Re: NASA scientist: California will run out of water in a year

Robert Clark

Mar 29, 2015, 12:14:17 PM3/29/15

The *original* charter for NASA from 1958 did not include provisions for
Earth studies:

National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958 (Unamended).
[Editorial Headnote: "National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958," Public
Law #85-568, 72 Stat., 426. Signed by the President on July 29, 1958, Record
Group 255, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C;
available in NASA Historical Reference Collection, History Office, NASA
Headquarters, Washington, D.C. Page references to original document in
brackets.]
http://history.nasa.gov/spaceact.html

However the new charter supported by Obama and passed by Congress does
include Earth studies:

CHAPTER 201—NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE PROGRAM
SUBCHAPTER I--SHORT TITLE, DECLARATION OF POLICY, AND DEFINITIONS
http://www.nasa.gov/offices/ogc/about/space_act1.html#POLICY

The question is should NASA focus on what the original charter was devoted
to. Note, even planetary science supporters should be concerned about this
because the "Earth studies" portion of the funding for NASA now reaches 41%,
cutting greatly into both unmanned space missions and manned missions.

Bob Clark

Single-stage-to-orbit was already shown possible 50 years ago
with the Titan II first stage.
In fact, contrary to popular belief SSTO's are actually easy.
Just use the most efficient engines and stages at the same time,
and the result will automatically be SSTO.
Blog: Http://Exoscientist.blogspot.com
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

In article <f5ednUsh_N6kbpTI...@earthlink.com>,
moo...@deletethisgreenms.com says...

> "jacob navia" wrote in message news:mebohs$n0$1...@speranza.aioe.org...
> >
> >See:
> >http://www.newsweek.com/nasa-california-has-one-year-water-left-313647
> >
> >Consequence:
> >
> >Ted Cruz Tells NASA to Stop Worrying About Climate Change and Focus on
> >Space
> >
> >http://www.nationaljournal.com/2016-elections/ted-cruz-tells-nasa-to-stop-worrying-about-climate-change-and-focus-on-space-20150312
> >
> >If temperature is too high... BREAK THE THERMOMETER!
> >
> >:-)
>

> Actually I'm fine with this. As long as someone like NOAA or another
> agency
> takes over.
>
> I think monitoring the environment remotely is hugely important and NASA
> has
> a role there in supporting such operations, but it's not really their end
> goal.
>
> They should be focusing on space.

Except for the pesky little fact that it's written into NASA's charter!

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/ogc/about/space_act1.html#FUNCTIONS

From above:
(1) The expansion of human knowledge of the Earth and of phenomena
in the atmosphere and space.

In other words, they're doing what they're supposed to be doing. Talk
of taking this responsibility away from NASA is really talk about
changing its charter. And for more historical context, that bit about
Earth was added during the Reagan Administration.

Bottom line for me is that earth science was just fine for the
Republicans, until they started to dislike the data because it conflicts
with their world view. Rather than working on changing their world
view, instead they seem to be opposing collecting more data.

Jeff

Jeff Findley

Mar 29, 2015, 8:55:54 PM3/29/15
In article <mf98b3$cfp$1...@dont-email.me>,
rgrego...@gmSPAMBLOACKail.com says...

> The *original* charter for NASA from 1958 did not include provisions for
> Earth studies:
>
> National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958 (Unamended).
> [Editorial Headnote: "National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958," Public
> Law #85-568, 72 Stat., 426. Signed by the President on July 29, 1958, Record
> Group 255, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C;
> available in NASA Historical Reference Collection, History Office, NASA
> Headquarters, Washington, D.C. Page references to original document in
> brackets.]
> http://history.nasa.gov/spaceact.html
>
> However the new charter supported by Obama and passed by Congress does
> include Earth studies:
>
> CHAPTER 201?NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE PROGRAM
> SUBCHAPTER I--SHORT TITLE, DECLARATION OF POLICY, AND DEFINITIONS
> http://www.nasa.gov/offices/ogc/about/space_act1.html#POLICY
>
> The question is should NASA focus on what the original charter was devoted
> to. Note, even planetary science supporters should be concerned about this
> because the "Earth studies" portion of the funding for NASA now reaches 41%,
> cutting greatly into both unmanned space missions and manned missions.

http://history.nasa.gov/spaceact-legishistory.pdf

From the above document:

(d) The aeronautical and space activities of the United States shall
be conducted so as to contribute materially to one or more of the
following objectives:
(1) The expansion of human knowledge of the Earth and'2' of
phenomena in the atmosphere and space

'2' The clause, ?of the Earth and? was added by the National
Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act, 1985,
Pub. L. No. 98-361, § I 10(b), 98 Stat. 422, 426 (Jul. 16, 1984).

So, the fact is that the "Earth" part came from "National Aeronautics
and Space Administration Authorization Act, 1985," Public Law 98-361,
July 16, 1984, section 110(b) (98 Stat. 426). Note that this became law
when *Ronald Reagan* was president and there was a *Republican-
controlled Senate* (either of whom could have stopped the "Earth" bit
from being inserted prominently into NASA's charter).