Andrew Cuomo's Coronavirus Response Has Been a Failure

Michael Ejercito

Jul 18, 2020, 11:19:48 AM7/18/20
http://reason.com/2020/07/17/andrew-cuomo-coronavirus-response-new-york-failure/

Andrew Cuomo's Coronavirus Response Has Been a Failure
The media's fawning interviews obscure the New York governor's record.
BILLY BINION | 7.17.2020 2:10 PM

zumaamericastwentyeight010338
(Lev Radin/ZUMA Press/Newscom)
If you're wondering how New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo sees his state's response
to COVID-19, check out the pandemic poster he recently unveiled. In it, the
coronavirus is a rocky summit that New Yorkers scaled with "the power of
we," bolstered by additional assistance from health care workers, essential
workers, out-of-state volunteers, and his daughters, Cara, Mariah, and
Michaela. (The family dog, Captain, stands by for moral support.) Washed
ashore is a cruise ship besieged by an octopus, which we can assume is also,
in some sense, the coronavirus. "WINDS OF FEAR" blow around while President
Donald Trump sits lazily on a half moon crescent. Underneath, a man dangles
precariously from "Boyfriend Cliff," perhaps an homage to quarantine
relationships gone astray, maybe a more pointed jab at daughter Mariah's
boyfriend, Tellef Lundevall. (Sorry, Tellef!) But it's not all doom and
gloom: Atop the mountain is a rainbow, studded with a "Love Wins" banner,
presumably a shout-out to the gays.

"Forget the politics," the poster reads, in a quote attributed to Cuomo.
"Get smart!"

Twitter

The Democratic governor has been the subject of several fawning media
interviews over the course of the last few months, many of them conducted by
his own brother, CNN's Chris Cuomo, with whom he's enjoyed a string of
scrutiny-free conversations. This past Monday he appeared on Jimmy Fallon's
first night back at NBC's 30 Rock Studios for a lighthearted back-and-forth;
Fallon praised how "honest" and "smart" Cuomo is. "We're just worried the
infections are going to come from the other states now, back to New York,
and that would be a tragedy," Cuomo said, lauding New Yorkers for "taming
the beast."

Passing the buck to other states is a savvy political move. But it obscures
Cuomo's own response to COVID-19. As of today, New York has seen more than
32,000 of its residents die from the disease. That's more than seven times
the deaths in Florida, about nine times the deaths in Texas, and more than
four times the deaths in California. It dwarfs the totals in many European
countries, and it nips at Italy's heels. Of the state's total, more than
22,000 deaths came from New York City. Compare that to America's other
densely populated metropolitan areas: Los Angeles has recorded under 4,000
deaths, Boston has just over 1,000, Miami is at 1,202, D.C. has 571, Houston
comes in at 491, and San Francisco has logged 50.

Cuomo certainly isn't to blame for all of the state's troubles. Plenty of
politicians performed poorly, from President Donald Trump down to New York
Mayor Bill de Blasio, and some factors were outside any official's control.
But the governor did plenty wrong.

Let's start with his most egregious misstep. In late March, when COVID-19
measures were still in their nascent stages, not much was known about the
virus. One thing that was known, though, was that the elderly were
significantly more at risk to die should they contract it. Yet Cuomo issued
a mandate requiring nursing homes to accept residents who had tested
positive for COVID-19, including those who were still at risk for spreading
the disease to others. Since then, around 6,500 people in those
facilities—about 6.5 percent of the state's nursing home population—have
died of COVID-19. That's more than any other state's total death toll, save
for California. Cuomo has declined to share which nursing homes were
affected. The directive was not reversed until May 10.

Earlier in March, the governor adopted a blasé attitude about the virus.
"This isn't our first rodeo," he said at a March 2 press conference, after
the state's first known case was announced. "We should relax." The governor
assured everyone that he was implementing a robust contact tracing program
that would track down everyone on the patient's flight from Iran. That never
happened.

TOP ARTICLES
1/5
ACLU Sues Federal Agents Deployed in
Portland

Once the outbreaks became more widespread, hospitals across the country
began depending on their state governments for oxygen supplies. (Remember
that, at the start of these lockdowns, the initial goal was to stem the
spread such that hospitals and the emergency stockpiles weren't
overwhelmed.) An over-reliance on Cuomo proved to be a fatal mistake.
According to an investigation by The Wall Street Journal, many ventilators
sent from the state and city, as well as some from the federal government,
were old and faulty, and many patients died on them.

A spokeswoman for NYC Health + Hospitals told the Journal that many such
machines "were not 'ready to go' when they came" and often required
additional maintenance. Several health care workers claim that patients
assigned those ventilators often worsened with collapsed lungs or similar
complications as the machines were not able to provide proper support.

What's more, Cuomo's near-exclusive focus on ventilators neglected to
address other hospital needs, such as the demand for supplemental oxygen and
oxygen monitors. (Note that the market would have been able to step in here:
A spokeswoman for Airgas said in an interview with the Journal that, though
the company saw increased demand, it was never unable to fulfill a request
for oxygen.) The lack of vital-signs equipment proved detrimental as well.
Health care workers detailed stories of patients pulling off their oxygen
masks while alone. Without monitors, they died.

Meanwhile, Cuomo got drawn into a public power struggle with de Blasio. The
mayor announced a city-wide shelter-in-place on March 17; Cuomo squashed
that on March 18; then Cuomo issued his own stay-at-home order on March 20.
Something similar happened when de Blasio announced that the city's schools
would remain shuttered through the academic year: Cuomo declared that only
he had that authority and described de Blasio's order as the mayor's
"opinion." (New York City almost always makes its own decisions about school
closures.)

Whatever you think about either of these policies, the uncertainty
engendered by the Cuomo–de Blasio feud did no one any good. A "truly
effective leader," Anthony Fisher wrote at Insider, "would work this all out
behind the scenes and not in front of an exceptionally anxious public in
need of clear guidance on how they're allowed to live their lives during a
crisis with no end in sight." And that back-and-forth may have had
consequences beyond prompting confusion. The Journal reports that patients
in New York City were often transferred between hospitals without the
relevant medical and treatment information, even when those patients were
not in stable condition. The city blames the state and the state blames the
city.

But mixed messaging defined Cuomo's initial response to COVID-19, which
teetered between cavalier and dismissive. Though he's said he wishes he
"blew the bugle" sooner, he has spent considerably more time blaming the
press, the experts, and the president.

New York's crisis moment has passed for now, with the curve flattened and
daily deaths bottoming out. De Blasio celebrated a milestone on Tuesday,
announcing that, for the first time in months, New York City went a full 24
hours without registering a single death from COVID-19. That's good news.
But if the government's response hadn't been so incompetent, that landmark
may have come a lot earlier.

"Tell the People the Truth and They Will Do the Right Thing," the pandemic
poster reads, captioned above a cartoon image of Cuomo. If only he took that
advice.

https://www.avg.com

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jul 18, 2020, 12:01:45 PM7/18/20
While Americans continue to die from COVID-19, it's actually the POTUS
who is failing as evident by his current attempt to cover up his
failure by trying to hide the hospitalization data from the CDC.

Just as for Watergate the cover-up was worse than the crime, the CDC
cover-up is worse than the failure.

The only real way to stop the COVID-19 pandemic here in America before
it overruns all our hospitals is for us, the people of America, to
redouble our efforts to immediately find out even while On-line, at
any given moment, who among us are unwittingly contagious (i.e.
pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic) in order to convince them to call
their doctor and self-quarantine per their doctor.

Indeed, I am simply wonderfully hungry (
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) and hope you, Michael, also have a
healthy appetite too.

So how are you ?

HeartDoc Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
and author of the 2PD-OMER Approach:

Michael Ejercito

Jul 19, 2020, 12:35:43 PM7/19/20
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 9:01:44 AM UTC-7, Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
wrote:
there is no way for the CDC to hide hospitalization data.

What are you writing about?

> The only real way to stop the COVID-19 pandemic here in America before
> it overruns all our hospitals is for us, the people of America, to
> redouble our efforts to immediately find out even while On-line, at
> any given moment, who among us are unwittingly contagious (i.e.
> pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic) in order to convince them to call
> their doctor and self-quarantine per their doctor.
>
> Indeed, I am simply wonderfully hungry (
> http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) and hope you, Michael, also have a
> healthy appetite too.
>
> So how are you ?

I am wonderfully hungry!

Michael

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jul 19, 2020, 1:30:17 PM7/19/20
MichaelE wrote:
> HeartDoc Andrew, in the Holy Spirit, boldly wrote:
>> MichaelE wrote:
>>
>> > http://reason.com/2020/07/17/andrew-cuomo-coronavirus-response-new-york-failure/
>> >
>> > Andrew Cuomo's Coronavirus Response Has Been a Failure
>> > The media's fawning interviews obscure the New York governor's record.

Source:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.bible.prophecy/YakRDAHcLW0/tZ3BgPXnBwAJ

>> While Americans continue to die from COVID-19, it's actually the POTUS
>> who is failing as evident by his current attempt to cover up his
>> failure by trying to hide the hospitalization data from the CDC.
>>
>> Just as for Watergate the cover-up was worse than the crime, the CDC
>> cover-up is worse than the failure.
>
> there is no way for the CDC to hide hospitalization data.

"The Trump administration last week abruptly shifted control of
important coronavirus data from the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention to top officials at Health and Human Services, the Cabinet
department that includes the CDC, alarming public health experts
within and outside the administration. The move took information on
virus-related hospitalizations, intensive care capacity, staffing and
crucial equipment and medicine away from an ostensibly apolitical,
science-driven agency charged with managing pandemics and health
statistics, putting it in the hands of political appointees close to
the president."

Source:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/Editorial-Anatomy-of-a-coronavirus-cover-up-15416768.php

> What are you writing about?

See above.

>> The only real way to stop the COVID-19 pandemic here in America before
>> it overruns all our hospitals is for us, the people of America, to
>> redouble our efforts to immediately find out even while On-line, at
>> any given moment, who among us are unwittingly contagious (i.e.
>> pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic) in order to convince them to call
>> their doctor and self-quarantine per their doctor.
>>
>> Indeed, I am simply wonderfully hungry (
>> http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) and hope you, Michael, also have a
>> healthy appetite too.
>>
>> So how are you ?
>>
> I am wonderfully hungry!

8:3) us to hunger, I note that you, Michael, not only don't have
COVID-19 but are rapture (Luke 17:37) ready and pray (2 Chronicles
7:14) that our Everlasting (Isaiah 9:6) Father in Heaven continues to
give us "much more" (Luke 11:13) Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) so
that we'd have much more of His Help to always say/write that we're
"wonderfully hungry" in **all** ways including especially caring to
http://bit.ly/ConvinceItForward (John 15:12 as shown by
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) with all glory (
http://bit.ly/Psalm117_ ) to GOD (aka HaShem, Elohim, Abba, DEO), in
the name (John 16:23) of LORD Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Amen.

Laus DEO !

from around the heart