CFP for next meeting

Jed Wesley-Smith

Jan 10, 2012, 4:31:56 AM1/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Calling for talks for the next meeting, tentatively early Feb.

While we can tap the usual subjects on the shoulder it is a short term strategy. If you have anything that interests you and you can fill up to 30 mins of time talking about it, we'd probably like to hear it!

cheers,
jed.

Karl Roberts

Jan 10, 2012, 5:06:19 AM1/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com

hi jed. Got a monoid for doing distributed average calculation maybe upgrading to a state monad. Or got a small combinator parser example. If you want a talk on one or other let me know I'll write it up. Cheers karl

Jed Wesley-Smith

Jan 10, 2012, 7:08:14 AM1/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
dunno about everyone else but I reckon the distributed average
algorithm sounds very Real World™ to me! Parsers and combinators
(particularly scala ones) are somewhat common…

Karl Roberts

Jan 10, 2012, 4:35:14 PM1/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com

OK. I'll get onto the distributed average thing and write it up into a talk.
Cheers
Karl

etorreborre

Jan 10, 2012, 5:28:49 PM1/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
I also have a parser combinators example to parse GC logs. It's a real world example   and maybe this is still worth presenting it to Scala newcomers because I'm seeing to much ad-hoc parsing on the field :-).

During the next meeting we can ask if anyone is interested by that and if enough people are, I can present in March (and I'd rather present in March since I still haven't finished preparing my Feb fp-syd talk :-)).

Eric.

Jed Wesley-Smith

Jan 10, 2012, 6:46:25 PM1/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Cool, sounds good – although I might suggest an IO talk?

etorreborre

Jan 10, 2012, 7:18:29 PM1/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
I would only be able to present something along the lines of what I wrote on my blog.

The + are:

 - that's IO on a real (but small) app
 - it involves file reading and a DB

The - are:

 - it's not trivial (I wish it was) so newbies might be lost. For example I'd introduce State transformers and trampolines
 - it's only one part of the story, the other part being using Iteratees (which is more or less a dual approach)
 - it's a peculiar approach where IO is used only in the "middle" part of the application and the DB interface for example is not tagged at all with IO. You could argue that it should be.

The first "-" is maybe the most important, because I think we need a good balance in the difficulty of presentations for the audience I think. Maybe we need to make a survey to check what are the expectations of the crowd?

Also, I'm not sure I'd be ready to present on the 8th given that I'm on vacations during the last week of January.

Eric.

Jed Wesley-Smith

Jan 10, 2012, 8:54:09 PM1/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking of for March.

etorreborre

Jan 10, 2012, 9:51:14 PM1/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Ok, deal.

Jed Wesley-Smith

Jan 11, 2012, 9:43:32 PM1/11/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
mate,

can you get me a title and brief tag line for this talk so I can put
it up on the meetup page?

cheers,
jed.

etorreborre

Jan 11, 2012, 9:54:11 PM1/11/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Let's call that:

 "Hands-on with the IO monad"
 "Lessons learned from the use of the IO monad in a small Swing/MongoDB application".

Eric.

Jed Wesley-Smith

Jan 12, 2012, 12:49:55 AM1/12/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
ha, stupid groups, I thought I was sending to Karl, not the list!

Eric, I'll get your brief next meeting.

Karl, got a tag line/title for me?

cheers,
jed.

Jed Wesley-Smith

Jan 23, 2012, 3:43:51 PM1/23/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
All, still hoping for some other talk proposals.

Otherwise, I'll have to dig something up either about Finagle or
possibly a more general talk about something academic ;-)

cheers,
jed.

Arnold deVos

Jan 31, 2012, 9:19:03 PM1/31/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Crosspost from the meetup forum:

Jed, I don't know if you remember me but I was at the meeting before last. I am the one using scala in the electric power industry.

I can do a little session at the REPL which could be called "Dumb pattern matching tricks". The bigger concept is that scala pattern matching is easily expanded to a complete little language.

This is based on an old blog post of mine:http://notes.langdale.com.au/Querying_a_Dataset_with_Scal... and there is nothing very complicated.

Update:

Agreed to do this.  I'll bring my laptop.

etorreborre

Jan 31, 2012, 10:07:09 PM1/31/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arnold,

I remember having read your post last year, this is a great idea for a talk and will be a nice refresher for me!

Eric.