Free books, links and other learning resources

Michal Bigos

Aug 23, 2012, 2:17:08 AM8/23/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

there is a list of free books online to get started with Scala.

First of all "Programming in Scala" at http://www.artima.com/pins1ed/ an ultimate resource. Event this is 1st edition, many of the concepts remained. Those which changed can be aquired from http://docs.scala-lang.org/ section Learn. There you can find new collections, actors etc.

Second link is to free-books on Typesafe http://typesafe.com/resources/free-books. Those are not full books. "Scala for the Impatient" is best short introduction book to Scala I've ever read.
"Scala in Depth" targets seasoned developers. It describes several advanced concepts related to type system, collections etc. It's very good book, but requires some skills.

BTW: I've named this post more generally, to collect resources found online. Feel free to reply. Afterwards we can create wiki page from accumulated posts.

Alexander Daniel

Aug 25, 2012, 1:59:52 PM8/25/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
I enjoyed reading the Scala for the Intrigued Series in Pragprog Magazine by Venkat Subramaniam:
- Recursions and Tail Call Optimization http://pragprog.com/magazines/2012-05/scala-for-the-intrigued

Alexander Daniel

Aug 26, 2012, 9:52:34 AM8/26/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Free videos of Scala Days are available at

Have fun watching!

Alex

Michal Bigos

Sep 2, 2012, 5:24:14 PM9/2/12