
>
> After all your ranting and raving, after all your bluster and bravado, it all comes down to the simple fact that you have ZERO observations or experiments to support your whacky notion, for example, that water vapor is not the gaseous form of water.

You have nothing interesting to say.

You are simply wrong about this, but despite *overwhelming* evidence to the contrary, you nevertheless insist that you are correct and that the hundreds of thousands of physicists and other scientists the world around are wrong. This could be the very definition of 'delusional'.

You failed to dispute it. All you nitwits could do is find other people who share you dimwitted consensus beliefs.

THAT ISN'T SCINENCE, DUMBASS!

> Science has not been dumbed down, except by science deniers such as yourself, and that is only because you and your ilk are not educated enough to understand science in its raw form. You are not educated enough to read the latest papers from the most recent journals and know what they are saying. You simply don't know what you don't know, and THAT is what is wrong with modern day science deniers. If *you* don't fully understand the science, then *you* apparently reserve the right to not believe it, that's your motto, and that kind of thinking is far too prevalent in today's society, IMHO. It is this kind of forum that brings your kind out in hoards, and your collective persistence in slobbering all over the internet, ad nauseum, only goes to reinforce your pathetic but hackneyed assertions among yourselves.

LOL You spend all your time attacking me to draw attention away from the fact that YOU FAILED TO DISPUTE MY ASSERTION, YOU FREEKIN RETARD.

> No one appreciates your presence here except for those of a like mind, and thankfully, in your case, there are precious few of those, since you are among the worst of the worst when it comes to 'bad science'! I would advise that you learn some actual science, Jim, but we both know that this would probably not be possible.

You are a dumbass with nothing interesting to say.

You are boring and dumb.

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2017, 11:38:02 PM4/23/17
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 3:43:55 PM UTC-7, James McGinn wrote:
> On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 2:29:06 PM UTC-7, pnal...@gmail.com wrote:

> > After all your ranting and raving, after all your bluster and bravado, it all comes down to the simple fact that you have ZERO observations or experiments to support your whacky notion, for example, that water vapor is not the gaseous form of water.

> You have nothing interesting to say.

And yet, you read and respond!

>> You are simply wrong about this, but despite *overwhelming* evidence to the contrary, you nevertheless insist that you are correct and that the hundreds of thousands of physicists and other scientists the world around are wrong. This could be the very definition of 'delusional'.

> You failed to dispute it.

Of course I dispute it, why do you think I responded to begin with? I dispute your claim that water vapor in not the gaseous form of water. Clear enough?

> All you nitwits could do is find other people who share you dimwitted consensus beliefs.

No, not consensus beliefs, but rather established scientific concepts. No matter how much you don't believe it, science still knows you are simply wrong and you can't even produce anything to support yourself, nothing at all.

> THAT ISN'T SCINENCE, DUMBASS!

Well, you are certainly right about that, Jim, it definitely isn't SCINENCE... spell check is your friend.

> > Science has not been dumbed down, except by science deniers such as yourself, and that is only because you and your ilk are not educated enough to understand science in its raw form. You are not educated enough to read the latest papers from the most recent journals and know what they are saying. You simply don't know what you don't know, and THAT is what is wrong with modern day science deniers. If *you* don't fully understand the science, then *you* apparently reserve the right to not believe it, that's your motto, and that kind of thinking is far too prevalent in today's society, IMHO. It is this kind of forum that brings your kind out in hoards, and your collective persistence in slobbering all over the internet, ad nauseum, only goes to reinforce your pathetic but hackneyed assertions among yourselves.

> LOL You spend all your time attacking me to draw attention away from the fact that YOU FAILED TO DISPUTE MY ASSERTION, YOU FREEKIN RETARD.

Drawing away attention away? No, I definitely did not fail to dispute your assertion... and I'm sure glad you used that word, 'assertion', because every real scientist knows, without any doubt, that "assertion is not proof", so clearly YOU are no scientist! You make this all so easy, thanks for that.

> > No one appreciates your presence here except for those of a like mind, and thankfully, in your case, there are precious few of those, since you are among the worst of the worst when it comes to 'bad science'! I would advise that you learn some actual science, Jim, but we both know that this would probably not be possible.

> You are a dumbass with nothing interesting to say.
>
> You are boring and dumb.

Yeah, well, such is life...

Solving Tornadoes

Apr 23, 2017, 11:57:02 PM4/23/17
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 8:38:02 PM UTC-7, pnal...@gmail.com wrote:

> > You have nothing interesting to say.
>
> And yet, you read and respond!
>
> >> You are simply wrong about this, but despite *overwhelming* evidence to the contrary, you nevertheless insist that you are correct and that the hundreds of thousands of physicists and other scientists the world around are wrong. This could be the very definition of 'delusional'.
>
> > You failed to dispute it.
>
> Of course I dispute it,

You just whine. Find another hobby.

why do you think I responded to begin with? I dispute your claim that water vapor in not the gaseous form of water. Clear enough?

> > All you nitwits could do is find other people who share you dimwitted consensus beliefs.
>
> No, not consensus beliefs, but rather established scientific concepts.

You have no backbone. You just believe what every non-thinking person in the public believes.

No matter how much you don't believe it, science still knows you are simply wrong and you can't even produce anything to support yourself, nothing at all.

The evidence is in the public domain, dumbass.

> > THAT ISN'T SCINENCE, DUMBASS!
>
> Well, you are certainly right about that, Jim, it definitely isn't SCINENCE... spell check is your friend.
>
> > > Science has not been dumbed down, except by science deniers such as yourself, and that is only because you and your ilk are not educated enough to understand science in its raw form. You are not educated enough to read the latest papers from the most recent journals and know what they are saying. You simply don't know what you don't know, and THAT is what is wrong with modern day science deniers. If *you* don't fully understand the science, then *you* apparently reserve the right to not believe it, that's your motto, and that kind of thinking is far too prevalent in today's society, IMHO. It is this kind of forum that brings your kind out in hoards, and your collective persistence in slobbering all over the internet, ad nauseum, only goes to reinforce your pathetic but hackneyed assertions among yourselves.
>
> > LOL You spend all your time attacking me to draw attention away from the fact that YOU FAILED TO DISPUTE MY ASSERTION, YOU FREEKIN RETARD.
>
> Drawing away attention away? No, I definitely did not fail to dispute your assertion... and I'm sure glad you used that word, 'assertion', because every real scientist knows, without any doubt, that "assertion is not proof", so clearly YOU are no scientist! You make this all so easy, thanks for that.
>
> > > No one appreciates your presence here except for those of a like mind, and thankfully, in your case, there are precious few of those, since you are among the worst of the worst when it comes to 'bad science'! I would advise that you learn some actual science, Jim, but we both know that this would probably not be possible.
>
> > You are a dumbass with nothing interesting to say.
> >
> > You are boring and dumb.
>
> Yeah, well, such is life...

Duhr!

James McGinn

Apr 24, 2017, 12:23:15 AM4/24/17
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 8:38:02 PM UTC-7, pnal...@gmail.com wrote:

> No, not consensus beliefs, but rather established scientific concepts. No matter how much you don't believe it, science still knows you are simply wrong

LOL. Science involves facts, dumbass. Not the opinion of dopes.

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 12:48:35 AM4/24/17
Indeed, but Jim, it is a fact that humid air is lighter than dry air, and it is a fact that water vapor is the gaseous form of water. You can deny it forever but it will always be true. After all, experiments have shown these facts to be true for a very long time now. It is only the dopes who don't know this...

James McGinn

Apr 24, 2017, 1:31:12 AM4/24/17
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 9:48:35 PM UTC-7, pnal...@gmail.com wrote:

> > LOL. Science involves facts, dumbass. Not the opinion of dopes.
>
> Indeed, but Jim, it is a fact that humid air is lighter than dry air, and it is a fact that water vapor is the gaseous form of water. You can deny it forever but it will always be true. After all, experiments have shown these facts to be true for a very long time now. It is only the dopes who don't know this...

Okay, but. The experiments have to be real. Your imagination doesn't count, you imbecile.

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 3:50:32 PM4/24/17
Yes, Jim, the experiments are real, tens of thousands of them, repeated often in classrooms around the world...

James McGinn

Apr 24, 2017, 4:10:02 PM4/24/17
Well, I know it seems real to you. But it has to be real to normal people.

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 4:37:02 PM4/24/17
You imply that these experiments are not real to you, which implies, to me, that you are not normal... which explains everything!

Odd Bodkin

Apr 24, 2017, 4:51:07 PM4/24/17
Jim, who lives in a house his parents own because he cannot support
himself, likes to take the stance that he is the normal one and everyone
else is peculiar.

This particular form of reversal delusion is what yields his thought
that if he's unaware of something, then it must be being kept secret.

It also yields his position that he personally is the one that needs to
be convinced because he represents the "normal people", or at least the
only one that counts. :)

benj

Apr 24, 2017, 5:28:59 PM4/24/17
So says the guy whose advaned science education and knowledge enables
him to have the skills to make wooden toys and furniture. But somehow he
found the authority to riticize all those with actual science
credentials and education and real world experience when they point out
that what he read in popular science magazines just might be a bunch of
journalist fantasy.

James McGinn

Apr 24, 2017, 6:55:35 PM4/24/17
One just about has to be mentally retarded to believe H2O can turn to gas at a temperatures below its boiling point. Yet these idiots--possessing zero evidence--argue and fight endlessly to maintain this dimwittedness. It's surreal.

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 7:09:02 PM4/24/17
On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 3:55:35 PM UTC-7, James McGinn wrote:

> One just about has to be mentally retarded to believe H2O can turn to gas at a temperatures below its boiling point. Yet these idiots--possessing zero evidence--argue and fight endlessly to maintain this dimwittedness. It's surreal.

Jim, you are too stupid to use Google? The evidence is easily found, it is in textbooks in virtually every university in the world.

Too stupid to understand the concept of 'evaporation'?

Too stupid to understand the concept of 'sublimation'?

James McGinn

Apr 24, 2017, 8:01:36 PM4/24/17
You have to about be mentally retarded to think that there are any similarities between evaporation/sublimation and boiling. Duhr!

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 8:40:43 PM4/24/17
You have to be mentally deficient to think that the gaseous form of water needs to be above the boiling point of water to exist in the atmosphere, that is just crazy! Without gaseous water in the atmosphere we could not survive. Just what kind of crazy are you?

James McGinn

Apr 24, 2017, 8:51:03 PM4/24/17
You are retarded!

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 8:58:26 PM4/24/17
Better than being a complete dumbfuck, right?

James McGinn

Apr 24, 2017, 9:02:09 PM4/24/17
LOL. Why don't you and poor dumb Sergio go start your own religion?

Serg io

Apr 24, 2017, 9:22:21 PM4/24/17
hey James McGinn, my dog just said "Duhr!"

Hey James McGinn, what do trees do with the water it picks up through
its roots ?

HEY JAMES MCGINN, how does your shirt dry ?

pnal...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 9:30:24 PM4/24/17
Jim has no clue whatsoever...

James McGinn

Apr 25, 2017, 12:16:32 AM4/25/17
You stalkers need to get a life.

James McGinn

Apr 26, 2017, 1:42:38 PM4/26/17
On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 6:22:21 PM UTC-7, Serg io wrote:
Uh, er . . . uh?

James McGinn

Apr 26, 2017, 1:42:59 PM4/26/17
Uh . . .

James McGinn

Apr 26, 2017, 1:44:11 PM4/26/17
So, . . . uh. Are you saying water vapor does not exist? Uh . . er?

James McGinn

Jun 8, 2017, 12:58:49 PM6/8/17
On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 9:09:28 AM UTC-8, James McGinn wrote:
> I'm re-posting this for Denk
>
> Why Scientific Myths Persist
> by Claudius Denk
>
> The right question is why is so much of science deliberately dumbed down to
> appeal to the lowest common denominator of poorly educated science consumer?
>
> The answer is because humans have a deep-seated emotional need to believe
> they understand their world and there is a lot of money to be made
> fulfilling that need. And since most science consumers don't have the time
> or the education to put much effort into it, the most money can be made
> giving these poorly educated science consumers excuses for why they don't
> actually have to literally understand it. And so--for reasons of fiscal
> necessity--many sciences have dumbed down their models to go with the flow
> of what people want to believe. Everybody has sat in their car, windows
> closed, on a hot day. Therefore everybody will find it easy to believe that
> CO2 traps heat, hence the greenhouse effect. Everybody has seen a pot
> boiling on a stove produce a mushroom cloud of vapor, like a thunderstorm.
> Therefore everybody will find it easy to believe the water in the atmosphere
> acts the same way, hence the convection model of storm theory. Everybody can plainly see that the moist air is, often, clear. Therefore everybody will find it easy to believe clear moist air is gaseous.
>
> One consequence of this is that certain assumptions that are associated with
> the models have to be concealed, ignored, or effectively dismissed. And it
> is for this reason that there are certain concepts in every discipline that
> are, literally, taboo. You won't find a meteorologist willing to participating in a discussion about the implications of the fact that the
> boiling temperature of H2O is much higher than that in the ambient
> environment, as Mcginn is saying. You won't find a climatologists willing to
> discuss the known fact that the overall thermal effect of CO2 on the
> atmosphere is miniscule compared to H2O. These realities are, actually, a consequence of our democracy.
>
> CD
>
> Excellent comment Claudius!
>
> Cheers,
>
> James McGinn / Solving Tornadoes

pnal...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2017, 12:34:26 AM6/9/17
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 9:58:49 AM UTC-7, James McGinn wrote:
> On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 9:09:28 AM UTC-8, James McGinn wrote:
> > I'm re-posting this for Denk

You fool no one, Jim, you ARE Denk... as you have so often said so yourself!

Split personalities, like the Three Faces of Eve? Is there a third one, Jim?

Serg io

Jun 9, 2017, 6:50:13 AM6/9/17
Below are McGinns comments in that thread, notice it is only insulting
strangers, no science at all, no math, just anger at people for no
reason, I have put them here so people can read the insults all in one
batch and know what to expect from this lost soul.

McGinn:

"You just whine. Find another hobby.

You have no backbone. You just believe what every non-thinking person
in the public believes.

LOL. Science involves facts, dumbass. Not the opinion of dopes.

The experiments have to be real. Your imagination doesn't count, you
imbecile.

Well, I know it seems real to you. But it has to be real to normal people.

One just about has to be mentally retarded to believe H2O can turn to
gas at a temperatures below its boiling point. Yet these
idiots--possessing zero evidence--argue and fight endlessly to maintain
this dimwittedness. It's surreal.

You have to about be mentally retarded to think that there are any
similarities between evaporation/sublimation and boiling. Duhr!

You are retarded!

Uh, er . . . uh?

Uh . . .

So, . . . uh. Are you saying water vapor does not exist? Uh . . er?

> CD
>
> Excellent comment Claudius!
>
> Cheers,
>
> James McGinn / Solving Tornadoes

You failed to dispute it. All you nitwits could do is find other people
who share you dimwitted consensus beliefs.

THAT ISN'T SCINENCE, DUMBASS!

LOL You spend all your time attacking me to draw attention away from
the fact that YOU FAILED TO DISPUTE MY something, YOU FREEKIN RETARD.

You are a dumbass with nothing interesting to say.

You are boring and dumb."

James McGinn

Jun 24, 2017, 8:05:06 PM6/24/17

James McGinn