Perhaps our own solar system is an outlier due to Jupiter?

Yousuf Khan

Mar 25, 2015, 8:46:40 AM3/25/15
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bridaineparnell/2015/03/24/jupiter-smashed-the-super-earth-version-of-our-solar-system/

"Our Solar System may have once been made up of a number of super-Earths
– until Jupiter came barrelling through the planetary system like a
wrecking ball.

A new study by Caltech planetary scientist Konstantin Batygin and UC
Santa Cruz professor of astronomy and astrophysics Gregory Laughlin
suggests that the inner system used to contain a number of planets
bigger than Earth but smaller than Neptune."