we're now using Scala's Presentation Compiler

James Strachan

Nov 11, 2011, 8:07:29 AM11/11/11
to sca...@googlegroups.com
I stumbled on this excellent article the other day...
http://ensime.blogspot.com/2010/08/building-ide-with-scala-presentation.html

so figured it'd be a good idea if Scalate switched to it; should make
subsequent compiles of templates much faster. Did a quick performance
test (running PerformanceTest) and the trivial 1 liner did make
Scalate 3-10X faster at compiling templates. Yay!

Here's the issue...
http://www.assembla.com/spaces/scalate/support/tickets/273

There could well be further optimisations if we tweak/use the
presentation compiler a little better.

Ideally long term it'd be great to get Scalate wired into the Scala
Presentation Compiler itself as another language like Scala/Java; so
regular SBT / Eclipse / IDEA builds can also build Scalate templates
in the same build phase & re-use the clever delta processing that
SBT/Eclipse do.

We should cut a new scalate release soon!

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration and Messaging

Matt Raible

Nov 11, 2011, 9:10:09 AM11/11/11
to sca...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

On Nov 11, 2011, at 6:07 AM, James Strachan wrote:

> I stumbled on this excellent article the other day...
> http://ensime.blogspot.com/2010/08/building-ide-with-scala-presentation.html
>
> so figured it'd be a good idea if Scalate switched to it; should make
> subsequent compiles of templates much faster. Did a quick performance
> test (running PerformanceTest) and the trivial 1 liner did make
> Scalate 3-10X faster at compiling templates. Yay!
>
> Here's the issue...
> http://www.assembla.com/spaces/scalate/support/tickets/273
>
> There could well be further optimisations if we tweak/use the
> presentation compiler a little better.
>
> Ideally long term it'd be great to get Scalate wired into the Scala
> Presentation Compiler itself as another language like Scala/Java; so
> regular SBT / Eclipse / IDEA builds can also build Scalate templates
> in the same build phase & re-use the clever delta processing that
> SBT/Eclipse do.
>
> We should cut a new scalate release soon!

Yes, please do! I'd love to see the inline CoffeeScript comments fixed:

http://groups.google.com/group/scalate/msg/519b8ce04336b57e

James Strachan

Nov 11, 2011, 9:18:00 AM11/11/11
to sca...@googlegroups.com
On 11 November 2011 14:10, Matt Raible <mra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice!
>
> On Nov 11, 2011, at 6:07 AM, James Strachan wrote:
>
>> I stumbled on this excellent article the other day...
>> http://ensime.blogspot.com/2010/08/building-ide-with-scala-presentation.html
>>
>> so figured it'd be a good idea if Scalate switched to it; should make
>> subsequent compiles of templates much faster. Did a quick performance
>> test (running PerformanceTest) and the trivial 1 liner did make
>> Scalate 3-10X faster at compiling templates. Yay!
>>
>> Here's the issue...
>> http://www.assembla.com/spaces/scalate/support/tickets/273
>>
>> There could well be further optimisations if we tweak/use the
>> presentation compiler a little better.
>>
>> Ideally long term it'd be great to get Scalate wired into the Scala
>> Presentation Compiler itself as another language like Scala/Java; so
>> regular SBT / Eclipse / IDEA builds can also build Scalate templates
>> in the same build phase & re-use the clever delta processing that
>> SBT/Eclipse do.
>>
>> We should cut a new scalate release soon!
>
> Yes, please do! I'd love to see the inline CoffeeScript comments fixed:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/scalate/msg/519b8ce04336b57e

Yeah! Thats been fixed in master a while too; another reason to cut a release...