yo ni toute iku (世に問うていく)

Ben Bullock

Jul 18, 2016, 7:38:20 PM7/18/16
What's the grammar behind the toute in

yo ni toute iku (世に問うていく)?

http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E4%B8%96%E3%81%AB%E5%95%8F%E3%81%86

Examples:

江戸時代に遊女が世間知らずを装うため、蒲鉾を指してこれが魚なのかと問うたことに由来するといわれる。 例文帳に追加
It is said to originate from the prostitutes in the Edo period, pointing at kamaboko, who would ask whether it was fish, pretending to be naive.

鈴木眞哉・藤本正行は共著『信長は謀略で殺されたのか』の中で、フロイスの信長評が世間で広く信用されているのに対し、光秀評は無視されていると記し、光秀に対する評価を見直すべきではないかと問うている。 例文帳に追加
Masaya SUZUKI and Masayuki FUJIMOTO inquire in their book "Was Nobunaga killed by the plot?", "Evaluations of Nobunaga by Frois are trusted by the public, whereas evaluations of Mitsuhide were ignored. Mitsuhide's evaluations should be reviewed."

Bart Mathias

Jul 18, 2016, 10:37:08 PM7/18/16
Some dialects didn't go the (imaginary) ...pi-te/-ta --> ...t-te/ta
route with ...p- verbs (the source of modern ...u- verbs), but went
something like ...fi-te/-ta --> ...f-te/-ta --> ...u-te/-ta instead.
Mostly central Japanese, but apparently that has picked up a sense of
elegance, so it gets used elsewhere as well.

At least, that's my best understanding of the matter.

Bart Mathias

Jul 18, 2016, 10:44:55 PM7/18/16
On 18/07/16 13:38, Ben Bullock wrote:
> What's the grammar behind the toute in
>
> yo ni toute iku (世に問うていく)?

Or maybe http://oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/1919248.html has a better answer.
Is it pretty much reserved to that single verb, I wonder.

Ben Bullock

Jul 20, 2016, 4:30:51 AM7/20/16
Thank you for this link and also the other explanation. I had not
noticed this until recently when Prime Minister Abe used this in a
speech.