Brazilian vs. Portuguese

Ruud Harmsen

Sep 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/30/95
I post this on behalf of a friend who doesn't have Usenet
access. He's Mario Eduardo Viaro, vi...@mx300d.ids-mannheim.de, but next year
again in Brasil as maev...@cat.cce.usp.br. Note that due to an editing
problem, most of the > marked lines in the beginning of the article are his.
========================================================>
> In article <449grj$a...@news.ccit.arizona.edu> h...@GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU (Hung
J >> > Lu) writes:>From: h...@GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU (Hung J Lu)>> > >Subject: Re:
Brazil v. Portugal>> > >Date: 26 Sep 1995 18:30:11 GMT>> >
> [...]
>> in Northeastern Brazil. It will surely be the normativ one for the future.
>> /S/ is the sh sound of show.

>> You are right, the ti as /tSi/ is a carioca innovation. But it is the better
>> form in Sao Paulo, Minas Gerais, Parana and part of Northeastern (Ceara, at
>> least and Bahia?). I try myself to pronounciate so, but it is hard, because
>> in my city only the girls did so "to seem more delicated". I remember that
>> in the gymnasium, a teacher of Bauru (a city in the interior of Sao Paulo,
>> one hour far from mine) has come and he pronounciated this way. In the begin,
>> we though he was effeminate, but he was very young and charmant and he made
>> success between the girls. So, my pals began to pronounciate this way to
>> imitate him and to make the same succes! All that has surely changed today:
>> I can not recognize my city when I go there to visit my parents.
>> A carioca pronounce estou as /iSto/ or - as all Brazilians - /to/. A lisboeta
>> will pronounce it /iSto/, /ISto/- with a ieri: closed central unrounded sound,
>> or /Sto/ (perhaps too /to/). The diphthong is very formal and seldom.

>It is true and false. Where an educated people speaks calmly it is very easy
>to understand. But I remember I saw a film one time and I could not understand
>one word, only there were formal situations! I had an oncle of Azores and he
>died before I understood one single word! But once time I went to Northeast
>in a bus and beside me a man sat down and he spoke the 52 hours of the trip,
>but I didn`t get anything! He was from Sertao da Bahia, and changed not only
>v for h, but also f, j and so one.
>A sentence: vou beber um vinho de jenipapo ja ja turned to:
> /hobE'be ~u'h~i dZi'hEnipap'ha'ha/
>I cannot understand well a Bolivian, but can understand an Argentin or a
>Madrid person. I cannot understand well an Azores people, but I find easy
>the Galician. Enygmas?

>Yes, I lived during my highschool times with a Chilene and a carioca.
>Sometimes there was easier to understand the Chilene than the carioca.
>He used to speak too many slang, and the sh-sounds didn't help! The Sao
>Paulo and Rio de Janeiro people used to ridicularize each other. I do know
>why. Sincerely the best form is the neutre one, the mixture of Sao Paulo
>and Rio variants. I find the Northeastern variant very beautiful, but it
>is not recognized as the best one, at least in the South. You know, ubi
>munera ibi bona. The neutre variant would be:
>- The r not trilled but uvular at the begin of the word, after s,n,l and
> when written rr. In the other situations, a single flap.
>- Not to open toneless vowels,
>- Not to use exagerately the sound sh for s before consonants
>- Not to drop final consonants (except the r of infinitive perhaps)
>- To pronounciate ti as chi and di as dji (affricates)
>- To pronounce final e and o as /i/ or /u/.
>You can see, a new koine is happening, with strong influence of the

Karl

Oct 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/4/95
to rhar...@knoware.nl
Thanks for the description of Brazilian dialects.

I am a fan of Brazilian music, and have enjoyed a few movies,
and your comments explain the variations in dialect that I've
heard: such as why Elis Regina pronounced words differently
(more of the "aish") than some others. And the silly joke
about "Caravana Rolodai" being an attempt to spell the English
"Holiday".

Thanks

Karl King

Karl