Offline USGS topo isocline map desktop app for creation & viewing of mobile device GPX tracks

Bob J Jones

Mar 26, 2018, 5:33:08 PM3/26/18
Do you know of an offline USGS topo isocline map desktop app for creation &
viewing of mobile device GPX tracks?

Two goals:
a. Create the backcountry track on the desktop map based on following
ridges and valleys using the isocline lines and then load that created
track into the mobile device for on-the-ground routing.

b. Create the backcountry track on the ground using the mobile device and
then loading that gpx track into the offline desktop map app for
adjustments based on the isocline map route.

I can do both of these tasks with *online* map apps such as caltopo or even
Google Earth with USGS topographic overlays, but what I'm asking for is an
offline desktop app for Windows that does the same thing that caltopo does
online.

I know a Windows freeware offline GPX track editing and viewing app exists
because I remember seeing it in the past, but I don't remember what the app
was and I can't find it in a search.

VanguardLH

Mar 27, 2018, 1:45:01 AM3/27/18
Bob J Jones

Originally to: alt.comp.os.windows-10
sci.geo.satellite-nav
alt.comp.freeware
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Why are you so rude as to shotgun other communities but then yank away
the discussion to your choice of a "home" newsgroup? If you don't want
to discuss your topic in the other newsgroups then don't post there!
Stop shotgunning to multiple newsgroups and and then [trying to] yank
away the discussion.

The more newsgroups to which you cross-post then the less likely your
post is on-topic to each one.

Bob J Jones

Mar 27, 2018, 6:27:10 AM3/27/18
I agree with you.

I didn't want to set the followup but the news server required it.
We can ask aioe why they forced it on me, as they're the ones who forced me
to choose one for the fup on the original post.

Anyways, it may be that an offline desktop tool I want doesn't even exist
because I searched like hell and can't find it, so the whole question was
wasted in the first place if a free offline mapping tool doesn't exist.

If I send this without a followup, it won't send as it complains that a
follow up must be sent. If I set the followup to all the groups, it says
too many followups.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Mar 27, 2018, 2:46:26 PM3/27/18
On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 21:33:03 +0000 (UTC), Bob J Jones wrote:

> Do you know of an offline USGS topo isocline map desktop app for creation &
> viewing of mobile device GPX tracks?

QGIS is a free open source desktop GIS program, that rivals the best
commercial programs of that category:

www.qgis.org

It does (much) more than you need and consists of components, that have
been continually developed and improved for more than 20 years by now.
If you want even more, you could check the OSGeo project, which has the
server components to publish the results of your work worldwide. ;-)

www.osgeo.org

There are other programs around, which should also fit your needs. A
somewhat dated listing of free GIS software can be found on the website
of the FOSSGIS project:

freegis.org

BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
===============================================================--(Oops!)===

Bob J Jones

Mar 27, 2018, 5:13:16 PM3/27/18
In <news:fhvcg5...@mid.individual.net>, Mike Easter
<Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote:

> The idea is that shotgun cross-posting is a bad idea.

We can kill this thread because nobody on the four newsgroups knows more
than I do at the moment, and while I know a little bit (see below), I know
almost nothing.

So this thread never had a chance, with or without the AIOE limitation on
crossposting, simply because the knowledge level doesn't appear to exist.

That's OK but that's why I cast a wide net, which is what you're objecting
to, which I understand.

In fact, I don't disagree with you but what group knows about free offline
gpx mapping apps for the Windows desktop?

> Typically the 'reason' some people cross-post is to expose their
> question to as many eyeballs as possible.

The problem with my question is that almost nobody knows the answer.

> Another issue is that while aioe has some advantages for some people, it
> also has some significant disadvantages.

The aioe server is ok for me. It's not me whose complaining. It's the other
people who are complaining. So the AIOE server isn't good for them. :)

On topic, I have lurked enough to know that if you don't know about it
Mike, then it's hard to find someone who does.

I found an instance on the net though of a trialware product called OZi
Explorer which seems to do some (maybe all) of what I'm asking.
http://www.oziexplorer.com

If that Ozi Explorer Windows trialware doesn't work to give me offline free
USGS topographic map access for creating gpx tracks and for importing and
explorting gpx tracks, then I fear nothing on Windows will since I pretty
much have exhausted the Internet and all four newsgroups in the newsgrop
line above.

Since I seem to be the only "expert" (as someone said) on these newsgroups,
that's just a fact which means we can pretty much kill this thread until I
write the summary, which will take some time.

Thanks for your kind advice.
--
Note I had to set a single fup but please feel free to post where you feel
most comfortable as it's AIOE who is forcing the fup - not me.

Bob J Jones

Mar 28, 2018, 12:08:54 AM3/28/18
In <news:p9ec56$1uoa$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Bob J Jones
<bobj...@startMail.com> wrote:

> Since I seem to be the only "expert" (as someone said) on these newsgroups,
> that's just a fact which means we can pretty much kill this thread until I
> write the summary, which will take some time.

I think I have found the only solution that exists on the planet that fits
the requirements, which is, I admit, rather convoluted, where the process
entails the following one-time sequence based on my research to date.

First download and install the OziExplorer Trial version software.
Then download and install the OziExplorer PDF-to-TIF Conversion software.
After that, download and install the GPSbabel track-conversion software.
And, for maps, download USGS PDF maps of the desired quadrangles.
Then you convert those USGS geocalibrated PDF maps to TIF files.
If necessary, you can stitch contiguous geocalibrated TIF maps together.

After that one-time sequence, you now have offline USGS free maps on your
desktop computer where you can work with tracks.

I'm not sure yet how to create tracks on the desktop, but you can certainly
convert GPX tracks to OziExplorer "plt" tracks to display them.

Yes, it's convoluted - but I don't think anyone on the planet has a better
desktop answer that is offline, free, and which uses USGS topographic maps.

I'll let you know more when I find out more.

Bob J Jones

Mar 28, 2018, 4:43:17 AM3/28/18
In <news:p9f4gj$vbd$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Bob J Jones
<bobj...@startMail.com> wrote:

> I'll let you know more when I find out more.

This is my first attempt today at getting offline freeware USGS map apps to
work on Windows, so this is just the rough draft tutorial that others can
follow to:
a. Load USGS topographic maps online & stitch them & calibrate them
b. Create and import and export tracks and routes on that calibrated map
c. Doing everything offline, using freeware, on a Windows computer

Main URLS:
1. OziExplorer Trial (Map & Track & Elevation Profile Viewer):
http://www.oziexplorer.com/
http://www.oziexplorer3.com/eng/downloads/395/oziexp_setup.exe
2. OziExplorer conversion of map PDF to OziExplorer compatible TIF files:
http://www.oziexplorer3.com/utils/image_convert.zip.
3. GPSbabel (track conversion):
https://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html
4. USGS topo maps:
https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/launch/
Summary of key steps:
a. Download and install OziExplorer Trial version software.
b. Download and install OziExplorer PDF-to-TIF Conversion software.
c. Download and install GPSbabel track-conversion software.
d. Download extremely detailed USGS PDF maps of the desired quadrangles.
--------
e. Convert the USGS geocalibrated PDF maps to geocalibrated TIF files.
f. Stitch contiguous TIF maps together to create a composite map (if
desired):
g. Load and calibrate the USGS topographic map for your area of interest.
--------
h. Convert your mobile-device tracks into OziExplorer "plt" tracks.
i. Load and display the mobile-phone track overlayed on that USGS map.
j. Display the elevation/speed profile by distance/time.
--------
k. Create routes & save as GPX tracks for import into a mobile device
l. Test results online (just as a doublecheck of the accuracy)
A. Download and install OziExplorer Trial version software.

1. Download oziexp_setup.exe version 3.95 from http://www.oziexplorer.com/
2. Doubleclick oziexp_setup.exe and follow installation prompts.
3. Move the resulting desktop OziExplorer.lnk & OziExplorer Trial.lnk
shortcuts into your start menu.
4. Start the trial version (OziExpTrial.exe).

The installer defaults to c:\OziExplorer
I put it in C:\app\database\oziexplorer
I did not check any additional language files.
It will create 2 desktop icons, one is "shareware" & the other "trial".

OziExplorerTrial.lnk
Target: C:\app\database\oziexplorer\OziExpTrial.exe
OziExplorer.lnk
Target: C:\app\database\oziexplorer\OziExp.exe
B. Download and install OziExplorer PDF-to-TIF Conversion software.

1. Download the OziExplorer PDF-to-TIFF converter:
http://www.oziexplorer3.com/utils/image_convert.zip.
2. Extract this zip file (it will create .\image_convert\).
3. Move the "image_convert" directory to your previously installed
oziExplorer hierarchy.
4. Put a shorcut in your start menu pointing to
./image_convert/ImageConvertOzi.exe

I moved the image_convert directory to:
C:\app\database\oziexplorer\image_convert

ImageConvertOzi.lnk
Target: C:\app\database\oziexplorer\image_convert\ImageConvertOzi.exe
C. Download and install GPSbabel track-conversion software.

1. Download and install GPSbabel freeware to convert track formats
https://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html

2. It wants to go in C:\Program Files (x86)\GPSBabel
I put it in C:\app\database\gpsbabel
You can check the box to create a desktop icon.
GPSBabel.lnk
Target: C:\app\database\gpsbabel\gpsbabelfe.exe
D. Download USGS PDF maps of the desired quadrangles.

1. Create a directory to store your downloaded USGS topographic maps.
mkdir C:\app\database\usgs_map\
2. Go to the USGS map site https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/launch/
3. At top left, press "Download Maps".
4. That will take you to this view of the United States

https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/?basemap=b1&category=histtopo,ustopo&title=Map%20View
5. Note the right pane contains a map of the United States.
6. Left mouse drag your desired location to the center of that map.
7. Click the + (zoom) 7 times (re-center as needed) to see quadrangles.
8. It's simplest if you zoom until you have only 1 or 2 quadrangles in
view.
9. In the left sidebar, click the blue "Find Products" button.
10. In the left sidebar "US Topo Available Products" section, click
"results".
11. In the left sidebar, scroll until you see the desired quadrangle.
12. Once you find the desired quadrangle, right click its "Download"
button.
13. Choose to "Save Link As" so as to download the ~30MB PDF file.
14. Save the ~30MB PDF as the name of the quadrangle.pdf

Read this document for instructions on how to read the USGS map margins:
http://education.usgs.gov/lessons/mapmargin.pdf (details)
http://education.usgs.gov/lessons/map_margins_2p.pdf (summary)
E. Convert the USGS geocalibrated PDF maps to geocalibrated TIF files.

1. You must put your PDFs in a folder all by themselves for the next steps!
c:\tmp\usgs_01.pdf
c:\tmp\usgs_02.pdf

That folder can't have a space (e.g., this will fail "New Folder").
So stick with short folder names.
2. Start ./image_convert/ImageConvertOzi.exe & point it to that map folder:
c:\tmp\
or
C:\app\database\usgs_map\
3. Wait (minutes) for the converter to actually finish!
Do not do anything else as the converter may pop to the fore.
There will be a cmd window for each PDF file converted.
That command window may give the error message:
ERROR 1: Could not find a OCG with Ref (86:0)
ERROR 1: Couldn't find group for reference to set OFF.
(You can ignore those errors, apparently.)
Only when the successive cmd windows disappear, is the conversion done!
When the cmd windows disappear, close the original conversion window.
4. You'll notice the command that was run was the following syntax:
c:\> .\gdal_translate -of GTiff -co COMPRESS=LZW -co "TFW=YES"
"C:\tmp\usgs_01.pdf" "C:\tmp\ozi_converted\usgs_01.tif"
c:\> .\gdal_translate -of GTiff -co COMPRESS=LZW -co "TFW=YES"
"C:\tmp\usgs_02.pdf" "C:\tmp\ozi_converted\usgs_02.tif"
5. You now have a compatible TIF file for each of your USGS topo maps.
C:\tmp\ozi_converted\usgs_01.tif
C:\tmp\ozi_converted\usgs_02.tif
or
C:\app\database\usgs_map\ozi_converted\filename.tfw (contains
coordinates)
C:\app\database\usgs_map\ozi_converted\filename.tif (the USGS topo map)
F. If necessary, stitch multiple TIF maps together for a composite map:
Note that you can leave the outside margins with white space.
It's only the edges that touch each other that must be cropped.

In my case, I downloaded four aligned quadrangles (two by two).
1. Test that a TIF file opens in your editor of choice.
2. If desired, make a copy of each TIF quadrangle, e.g.,
c:\> copy usgs_01.tif usgs_01_cropped.tif
c:\> copy usgs_02.tif usgs_02_cropped.tif
3. I used Irfanview to crop but you can use any editor you like.
4. Open each file in your editor & crop to the 4 corners & save.
usgs_01_cropped.tif
usgs_02_cropped.tif

I created bot_left.tif & bot_right.tif & top_left.tif & top_right.tif.
Then I created a horizontal panorama of the top.tif and bot.tif.
Then I created the final vertical panorama of usgsmap.tif.

5. Slap the files together using any photo editor you like:
Irfanview: File > Open > usgs_01_cropped.tif
Irfanview: Image > Create Panorama Image > Horizontal (if desired)
Irfanview: Image > Create Panorama Image > Add current file
Irfanview: Image > Create Panorama Image > Add images
Irfanview: Image > Create Panorama Image > Create image
6. Save the file noting that it is a composite tiled map.
usgs_01-02_cropped.tif
Unfortunately OziExplorer expects degrees decimal minutes (DdM).
DMS = "degrees minutes seconds"; DdM = "degrees decimal minutes"

These are equivalent latitude & longitude coordinates:
DMS latitude 25d 15m, 0s longitude 110d 07m 30s
D.d latitude 25.25d, longitude 110.125d
DM.m latitude 25d 15.0000m, longitude 110d 7.5000m

Here are web sites that will convert from DMS to DdM.
http://www.directionsmag.com/site/latlong-converter/
http://jeeep.com/details/coord
http://rumkin.com/tools/gps/degrees.php
https://www.pgc.umn.edu/apps/convert/

Sites like these don't convert to DdM:
https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal

When stitching four maps together into a checkerboard, by taking the
corners of the four maps, you'll get 3 longitude & 3 latitude values
for 9 corners (which is a good number of points to calibrate).
G. Load and calibrate the USGS topographic map for your area of interest.

0. Read the help for calibrating maps & creating *.map calibration files:
http://www.oziexplorer3.com/eng/help/creating_maps.html
http://www.oziexplorer3.com/eng/help/spkeys.html
http://what-when-how.com/gps/moving-from-paper-to-digital-maps-gps/
Generally choose points near or at opposite corners.
Do not place two points on the same horizontal or vertical line.
Spread out the points as much as possible.

Note that the USGS topo maps are in degrees,minute,seconds (DMS) format.
25d 15m 25d 15m 25d 15m
110d 07m 30s 110d 00m 108d 45m 30s
+----------------------++----------------------+
| || |
| || |
| QUADRANGLE 1 || QUADRANGLE 2 |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
+----------------------++----------------------+
25d 07m 30" 25d 07m 30" 25d 07m 30"
110d 07m 30s 110d 00m 108d 45m 30s
Here is the conversion of DMS to DdM.

25 15.0000 25 15.0000 25 15.0000
110 7.5000 110 0.0000 108 45.5000
+----------------------++----------------------+
| || |
| || |
| QUADRANGLE 1 || QUADRANGLE 2 |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
+----------------------++----------------------+
25 7.5000 25 7.5000 25 7.5000
110 7.5000 110 0.0000 108 45.5000

1. Copy the USGS TIF converted map to .\OziExplorer\Maps\usgs_01.tif
(The GUI will default to C:\app\database\oziexplorer\Maps\)

2. Note that USGS topographic maps are easy to calibrate because each
corner is marked with the latitude and longitude, so write down the
coordinates for each corner below for your USGS map:
TopLeft: 25deg 15min 00sec N, 110deg 07min 30sec W
BotRight: 25deg 07min 30sec N, 110deg 00min 00sec W
-----
TopRight: 25deg 15min 00sec N, 110deg 00min 00sec W
BotLeft: 25deg 07min 30sec N, 110deg 07min 30sec W
Note that my USGS map said it was both DATUM WGS84 & NAD83.

3. Manually convert the USGS corner DMS coordinates to DdM:
http://www.directionsmag.com/site/latlong-converter/

TopLeft: 25.250 N, 110.125 W (25 15.00 N, 110 7.50 W)
BotRight: 25.125 N, 110.000 W (25 7.50 N, 110 0.00 W)
-----
TopRight: 25.250 N, 110.000 W (25 15.00 N, 110 0.00 W)
BotLeft: 25.125 N, 110.125 W (25 7.50 N, 110 7.50 W)

4. Start the trial version (OziExpTrial.exe).

5. Click OziExpTrial: File > Load & Calibrate Map Image
The GUI will default to C:\app\database\oziexplorer\Maps\
where you can select your single map tile or you can select
your stitched contiguous map tiles

6. On the right pane, click the "Point 1" tab.

7. Left click on the top left corner of the USGS map to mark "Point 1"
where you should see a red "bullseye" placed on that top-left corner.

8. Manually type the top left DdM coordinates into the Point 1 tab
Lat and Long DdM boxes in the right pane.

9. Do the same for the other 3 corners of the USGS map (point 2, 3, & 4).
(If desired, do the same for any desired stitch point 1 through 9.)
Point 1 = lat N, lon W (top left)
Point 2 = lat N, lon W (top right)
Point 3 = lat N, lon W (bottom left)
Point 4 = lat N, lon W (bottom right)
------
Point 5 = lat N, lon W (top middle)
Point 6 = lat N, lon W (middle middle)
Point 7 = lat N, lon W (bottom middle)
------
Point 8 = lat 37 15N, lon W (middle left)
Point 9 = lat 37 15N, lon W (middle right)

10. Then press Save in the calibration popup window.
It will ask for a name, which will default to name.map.
For example, if the map loaded was topomap.tif,
then the new name will be topomap.map
And the default location will be
C:\app\database\oziexplorer\Maps\topomap.map

11. Check calibration by comparing measurements to the USGS printed ruler.
OziExplorerTrial: View > Distance Display >
(Click on the left edge of the rule & then on the right end of the
ruler)
(For example, it should display 3km for the standard USGS 3km ruler.)

12. Optionally, when you're done, zoom to the area you like & save:
OziExpTrial: Map > Map Open Position > Save Map Open Position > Yes
Note: Here is a table I used for the 9 points of 4 map tiles:
Point 1 = lat ____N, lon ____W (top left corner)
Point 2 = lat ____N, lon ____W (top right corner)
Point 3 = lat ____N, lon ____W (bottom left corner)
Point 4 = lat ____N, lon ____W (bottom right corner)
Point 5 = lat ____N, lon ____W (top middle edge)
Point 6 = lat ____N, lon ____W (middle middle - center of 4 map tiles)
Point 7 = lat ____N, lon ____W (bottom middle)
Point 8 = lat ____N, lon ____W (middle left edge)
Point 9 = lat ____N, lon ____W (middle right edge)
H. Convert your mobile-device tracks into OziExplorer "plt" tracks.

1. Start gpsbabel
2. In the "Input" section, set the Format = GPX XML
3. In the "Input" section, press the "Filenames" button
and locate your GPX file "C:\path\file.gpx"
(Notice the automatic quotes around the file spec.)
4. In the "output" section, select the "OziExplorer" format
5. Choose a desired file path and name (e.g., C:\path\file.plt).
6. Press the "OK" button and look to see whether it was successful:
C:\> gpsbabel -w -r -t -i gpx -f C:/tmp/file.gpx -o ozi -F
C:/tmp/trackfile_001.plt
Translation successful
7. You can close GPS Babel by pressing the "Close" button.

NOTE: The input file name can have quotes but not the output file name.
I. Load and display the mobile-phone track overlayed on that USGS map.

1. Put the newly created PLT file in the default location:
C:\app\database\map\oziexplorer\Data\trackfile_001.plt
2. Start the trial version (OziExpTrial.exe).
3. If the map isn't automatically loaded, then load the desired USGS map.
4. Load any number of PLT tracks that you want to view on the map:
(if needed) OziExpTrial: Map > Clear All Tracks on Map
(if needed) OziExpTrial: View > Show tracks on Map
OziExpTrial: File > Load from file > Load Track From File >
trackfile_001.plt
5. That displays your track on the USGS calibrated map.

NOTE: To load a track into OziExplorer over a blank map:
1. Start the trial version (OziExpTrial.exe).
2. OziExpTrial: Map > Blank Map
3. OziExpTrial: Load > Load Track From File > file.plt
4. That displays the track on the blank map.
J. Display the elevation/speed profile by distance/time.

1. Start the trial version (OziExpTrial.exe).
2. OziExpTrial: Load > Load Track From File > trackfile.plt
3. That displays the track on the underlying map.
4. OziExpTrial: View > Track > Track Profile
5. That track profile chart has choices of:
x-axis: Distance or time
y-axis: Altitude or speed
K. Create routes & save as GPX tracks for import into a mobile device

1. Start the trial version (OziExpTrial.exe).
2. If the map isn't automatically loaded, then load the desired USGS map.
3. Add a desired track
OziExpTrial: Map > Add or Drag Map Object > Track Point
4. Keep left-mouse button clicking to create a track out of track points.
5. When done defining the track, then save it using
OziExpTrial: File > Save to File > Save Track to File > fname.plt

Then convert that PLT file to a GPX file with GPS Babel:
1. Start gpsbabel
2. In the "Input" section, set the Format = OziExplorer
3. In the "Input" section, press the "Filenames" button
and locate your PLT file "C:\path\file.plt"
(Notice the automatic quotes around the file spec.)
4. In the "output" section, select the "GPX XML" format
5. Choose a desired file path and name (e.g., C:\path\file.gpx).
6. Press the "OK" button and look to see whether it was successful:
gpsbabel -w -r -t -i ozi -f C:/path/testtrack.plt -o gpx -F
testtrack.gpx
Translation successful
7. You can close GPS Babel by pressing the "Close" button.
L. Test results online

1. To test online point a web browser to http://caltopo.com
2. Import your GPX track by pressing the "Import" button & hitting OK.
3. Zoom to the area where your track should be displaying
4. Check that the track is as you expected it to be

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Mar 28, 2018, 12:58:34 PM3/28/18
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 08:43:10 +0000 (UTC), Bob J Jones wrote:

> Summary of key steps:
<Huge Snip>

Or:
1. Install QGIS
2. Load *.gpx, save it as *.shp to have editable layer
3. Add USGS topo basemap as WMS service
-> https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/services
-> e.g. WMS Topo (large): https://services.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/services/USGSImageryTopoLarge/MapServer/WmsServer?
4. Edit the *.shp
5. Save *.shp as *.gpx
Done.

Or use (again with USGS WMS/WMTS services):
* JOSM with EditGpx plugin:
https://josm.openstreetmap.de
* QMapShack:
http://www.qlandkarte.org
* GDV Spatial Commander (free, registration required; German GUI):
www.gdv.com/gdv/produkte-downloads/gdv-freeware/spatial-commander.html

I haven't followed these 3 programs closely. But they should all support
the functionality you need. There are several others. But most of the
interesting ones are abandoned. (Though the last versions usually would
work, nonetheless...)

Bob J Jones

Mar 28, 2018, 4:01:20 PM3/28/18
In <news:p9fkiq$1n7i$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Bob J Jones
<bobj...@startMail.com> wrote:

> This is my first attempt today at getting offline freeware USGS map apps to
> work on Windows, so this is just the rough draft tutorial that others can
> follow to:

Good news!

The following suggestion has already improved the offline conversion of the
USGS corner Degrees, Minutes, Seconds, to OziExplorer Degrees decimal
Minutes just now.

In <news:p9gi7u$1doh$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Jeff <je...@ukra.com> wrote:
> Put degrees into A1, minutes into B1, Seconds into C1 then in some other
> cell =A1&" "&B1+(C1/60)

Thanks for this information, as I don't know Excel at all, although I worry
about rounding errors causing problems inside the OziExplorer
geocalibration, which is explained here.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.geo.satellite-nav/yONNWAEx23Y/7LpakFp4BwAJ

Rounding errors aside, the suggested Excel formula worked today, bearing in
mind that it's also extensible to handle all 9 corners of a four-tile USGS
map, which is a good thing. http://i67.tinypic.com/2hs66iq.jpg

Thanks to your help, I'll add these steps to the tutorial located at:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sci.geo.satellite-nav

Put the header "degrees" in cell A1 & USGS corner degrees in Excel cell A2.
Put the header "minutes" in cell B1 & USGS cornerminutes in Excel cell B2.
Put the header "seconds" in cell C1 & USGS corner seconds in Excel cell C2.
Put the header "DdM" in cell D1 and then put this formula in cell D2.
=A2&" "&B2+(C2/60)

If folks have rounding-error protection improvements, that would be great
since the whole point is geocalibration of USGS maps inside of a freeware
tool on Windows.

Even so, it still would be nice to see if there already is an existing
offline app for this that works offline on Windows outside of users having
to have a spreadsheet program, but this solves the problem well enough for
most of us.

Bob J Jones

Mar 28, 2018, 7:50:12 PM3/28/18
In <news:1703slnj...@br-ederson.eternal-september.org>, "B. R. 'BeAr'
Ederson" <use.r...@this.is.invalid> wrote:

> QGIS is a free open source desktop GIS program, that rivals the best
> commercial programs of that category:
>
> www.qgis.org
>
> It does (much) more than you need and consists of components, that have
> been continually developed and improved for more than 20 years by now.
> If you want even more, you could check the OSGeo project, which has the
> server components to publish the results of your work worldwide. ;-)
>
> www.osgeo.org
>
> There are other programs around, which should also fit your needs. A
> somewhat dated listing of free GIS software can be found on the website
> of the FOSSGIS project:
>
> freegis.org

I wish I had known this yesterday...

I just saw this post, which seems to have a great starting point because
you're the only poster to this newsgroup who knew about this QGIS tool, so
you're the expert.

Based on what you wrote, I probably wasted my time on OziExplorer, but I
didn't know any better yesterday, so I'll try to see what this QGIS does
for us that's better.

I should note I had OziExplorer working, but this QGIS stuff is cross
platform, which has huge advantages, plus tons of plugins and seemingly
lots of documentation.

Would you recommend a complete noob go for the stable 2.18 version of QGIS
or the newer 3.0 version?

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Mar 29, 2018, 12:02:10 AM3/29/18
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 23:50:11 -0000 (UTC), Bob J Jones wrote:

[QGIS]
> I wish I had known this yesterday...

If you ask for help in a NG, you should look out for the answers. :-(
And you shouldn't expect /real-time/ answers. Since Usenet has worldwide
impact, people may be at work and/or asleep. Moreover, sometimes people
just catch up with certain groups every week or even less frequent.
If you had posted in comp.infosystems.gis (which is one of the most
appropriate groups for you question), for instance, I probably would have
seen your post on Saturday...

> Would you recommend a complete noob go for the stable 2.18 version of QGIS
> or the newer 3.0 version?

Definitely 3.0. The open source community in general rarely releases
unreliable full number versions. QGIS is no exception.

Although the GeoPdf files /are/ georeferenced and could be used directly,
they load too slow to make this fun. (Several raster and vector layers
have to be combined and transparency rules to applied in the process of
displaying it.) So WMS is the way to go. - Like I recommended in my post:

Terje Mathisen

Mar 29, 2018, 6:02:18 AM3/29/18
Bob, I have had a licensed copy of Ozi since way back when, afair you
can easily configure Ozi to use any desired coordinate format!

I.e. you should be able to enter Settings and tell it to use DD MM SS
unless this feature is missing from the free version.

Terje

Bill Bradshaw

Mar 29, 2018, 2:21:26 PM3/29/18
You can also right click on the latitude and longitude display in the upper
left hand corner and select how want these displayed. If you select degrees
and minutes this is what will carry over to your map calibration, entering
waypoints coordinates, etc. I was the 7th poster to OziUsers-L so like you
I have also been using the program for a long time but Bob wants to learn it
in one day.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Arlen Holder

Aug 10, 2018, 5:14:11 AM8/10/18
> Do you know of an offline USGS topo isocline map desktop app for
> creation & viewing of mobile device GPX tracks?

Thanks to B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson, here's a step-by-step pictorial tutorial
on how to use existing free United States Geological Survey map databases
to view topographic maps, view tracks on those maps, & to edit routes -
using only Windows canonical Quantum GIS freeware.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7004647qgis50.jpg>
. Download the text GPX track for Mount Umunhum used in this walkthru
<https://ufile.io/4yk0h> <=== this is automatically deleted in 30 days
. Obtain and install Quantum GIS 3.2.1 freeware for Windows
<https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html>
NOTE: It wants to install into: "C:\Program Files\QGIS 3.2"
Instead, I installed it into: "C:\app\database\map\qgis"
. On Windows, start QGIS from the shortcut titled "QGIS Desktop 3.2.1"
[C:\app\database\map\qgis\bin\qgis-bin.exe]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7153673qgis00.jpg>
. Check the version using QGIS:Help > Check QGIS Version
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9838659qgis01.jpg>
. Load in the USGS map database for Mount Umunhum
QGIS:Layer > Add Layer > Add WMS/WMTS Layer
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5567310qgis02.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6441506qgis03.jpg>
. Data Source Manager | WMS/WMTS: Layers > New
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8375690qgis04.jpg>
. Create a New WMS/WMTS Connection: Connection details >
Name = US Topo
URL = https://basemap.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/services/USGSTopo/MapServer/WmsServer?
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4419440qgis05.jpg>
NOTE: Because "request=GetCapabilities&service=WMS" is the default,
this also works: https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/services
. Press [OK]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5964258qgis06.jpg>
. Press [Connect]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7185012qgis07.jpg>
. Select the lowest entry in the list, which is:
ID = 1, Name = 0, Title = Layers, Abstract = blank
. At the bottom of the form is a "Layer name" field that says "Layers"
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3747539qgis08.jpg>
. Change that "Layer name" field from "Layers" to "Topo"
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5911324qgis09.jpg>
. Click [Add]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8988786qgis10.jpg>
. Close the "Data Source Manager | WMS/WMTS" form so you can see below it.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2708931qgis11.jpg>
. Zoom into the San Francisco Bay Area of California on that world map
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4420818qgis12.jpg>
. In my case I have a GPX trackfile named C:\tmp\umunhum.gpx
. QGIS:Layer > Add Layer > Add Vector Layer > C:\tmp\umunhum.gpx
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7658659qgis13.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2999436qgis14.jpg>
. Click [Add]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6303169qgis15.jpg>
. I chose to hit "Select All" because I wasn't sure which detail matter
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9189292qgis16.jpg>
. Click [OK]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8923746qgis17.jpg>
. Click [Close] and notice that the track shows up on the map
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3437513qgis18.jpg>
. On the QGIS left-side "Layers" pane, rightclick on "umunhum track_points"
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208912qgis19.jpg>
. Select [Zoom to Layer] (which should zoom to the entire track)
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1780048qgis20.jpg>
. Zoom as desired to visualize portions of that track
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4268242qgis21.jpg>
. To edit the track to create a desired route...
. Right-click on "umunhum track_points" > Export > Save Features As
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4251110qgis22.jpg>
. In the "Save Vector Layer as..." form, notice Format = GeoPackage
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4718890qgis23.jpg>
. Click the "Format" pulldown arrow to view & select "ESRI shapefile"
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1670863qgis24.jpg>
. Select a "File Name" of "umunhum_route" & click [OK]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5680734qgis25.jpg>
. To locate those results, simply run the Windows find-string command:
c:\> dir /s/a/l/on/b c:\* | findstr umunhum
c:\tmp\umunhum.gpx
c:\app\database\map\qgis\bin\umunhum_route.cpg
c:\app\database\map\qgis\bin\umunhum_route.dbf
c:\app\database\map\qgis\bin\umunhum_route.prj
c:\app\database\map\qgis\bin\umunhum_route.qpj
c:\app\database\map\qgis\bin\umunhum_route.shp <=== the shapefile
c:\app\database\map\qgis\bin\umunhum_route.shx
. Right-click on "umunhum track_points" > Toggle editing
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1509654qgis26.jpg>
. QGIS:Edit > Select > Select Features
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4812814qgis27.jpg>
. Draw a selection bounding box around the points you wish to delete
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5292862qgis28.jpg>
. QGIS:Edit > Cut Features
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7115319qgis29.jpg>
. Right-click on "umunhum track_points" > Toggle editing
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7697018qgis30.jpg>
. Click [Save] when asked:
Stop Editing: Do you want to save the changes to layer umunhum_route?
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8199406qgis31.jpg>
. Right-click on "umunhum track_points" > Export > Save Features As
ESRI shapefile, umunhum_route_edited, [OK]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8434183qgis32.jpg>
. QGIS:View > Zoom to layer
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2357420qgis33.jpg>
. QGIS:Project > Import/Export > Export Map to PDF
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7951952qgis34.jpg>
. In the "Save Map as PDF" form, click the [Save] button
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2918023qgis35.jpg>
. And give it a name, such as "c:\tmp\umunhum_hike.pdf" which you can
open in any PDF viewer
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9152603qgis36.jpg>
. QGIS:Project > Save > umunhum_project.qgz
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6423196qgis37.jpg>
. QGIS:Project > Exit QGIS
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4477916qgis38.jpg>
. When you re-open QGIS, you'll see "umunhum_project" in "Recent Projects"
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5984185qgis39.jpg>
. Doubleclicking on that "umunhum_project" brings you back where you were
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5473937qgis40.jpg>
. Right-click on "umunhum track_points" > Export > Save Features As
Format = GPS eXchange Format [GPX]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7926860qgis41.jpg>
. Select a "File Name" of "umunhum_edited" & click [OK]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2985650qgis42.jpg>
. In my case, that gave an error message of:
"Export to vector file failed.
Error: Creation of field track_fid failed (OGR error: Field of name
'track_fid' is not supported in GPX schema. Use GPX_USE_EXTENSIONS
creation option to allow use of the <extensions> element.)"
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9028313qgis43.jpg>
. Right-click on "umunhum track_points" > Export > Save Features As
Format = GPS eXchange Format [GPX]
In the "Save Vector Layer as..." form, notice the "Datasource Options"
pulldown section, which has "GPX_USE_EXTENSTIONS" set to "NO"
Set "GPX_USE_EXTENSTIONS" set to "YES" & click [OK]
. Select a "File Name" of "umunhum_edited" & click [OK]
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3859822qgis44.jpg>
. If the file exists, it will ask to overwrite (click [Yes])
. Then it will pop up a "Select Vector Layers to Add.." selection form
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2104715qgis45.jpg>
. Click [Select All] and then [OK] to create the file "umunhum_edited.gpx"
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4263537qgis46.jpg>
. QGIS:Project > Exit QGIS
As always, this is provided to both improve our tribal knowledge, and to
ask that others improve this information for the benefit of everyone.
Thanks to B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson!

Arlen Holder

Aug 10, 2018, 5:19:47 AM8/10/18
On 10 Aug 2018 09:14:09 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> Thanks to B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson, here's a step-by-step pictorial tutorial
> on how to use existing free United States Geological Survey map databases
> to view topographic maps, view tracks on those maps, & to edit routes -
> using only Windows canonical Quantum GIS freeware.
> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7004647qgis50.jpg>

Here is one way to obtain a GPX track on Android using only freeware
. Download the text GPX track for Mount Umunhum used in this walkthru
<https://ufile.io/4yk0h> <=== this is automatically deleted in 30 days
. That track was created using the "OSM Tracker" app on Android
OSMTracker for AndroidT-me.guillaumin.android.osmtracker-37-v0.6.11.apk
. You can obtain that OSM Tracker from Google Play, but I don't have a
Google Play account (you don't ever need to use Google Play):
<https://f-droid.org/packages/me.guillaumin.android.osmtracker/>
. I obtained my OSM Tracker from F-Droid
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmtracker>
. But first, on Android 7, you have to enable unknown sources
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/5VKHlHQ8Myg/wyckp5ffCAAJ>
. Using OSM Tracker, I recorded a track while hiking up Mount Umunhum
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8254289android01.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6484402android02.jpg>
. In OSM Tracker, "Export all as GPX" saves the track.
. On Android 7.0, I made the "Developer options" menu visible
Settings > General > About phone > Software info > Build number
Tap three times on "Build number" & it will then pop up the message...
"You are now 4 steps away from being a developer"
Tap 4 more times and it will say...
"You are now a developer."
This makes visible options such as the "Select USB Configuration"
which allows you to just plug your device into a Windows PC to slide
files back and forth across the visible file system.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3450754android03.jpg>
Copy the track from Android to Windows
. Enable Windows to access the entire visible Android file system.
Enable "Developer options" first as shown in #2 above, & then go to...
Settings > General > Developer options > (OK the warning) >
NETWORKING > Select USB Configuration
Change the options from:
Charging only (o) <== the default
MTP (Mediat Transfer Protocol) (_)
PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) (_)
RNDIS (USB Ethernet) (_)
Audio Source (_)
MIDI (_)
Change the options to:
Charging only (_) <== the default
MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) (o)
PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) (_)
RNDIS (USB Ethernet) (_)
Audio Source (_)
MIDI (_)
. Then slide the desired GPX file over to Windows from the location
/sdcard0/osmtracker/<date>/filename.gpx
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/5VKHlHQ8Myg>
. On Windows, copy/rename that GPX file to
C:\tmp\umunhum.gpx
If desired, you can save a track on a USGS geoCalibrated PDF using the
USGS-recommended Avenza freeware on iOS and Android:
<https://www.usgs.gov/media/videos/using-us-topo-and-historic-topo-maps-your-mobile-device>

Arlen Holder

Aug 10, 2018, 5:40:25 AM8/10/18
On 10 Aug 2018 09:19:46 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> If desired, you can save a track on a USGS geoCalibrated PDF using the
> USGS-recommended Avenza freeware on iOS and Android:
> <https://www.usgs.gov/media/videos/using-us-topo-and-historic-topo-maps-your-mobile-device>

Tutorial for saving & viewing tracks in real time on mobile devices using
free official geocalibrated United States Geological Survey (USGS) maps
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_android_maps_01.jpg>
The tutorial below is wholly based on this USGS video training:
? <https://www.usgs.gov/media/videos/using-us-topo-and-historic-topo-maps-your-mobile-device>
The tutorial covers downloading & installing:
a. GeoCalibrated current & historical USGS maps (available free)
b. Avenza map app (iOS & Android, free, registration is optional)
And this video covers how to record a track in real time on that map

If you know of *better* cross-platform freeware that makes use of any
downloaded set of USGS geocalibrated PDFs, please advise so that we
benefit from your knowledge.

The advantages of Avenza freeware over most commercial solutions are:
a. Avenza is a cross-platform iOS/Android USGS topo map solution
b. You can track on USGS quadrangles from today back to the 1800s
c. You can upload custom geocalibrated USGS map areas into Avenza
NOTE: USGS topo maps are *far* more accurate than OSM topo maps!

The disadvantage is that the "Avenza" map freeware isn't all that
great as an application (IMHO), where I prefer, for example,
the map app functionality inherent in something like the
US Topo Maps freeware:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atlogis.northamerica.free>
Or Locus Map freeware with the USGS topographic maps loaded:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus>
But those two otherwise very nice cross-platform USGS map based
tracking & routing apps don't read custom geocalibrated PDFs (AFAIK).

Personally, I prefer the Back Country Navigator USGS-map-based freeware
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crittermap.backcountrynavigator>
Or MyTrails USGS-map-based freeware:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frogsparks.mytrails>
But those tracking-only (i.e., no routing) USGS-map-based apps
also don't read custom geocalibrated PDFs (AFAIK).

The main advantages of the simpler Avenza map software are:
a. It's cross platform free on both iOS and Android, and, more importantly,
b. It imports any custom geocalibrated topographic map.
In addition to the fact that you can view your tracks for free
in real time in the software on your mobile device.

With respect to the cross-platform capabilities, the USGS says the
Avenza software works the same on both iOS and Android.
I followed the USGS video which was only showing the Android app
(so iOS users may need to test this out further for the team).
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_android_maps_01.jpg>
Here are the steps...
1. Install Avenza Maps freeware <https://www.avenzamaps.com/>
Android <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Avenza>
iOS <https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/avenza-pdf-maps/id388424049?mt=8>
2. Download the 3-most-important-to-you USGS geocalibrated PDF quadrangles:
Go to http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/apps/mobile_client
Maps > (select Baselayer = USGS Topo)
Maps > (zoom to, very roughly, your current location)
Press "Go to Datasets"
Press "US Topo"
Press "Find Products"
Press "Add to Cart" for each map quadrangle you want to download
Press "Go to Cart"
Long press on each selected geoPDF to download via the web
Note: Each of my maps was about 25MB in size
Note: Avenza freeware is limited to 3 PDF maps, where it is described
elsewhere how to combine quadrangles to work around that
artificial limitation.
3. Import those downloaded geocalibrated PDFs into your map app:
Use your file manager to go to your "Downloads" folder
On Android, that's /storage/emulated/0/Download/*.pdf
Run Avenza & select the (+) icon
Select "Add Folder" & give it a name (e.g., SanJose)
Select that folder to step into it
Press the (+0 icon again & select "Download or import a map"
Select "From Device Storage" & choose each of your geoPDFs
Now all your maps are "loaded" into the Avenza freeware
Note: Only the first 3 maps will be GPS aware for location & tracking
A. As a quick test of Avenza, let's start tracking on the USGS map:
In Avenza, select a map that contains your current location.
Press the location icon; it should bluedot your location on the map.
Press the wrench icon & then the "Record GPS Tracks" menu item.
That should start tracking your movement on the map.
Press "Done" when you want to stop tracking.
B. As another quick test of Avenza, measure heading & distance:
In Avenza, select a map of interest to you.
Press the wrench icon & then the "Draw and Measure" item
Place the crosshair on the 1st point by moving the map underneath
Tap once, on that crosshair, to "anchor" it to that 1st point
Then move the underlying map so the crosshair is at the 2nd point
Tap once, on that crosshair, to "anchor" it to that 2nd point
A total distance, bearing, & elevation change will be displayed
Continue on the next segment, if desired.
*IMPROVEMENTS REQUESTED:*
Since the USGS-suggested cross-platform Avenza freeware is, admittedly,
Spartan in functionality, it would be nice if you know of other
cross-platform iOS and Android free apps which can utilize the USGS
historical & current geoPDFs for location, routing & tracking.
Best if the map app you suggest has at least these half dozen features
(which I posit only the best USGS-based topographic maps provide):
1. Offline (i.e, maps can be downloaded or tiles can be cached)
2. USGS (OSM topo maps suck on accuracy compared to USGS topo maps)
3. Locate (it should bluedot your current location)
4. Track (it should save a gpx track of your current hike)
5. Route (it should route along a previously saved track)
6. Free (it should be free, and displaying no ads is always best)
Here is an example of my free USGS & OSM topo maps on Android:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_android_maps_01.jpg>
Also, if you know of free tools on Windows or Linux which "stitch"
the separate USGS quadrangles together for a larger geocalibrated map tile
that can be used inside of Avenza, please let us know so that we all
benefit from your knowledge.
Currently I use the Windows freeware OziExplorer (QGIS is also said to
be able to stitch maps together for subsequent geocalibration, and maybe
OpenOrienteeering-Mapper also) as the need is to stitch multiple
geocalibrated quadrangles seamlessly together sans borders - so I'm always
looking for a better geostitching solutions on Windows or Linux:

OziExplorer for Windows
<http://www.oziexplorer.com/>
OpenOrienteering-Mapper
<https://github.com/OpenOrienteering/mapper/releases/tag/v0.8.1>
QGIS
<https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/index.html>
In summary, above is a tutorial based on that from the USGS explaining
how to use the cross-platform Avenza iOS/Android freeware to load
customized USGS geocalibrated tiles for location and tracking on
geocalibrated USGS maps (or custom geocalibrated maps).
As always please improve so that all always benefit from your every action.

Arlen Holder

Aug 10, 2018, 2:00:51 PM8/10/18
On 10 Aug 2018 09:14:09 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> Thanks to B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson, here's a step-by-step pictorial tutorial
> on how to use existing free United States Geological Survey map databases
> to view topographic maps, view tracks on those maps, & to edit routes -
> using only Windows canonical Quantum GIS freeware

Is this the appropriate forum for asking the following questions?
https://www.geospatialonline.com/

1. How do we combine USGS geospatial PDF quadrangles using QGIS?
2. How do we view tracks on USGS geospatial PDF maps using GGIS?

Arlen Holder

Aug 10, 2018, 7:06:13 PM8/10/18
On 10 Aug 2018 18:00:49 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> 1. How do we combine USGS geospatial PDF quadrangles using QGIS?
> 2. How do we view tracks on USGS geospatial PDF maps using GGIS?

In order to test the two questions above, I downloaded a few maps.
Since I had to figure out the process again, I documented it for you.
Here's how anyone on this newsgroup can obtain their nearest quadrangles.
Download USGS PDF maps of the desired quadrangles.
1. Create a directory to store your downloaded USGS topographic maps:
For example: mkdir C:\app\database\map\usgs\
2. Visit the USGS National Map Data Download & Visualization Services site:
https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/launch/
3. At top left, press "Download Maps" which takes you to a multipane page:
https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/?basemap=b1&category=histtopo,ustopo&title=Map%20View
Note the right pane contains a map of the United States.
4. Left mouse drag your desired location to the center of that map.
Click the + (zoom) 7 times (re-center as needed) to see quadrangles.
It's simplest if you zoom until you have only 1 or 2 quadrangles in view.
At most, zoom to only as many as 4 contiguous four-corner quadrangles.
5. In the left sidebar, click the blue "Find Products" button.
6. In the left sidebar under "Available Products", click "US Topo" "results".
7. In the left sidebar, scroll until you see the desired quadrangle.
Once you find the desired quadrangle, right click its "Download" button.
Choose to "Save Link As" so as to download the ~30MB PDF file.
8. Save the ~30MB PDFs using the default name of the quadrangle.pdf
For example:
C:\app\database\map\usgs\CA_Laurel_20150226_TM_geo.pdf
C:\app\database\map\usgs\CA_Loma_Prieta_20150226_TM_geo.pdf
C:\app\database\map\usgs\CA_San_Jose_West_20150304_TM_geo.pdf
C:\app\database\map\usgs\CA_Santa_Teresa_Hills_20150226_TM_geo.pdf
etc.

Read this document for instructions on how to interpret USGS map margins:
<http://education.usgs.gov/lessons/mapmargin.pdf> (details)
<http://education.usgs.gov/lessons/map_margins_2p.pdf> (summary)
I called a local Kinkos/FedEx printer who charges $7.25 per sqft for color
printing on regular paper. So a 2.5x2.5 foot color map on regular paper
they said would be about $73.48 with California tax. Yikes.

It's much cheaper to print to 8-1/2x11-inch paper using a freeware tiler:
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/posterazor/>
And then manually tape it together.