Free open-source on-the-fly disk encryption software for Windows XP/2000/98 released

TrueCrypt Team

Feb 2, 2004, 2:33:18 PM2/2/04

TrueCrypt 1.0 Released

February 2, 2004

We are proud to announce that TrueCrypt 1.0 has been released today.
To our best knowledge, it is currently the only free open-source
on-the-fly encryption software capable of encrypting partitions
larger than 2 GB under Windows XP/2000. On Windows XP/2000, it is
also the only open-source on-the-fly encryption system that offers
plausible deniability. It can either encrypt entire partitions or
devices, or it can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file.
Data are automatically encrypted before they are saved, and decrypted
after they are loaded (i.e. never stored unencrypted). TrueCrypt is
based on (and might be considered a sequel to) a discontinued product
called Encryption for the Masses (E4M) by Paul Le Roux. The
differences between E4M and TrueCrypt include plausible deniability,
Windows XP support, significant increase in the volume size limit,
improved sector scrambling algorithm and many more.
For more information, please visit www.truecrypt.org

ved...@hush.com

Feb 2, 2004, 6:11:57 PM2/2/04
TrueCrypt Team <tmp0...@truecrypt.org> wrote in message news:<5c4c57c8b954c9b2...@news.teranews.com>...

> TrueCrypt 1.0 Released
>
> February 2, 2004
>
> We are proud to announce that TrueCrypt 1.0 has been released today.
> To our best knowledge, it is currently the only free open-source
> on-the-fly encryption software capable of encrypting partitions
> larger than 2 GB under Windows XP/2000

is it feasible/possible to develop something like this that is cross-platform?

so, for example, a 600meg container burned to a cd
(or even larger ones burned to a dvd-rw)

could be transferred and mounted on linux/unix/mac/and windows?

tia,

vedaal

stefan scherrer

Feb 2, 2004, 6:33:45 PM2/2/04
ved...@hush.com wrote:
> is it feasible/possible to develop something like this that is
cross-platform?

yes I'm looking for some beta testers... Currently I only support the
SuSE TwoFish implementation.

Features:

TwoFish (Suse) linux loop device compatible.

ContainerFiles. Fat / ntfs (Should work with containers on network shares.)

CD Format is supported. (This was my main goal so I can read CD's
encryped under linux with windows). You can mount unencrypted iso
images as well (as IE DaemonTools replacement ).

if someone has an idea how to name this project or wants to testdrive it
please let me know..

mfg,
Stefan

PS: maybe I should join forces with the TrueCrypt team, But my goal is
to stay linux compatible. So i can go with ever OS I want without having
to worry.

PPS: It will have a GNU license.

Next Targets:
*) finding a name ...
*) finding some beta testers (please write a email simply remove .news
*) making a small website for faq and so on..
*) making a tool for creating encrypted iso images. ready to burn
*) maybe a gui.
*) implement loop-aes

Paul Rubin

Feb 2, 2004, 8:57:08 PM2/2/04
stefan scherrer <stefa...@scherrer.cc> writes:
> yes I'm looking for some beta testers... Currently I only support the
> SuSE TwoFish implementation.

Why not AES?

stefan scherrer

Feb 3, 2004, 4:29:20 AM2/3/04

I allready wrote that AES is a main target.

See my post:

*) finding a name ...
*) finding some beta testers (please write a email simply remove .news
*) making a small website for faq and so on..
*) making a tool for creating encrypted iso images. ready to burn
*) maybe a gui.

*) support aes

---
For my personal ranking I will do a gui first (to create encrypted iso
images and to mount umount or for standalone encryption decryption of
container files / partions)

If there a people who are insterted in this project and want to spend
some time they are wellcome to help I will not do points 1 to 3 if there
is no intrest in a CrossPlatform free GPL Crypto tool..

stefan scherrer

Feb 3, 2004, 4:42:21 AM2/3/04

Becuse my SuSe supported only TwoFish and I created some encrypted CDs I
wanted to read under Windows. As there was no CrossPlatform tool a had
to make one :)

I think making it AES compatible cannot be a big problem.

mfg,
Stefan

BTW: Is there a known attack with the Suse TwoFish password is Hashed
with RMD160 and there is a static IV this gets resetted every 512 Bytes.
I see this is not a very good idea of suse.

David T.

Feb 3, 2004, 8:57:15 AM2/3/04
ved...@hush.com (ved...@hush.com) wrote in

> is it feasible/possible to develop something like this that is
> cross-platform?
>
> so, for example, a 600meg container burned to a cd
> (or even larger ones burned to a dvd-rw)
>
> could be transferred and mounted on linux/unix/mac/and windows?

Yes, this is, of course, possible to develop. Actually, a Linux version
of TrueCrypt is one of the things that we have been considering.
Moreover, anyone willing to port TrueCrypt to Linux can do so. The
TrueCrypt volume format specification and TrueCrypt source code are
freely available at: http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.html

--
David T., Member of TrueCrypt Team
d...@truecrypt.org

To email me, use the above address with the underscore removed.

www.truecrypt.org

Tim Smith

Feb 5, 2004, 2:00:21 AM2/5/04
In article <5c4c57c8b954c9b2...@news.teranews.com>, TrueCrypt

Team wrote:
> For more information, please visit www.truecrypt.org

You need to go kick your hosting provider in the rear. The name servers
for truecrypt.org (ns.microworld.com and ns2.microworld.com) are not
responding. That makes it real hard to get to your web site! :-)

--
--Tim Smith

Mack

Feb 5, 2004, 5:32:22 AM2/5/04

Appearently I am not the only one to have this problem.

Leslie 'Mack' McBride
remove text between _ marks to respond via e-mail

Thinker

Feb 6, 2004, 6:19:39 AM2/6/04
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message news:<9SlUb.11245$GO6....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

The files are mirrored at: www.truecrypt.tk

It hosts all the files - source code, binaries, documentation,
signatures, and their PGP key.