ScalaTest 1.4.1 for Scala 2.9.0 Released

Bill Venners

May 12, 2011, 10:42:36 AM5/12/11
to scala-a...@googlegroups.com, scala-user, scalate...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I've released a new version of ScalaTest for Scala 2.9.0. ScalaTest
1.4.1 is intended to provide a smooth upgrade from ScalaTest 1.3,
which runs under Scala 2.8, and is essentially 1.3 features recompiled
for Scala 2.9.0.

You can download a zip file here:

http://www.scalatest.org/download

Or grab it from scala-tools.org via:

group id: org.scalatest
artifact id: scalatest_2.9.0
version: 1.4.1

Release notes are here:

http://www.scalatest.org/release_notes

You can read it for the details. Please post on scala-users if you
encounter any problems.

Note that this release does not have all the new features I've been
previewing lately. That will come in ScalaTest 1.5/1.6, for which I
will be publishing an RC very soon.

Thanks.

Bill
----
Bill Venners
Artima, Inc.
http://www.artima.com

--
Bill Venners
Artima, Inc.

ijuma

May 12, 2011, 11:39:13 AM5/12/11
to scalate...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com, scala-user
On Thursday, 12 May 2011 15:42:36 UTC+1, Bill Venners wrote:

Note that this release does not have all the new features I've been
previewing lately. That will come in ScalaTest 1.5/1.6, for which I
will be publishing an RC very soon.

By the way, ScalaCheck 1.9 was released today with some changes to make better use of Scala 2.9.0. It may be a good idea to check if any changes are needed in ScalaTest to support this version properly.

Best,
Ismael

Bill Venners

May 12, 2011, 11:46:00 AM5/12/11
to scalate...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com, scala-user
Hi Ismael,

Will do. If a change is needed I can release a 1.4.2 for that.

Bill

> --
> ScalaTest itself, and documentation, is available here:
> http://www.artima.com/scalatest

Brian Maso

May 12, 2011, 5:42:31 PM5/12/11
to scalate...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, Bill, on keeping up so well with 2.9.0!  Speaks very well to ScalaTest's advancement and maintenance in the future.

--
Best regards,
Brian Maso

Bill Venners

May 12, 2011, 6:07:36 PM5/12/11
to scalate...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Brian Maso <br...@blumenfeld-maso.com> wrote:
> Congratulations, Bill, on keeping up so well with 2.9.0!  Speaks very well
> to ScalaTest's advancement and maintenance in the future.

I found out during the 2.8 days that ScalaTest updates were needed by
many open source projects before they could get updates to their
releases out. So I wanted to try and get the ScalaTest updates out
quickly after a new Scala release comes out.

I also this year I finally have more time to devote to ScalaTest. For
almost two years after the ScalaTest 1.0 release I had very little
time to focus on larger features that require larger swaths of time
and concentration. The 1.5/1.6 releases with the stuff I previewed
recently on my blog will be out very soon (1.5 will be for Scala
2.8.1; 1.6 for Scala 2.9.0, with same features). I hope to get an RC
out for both this week, now that 2.9.0 is out. Features coming later
include more reporters, matcher enhancements, and some new style
traits, plus better support for sbt and Maven Surefire, JMock, and
possibly Android. I don't know enough about Android yet to know what
we can do there, but I think that's an important area to support.

Regarding future directions, I try to avoid putting in things in that
I *imagine* will be useful. I prefer to base new features on user
feedback. One problem I have is that I think many ScalaTest users,
maybe because they aren't paying for it, tend to not ask for things
they want. So if any of you have requests, please let me know. You can
email me privately if you prefer to not have it public, or just post
to this list if you don't mind. If you have a complaint, please let me
know that too. The more feedback I get, the better ScalaTest will get.

Thanks.

Bill

sami.d...@gmail.com

May 12, 2011, 6:31:50 PM5/12/11
to scalate...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Since you're asking for feedback, the main things I am craving for are :

- Spring Test support (Spring provides nice JUnit listeners that allow smart caching of context, Depency Injection, Transaction demarcation+rollback on each test ...), but sadly, this is not available from ScalaTest, and things have to be done manually : http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.1.0.M1/spring-framework-reference/html/testing.html
- Some Mocking support (might be a different library than ScalaTest) that's scala-ish and FP-enabled (e.g. should provide assertions that a given callback has been called, etc)
- Data-driven tests (that you recently added and called 'PropSpec' : that's great ! I still haven't tried it though, but it looks like what I was looking for)
- Integration : native, better integration inside IDEs, Maven, SBT, Hudson/Jenkins...
- Also, something that I have never seen in any framework, but that I would consider great, is to have the ability to run the same tests for different environments.
For instance, let's say I have some JDBC code that I want to run against MySQL, PostgreSQL, HSQLDB, ... If the testing framework could ease that, I would appreciate it. (basically, I want all my tests to run on all environments).
( I have concrete code examples so we can further discuss this feature  if you're interested in hearing more about the use case ).

From a general perspective, I really like ScalaTest, and I think your approach of being conservative on features is a good thing.

 regards,
Sami

Bill Venners

May 12, 2011, 6:54:32 PM5/12/11
to scalate...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sami,

Thanks for the ideas. One thing you may want to check out is Borachio:

http://www.paulbutcher.com/2011/02/announcing-borachio-native-scala-mocking/

It isn't as full featured as libraries like JMock, Mockito, EasyMock,
etc., but it is a native Scala mocking tool. Allows you to mock
functions for example.

I forgot to mention IDE support in my earlier email. I am going to be
working more on that as well. Got some very good input for the
IntelliJ folks recently, and I want to talk to the NetBeans and
Eclipse folks as well to try and put in something that they can all
make use of.

Bill

ijuma

May 12, 2011, 7:54:02 PM5/12/11
to scalate...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

On Thursday, 12 May 2011 23:07:36 UTC+1, Bill Venners wrote:

So if any of you have requests, please let me know.

For me the most important thing at the moment is to improve tool support: IDEs (Eclipse and IDEA would be great), SBT and Hudson/Jenkins. For the former, it would be great to be able to launch individual examples (retronym added support for this in IDEA for specs[1]), to have clickable test results, the ability to create a test for a source file via an action/shortcut (retronym added this to IDEA for specs and ScalaTest[2]) and so on.

Best,
Ismael