On October 21, 1967 - Levitate the Pentagon

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Oct 23, 2009, 4:30:07 AM10/23/09

[note: alt.war.vietnam's Crybaby Vets should not read this]
;-)

Levitate the Pentagon (1967)

On October 21, 1967, 70,000 demonstrators came to Washington,
D.C. to "Confront the War Makers." This was the first of the
biannual Anti-War demonstrations to fuse protest with the
whimsicality of the counter culture and to take civil
disobedience to new levels of confrontation. It would become the
prototype for the demonstrations at the 1968 Democratic
Convention in Chicago -- except that the latter was marred by
extensive police violence.

Initiated and organized by "the Mobe" (the National Mobilization
Committee to End the War in Vietnam), a loose coalition of 150
groups, some of the events of the weekend were planned and some
were not. They provided something for everyone, from committed
pacifists to Vietcong sympathizers, united only by the common aim
of ending the war.

rest of story and photos:
http://www.jofreeman.com/photos/Pentagon67.html

Mac

Oct 23, 2009, 4:55:41 AM10/23/09
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 01:30:07 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
<dr...@coldine.edu> wrote:

>[note: alt.war.vietnam's fake Ph.D. should remove his Binky and read what happened on October 23rd in history

>;-)

> Levitate the Pentagon (1967)

Real Events, not fake New Age Hype...

1910 - Blanche S. Scott became the first woman aviator. Blanche was
known, not as an aviator, but an aviatrix. She soared to an altitude
of 12 feet over Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

1930 - The first miniature golf tournament came crashing to a close in
Chattanooga, TN. The men�s title winner was J.K. Scott, who threatened
(to shove a putter where the sun don�t shine) the first person to make
a sound as he walked next to the windmill and the clown�s mouth. The
women�s top ranker was J.E. Rankin, who scored triple points with an
incredible bank shot off the left cushion and through the cowboy�s
legs, into the duck�s bill, down its gullet (quack!) and through the
mousetrap, into the cup beyond the three-foot-wide pond.

1932 - Fred Allen made his radio debut. His wife, Portland Hoffa,
joined him on the CBS radio broadcast. Allen�s comedy-variety program
was known as "The Linit Bath Club Revue". It then became "The Salad
Bowl Revue", then, "The Sal Hapatica Revue", "The Hour of Smiles",
"Town Hall Tonight", "The Texaco Star Theatre" and finally, someone
with just a bit of sense, came up with "The Fred Allen Show". The
comedic legend stayed on radio for 17 years.

1941 - "Clarinet a la King" was recorded by Benny Goodman and his
orchestra -- on Okeh Records.

1950 - "LIFE" magazine was adorned with a cover picture of Ed Wynn,
and the caption, "TV gets top comics."

1950 - "The World�s Greatest Entertainer" (a billing he gave himself),
Al Jolson (Asa Yoelson), died at the age of 64.

1956 - Jonathan Winters became a TV star. Winters was seen coast to
coast in the first videotape recording to be broadcast. The tape
originated from WRCA-TV in New York City. The broadcast was developed
for NBC network stations.

1958 - Russian poet and novelist Boris Pasternak was awarded the Nobel
Prize in Literature. He, however, was forced to refuse the honor
because of negative Soviet reaction. Pasternak won the award for
writing "Dr. Zhivago".

1961 - Dion�s "Runaround Sue" was the #1 U.S. single. It remained at
the top for two weeks until being knocked off by Jimmy Dean�s "Big Bad
John".

1970 - �Lady Soul�, Aretha Franklin, won a gold record for "Don�t Play
that Song".

1976 - Just one of the highlights of the championship football season
for the Panthers of the University of Pittsburgh: Pitt�s Tony Dorsett
rushed for 180 yards (at Navy, beating them 45-0) and set the NCAA
all-time rushing record of 5,206 career yards.

1978 - CBS Records hiked prices of many vinyl albums by one dollar to
$8.98. Other labels soon joined in.

1983 - Suicidal terrorists drove a truck loaded with TNT into the U.S.
Marines headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon. The explosion that followed
killed 240 U.S. personnel. Many French personnel were also killed in a
similar attack on their location at the same time.

1989 - After 33 years of Soviet rule, Hungary became an independent
republic.

1993 - After his winning home run gave the Blue Jays the win, Joe
Carter stepped on home plate and touched off a SkyDome celebration.
The Toronto Blue Jays beat the Philadelphia Phillies 4 games to 2 in
the World Series to win the title for the second year in a row.

1998 - New in U.S. movie theatres: "Apt Pupil", from Tristar Pictures,
Ian Mckellen, Brad Renfro and David Schwimmer; and New Line Cinema�s
"Pleasantville", with Joan Allen, William H. Macy And Reese
Witherspoon.

Those Were the Days: Current Issues

Birthdays - October 23
1752 - Nicolas Appert (chef, confectioner, chemist, inventor: invented
canning process of heating foods and sealing them in airtight
containers; died June 3, 1841)

1835 - Adlai Ewing Stevenson (23rd Vice President of the U.S.
[1893-1897]; grandfather of U.S. presidential candidate, Adlai
Stevenson [1952, 1956]; died June 14, 1914)

1892 - (Milton) �Gummo� Marx (theatrical agent; vaudeville with his
four brothers (Marx Brothers): The Four Nightingales, Fun in Hi Skule,
Mr. Green�s Reception, Home Again; died Apr 21, 1977)

1906 - Gertrude Ederle (Olympic swimming medalist [1924]: gold:
4x100-meter relay team; bronze: 100-meter freestyle; 1st woman to swim
English Channel [14 hrs., 31 minutes - set a world record]; swimming
instructor of deaf children; International Women�s Sports Hall of
Famer; died Nov 30, 2003)

1914 - �Bruiser� Frank Kinard (College and Pro Football Hall of Famer:
University of Mississippi; NFL�s Brooklyn Dodgers; AAFC�s NY Yankees;
All-Pro: [1940, 1941, 1943, 1944]; �ironman of football�: played 708
out of 720 season minutes [1936]; missed only one game in nine years
of pro ball; died Sep 7, 1985)

1918 - James Daly (Emmy Award-winning actor: Hallmark Hall of Fame:
Eagle in a Cage [1965-1966]; Medical Center, Planet of the Apes, The
Invaders; father of actress Tyne Daly; died July 3, 1978)

1922 - Ewell Blackwell (�The Whip�: baseball: pitcher: Cincinnati Reds
[all-star: 1946-1951], NY Yankees [World Series: 1952], Kansas City
Athletics; died Oct 29, 1996)

1922 - Frank Sutton (actor: Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., The Jim Nabors Hour,
Marty, Hurricane; died June 28, 1974)

1923 - Ned Rorem (Pulitzer Prize-winning composer: Air Music [1976])

1925 - Johnny Carson (Emmy Award-winning comedian, TV host: The
Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson [1977-1978, 1978-1979], 1979-1980,
1991-1992]; The Johnny Carson Show, Who Do You Trust?, Earn Your
Vacation; died Jan 23, 2005)

1927 - Sonny (William) Criss (musician: saxophone: LP: The Bop
Masters, Saturday Morning, Criss Craft, Out of Nowhere, Warm and
Sonny; died Nov, 19, 1977)

1931 - Jim (James Paul David) Bunning (baseball: pitcher: Detroit
Tigers [all-star: 1957, 1959, 1961-1963], Philadelphia Phillies
[pitched seventh perfect game in history (against the NY Mets:
6-21-64)/all-star: 1964, 1966], Pittsburgh Pirates, LA Dodgers; U.S.
Senator from Kentucky)

1931 - Diana Dors (Mavis Fluck) (actress: Children of the Full Moon,
Oliver Twist, Unicorn, Theatre of Blood, The Devil�s Web, Baby Love;
died May 4, 1984)

1935 - Juan �Chi-Chi� Rodriguez (World Golf Hall of Famer: record for
most consecutive wins on Senior PGA Tour [3]; established pro-am
tournament: proceeds for Children�s Hospital in Puerto Rico; founded:
Chi Chi Rodriguez Youth Foundation)

1939 - Charlie Foxx (singer: Mockingbird [w/sister Inez])

1940 - (Eleanor) Ellie Greenwich (Ellie Gay, Ellie Gee) (songwriter
[w/Jeff Barry]: Be My Baby, Chapel of Love, Da Do Ron Ron, Then He
Kissed Me, River Deep, Mountain High; singer: group: Raindrops: What a
Guy, The Kind of Boy You Can�t Forget; solo: LP: Let It Be Written,
Let It Be Sung; on Broadway: Leader of the Pack)

1940 - Pel� (Edson Arantes do Nascimento) (Brazil�s soccer star;
record for most wins: 3 winning teams [1958, 1962, 1970]; most career
goals in international competition [97, 1957-70]; most career
hat-tricks [92, 1956-77] in film: Escape to Victory)

1947 - Greg Ridley (musician [bass], singer: groups: Dino of Dino and
The Danubes; The Dakotas; The Ramrods; VIPs; Art: LP: Supernatural
Fairytales; Spooky Tooth: LPs: It�s All About, Spooky Two, Ceremony,
Cross Purpose; Humble Pie: Town and Country, Sucking on the Sweet
Vine, Big George [Rock On], Smokin', Street Rats; All Stars: LP:
Marriott; Small Faces: LP: Playmates; died Nov 19, 2003)

1948 - John Holliman (TV news reporter: CNN; killed in car crash Sep
12, 1998)

1950 - Ed Smith (football: Colorado College, Denver Broncos)

1956 - Dwight Yoakam (songwriter, singer: I�ll be Gone, Bury Me,
Miner�s Prayer, South of Cincinnati; LP: Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc.,
Etc., A Town South of Bakersfield)

1959 - �Weird Al� Yankovic (singer, comedian: parodies: Eat It, My
Bologna, Another One Rides the Bus, I Love Rocky Road, King of Suede,
I Lost on Jeopardy, Polkas on 45, The Brady Bunch, Like a Surgeon;
actor: The Naked Gun series, Spy Hard, 'Weird Al' Yankovic Live!)

1962 - Doug Flutie (football: Boston College quarterback: Heisman
Trophy winner [1984]; CFL: British Columbia Lions [1991 record:
passing yards gained in a season: 6,619]; NFL: Buffalo Bills, San
Diego Chargers)

1962 - Mike Tomczak (football [quarterback]: Pittsburgh Steelers;
Chicago Bears quarterback: Super Bowl XX)

Chart Toppers - October 23
1947
Near You - The Francis Craig Orchestra (vocal: Bob Lamm)
I Wish I Didn�t Love You So - Vaughn Monroe
Feudin� and Fightin� - Dorothy Shay
Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) - Tex Williams

1955
Love is a Many-Splendored Thing - The Four Aces
Autumn Leaves - Roger Williams
The Shifting, Whispering Sands - Rusty Draper
Love, Love, Love - Webb Pierce

1963
Sugar Shack - Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs
Be My Baby - The Ronettes
Busted - Ray Charles
Love�s Gonna Live Here - Buck Owens

1971
Maggie Mae/Reason to Believe - Rod Stewart
Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves - Cher
Do You Know What I Mean - Lee Michaels
How Can I Unlove You - Lynn Anderson

1979
Rise - Herb Alpert
Pop Muzik - M
I�ll Never Love This Way Again - Dionne Warwick
All the Gold in California - Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers

1987
Lost in Emotion - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
U Got the Look - Prince
I Think We�re Alone Now - Tiffany
Fishin� in the Dark - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Mac

Oct 23, 2009, 4:58:13 AM10/23/09
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 01:30:07 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
<dr...@coldine.edu> wrote ntohing of real interest::

Here is a partial mention of things which hapened today....

On this date:

In 1707, the first Parliament of Great Britain, created by the Acts of
Union between England and Scotland, held its first meeting.

In 1864, forces led by Union Gen. Samuel R. Curtis repelled
Confederate Gen. Sterling Price's army in the Civil War Battle of
Westport in Missouri.

In 1915, tens of thousands of women marched in New York City,
demanding the right to vote.

In 1942, during World War II, Britain launched a major offensive
against Axis forces at El Alamein in Egypt.

In 1946, the United Nations General Assembly convened in New York for
the first time, at an auditorium in Flushing Meadow.

In 1956, a student-sparked revolt against Hungary's Communist rule
began; as the revolution spread, Soviet forces started entering the
country, and the uprising was put down within weeks.

In 1973, President Richard Nixon agreed to turn over White House tape
recordings subpoenaed by the Watergate special prosecutor to Judge
John J. Sirica.

In 1987, the US Senate rejected, 58-42, the Supreme Court nomination
of Robert H. Bork.

In 1989, 23 people were killed in an explosion at Phillips Petroleum
Co.'s chemical complex in Pasadena, Texas. In a case that inflamed
racial tensions in Boston, Charles Stuart claimed he and his pregnant
wife, Carol, had been shot in their car by a black robber. (Carol
Stuart and her prematurely delivered baby died; Charles Stuart later
died, an apparent suicide, after he was implicated.)

In 1995, a jury in Houston convicted Yolanda Saldivar of murdering
Tejano singing star Selena. (Saldivar is serving a life prison
sentence.)

Ten years ago: Sixteen members of the Ku Klux Klan held a silent rally
in New York City as thousands of counter-demonstrators jeered them.
The New York Yankees won the first game of the World Series, beating
the Atlanta Braves, 4-1. (The Yankees went on to sweep the series.)

Five years ago: Gunmen ambushed a group of US-trained Iraqi soldiers
on a road east of Baghdad; around 50 of the soldiers, who were
unarmed, were killed execution-style. A 6.8 magnitude earthquake in
northern Japan killed 40 people. The Boston Red Sox took Game 1 of the
World Series, defeating the St. Louis Cardinals 11-9. Singer Ashlee
Simpson was caught lip-synching during an appearance on NBC's
"Saturday Night Live." Opera singer Robert Merrill died in New
Rochelle, N.Y. at age 87.

One year ago: Badgered by lawmakers on the House Oversight Committee,
former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan denied the nation's
economic crisis was his fault but conceded the meltdown had revealed a
flaw in a lifetime of economic thinking and left him in a "state of
shocked disbelief." The Tampa Bay Rays evened the World Series at one
game apiece by beating the Philadelphia Phillies, 4-2.
Associated Press

Singanas@Texasgulfcoast

Oct 23, 2009, 9:20:44 AM10/23/09
On Oct 23, 3:58 am, Mac <NoSpamTo...@NoSpamToday.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 01:30:07 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
> <d...@coldine.edu> wrote ntohing of real interest::

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
None of the above posts are remotely on topic for the NG.

Cheers, David H
~~~~~~

William Black

Oct 23, 2009, 9:58:40 AM10/23/09
Singanas@Texasgulfcoast wrote:
> On Oct 23, 3:58 am, Mac <NoSpamTo...@NoSpamToday.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 01:30:07 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
>> <d...@coldine.edu> wrote ntohing of real interest::
>>
>> Here is a partial mention of things which hapened today....
>>
>> On this date:
>>
>> In 1707, the first Parliament of Great Britain, created by the Acts of
>> Union between England and Scotland, held its first meeting.

And

>> In 1942, during World War II, Britain launched a major offensive
>> against Axis forces at El Alamein in Egypt.

> None of the above posts are remotely on topic for the NG.

The above are for a.h.b.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.

Ray O'Hara

Oct 23, 2009, 5:21:15 PM10/23/09

"Singanas@Texasgulfcoast" <davidh...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In 1989, 23 people were killed in an explosion at Phillips Petroleum
> Co.'s chemical complex in Pasadena, Texas. In a case that inflamed
> racial tensions in Boston, Charles Stuart claimed he and his pregnant
> wife, Carol, had been shot in their car by a black robber. (Carol
> Stuart and her prematurely delivered baby died; Charles Stuart later
> died, an apparent suicide, after he was implicated.)

apparent suicide indeed.
he drove onto the Tobin Bridge parked his car and jumped.
He missed the water.

redvet

Oct 23, 2009, 6:19:38 PM10/23/09
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:58:40 +0100, William Black
<willia...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Singanas@Texasgulfcoast wrote:
>> On Oct 23, 3:58 am, Mac <NoSpamTo...@NoSpamToday.net> wrote:
>>> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 01:30:07 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
>>> <d...@coldine.edu> wrote ntohing of real interest::
>>>
>>> Here is a partial mention of things which hapened today....
>>>
>>> On this date:
>>>
>>> In 1707, the first Parliament of Great Britain, created by the Acts of
>>> Union between England and Scotland, held its first meeting.
>
>And
>
>>> In 1942, during World War II, Britain launched a major offensive
>>> against Axis forces at El Alamein in Egypt.
>

>> None of the above posts are remotely on topic for the NG.
>
>The above are for a.h.b.

Prolly not even for alt.war.vietnam .
- redvet @ http://host274.hostmonster.com/~vvawaior/