kick off meeting

radim.p...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2011, 6:05:10 AM8/1/11
to Vienna Scala Users' Group
Hi all,

Michal und me are intending to make regular meetings about Scala
programming language. The idea behind is to make meetings on regular
basis /once a month/ where interesting topics about Scala would be
introduced.

We aren´t shooting too high, just to start off in August or beginning
September. The meetings will take place in http://metalab.at/, Vienna.

Feel free to join the discussion and let us know.

Radim

Alex

Aug 13, 2012, 5:39:50 AM8/13/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would be very interested to join the meetings about Scala. Any news?

Thanks,
Alex

Felix Amerbauer

Aug 16, 2012, 6:46:41 AM8/16/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

it's been a while since the original post but there are regular Scala enthusiast meetings in other towns (e.g. http://www.meetup.com/london-scala/) so why shouldn't it get going in Vienna.

I've been using mainly the Lift webframework (http://liftweb.net/) and the Squeryl ORM (http://squeryl.org/) so far. I'm planing to use the Play webframework (http://www.playframework.org/), the SLICK database library (http://slick.typesafe.com/) and get started writing SBT (http://www.playframework.org/) plugins.

Would it be considered rude to post an invitation on some of the popular scala related user mailing lists? (scala-user, lift, play-framework, simple-build-tool...)

Felix

radim.p...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2012, 11:35:25 AM8/16/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Well, what about a meeting on 22, 23.8 ? Everybody could present Scala techs he has experiences so far.

Michal Bigos

Aug 16, 2012, 12:16:44 PM8/16/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, can anybody propose some meeting point and the exact time? You can select your preferences in this poll:  http://doodle.com/yzbf6e44qysnimex

Michal Bigos

Aug 16, 2012, 12:27:01 PM8/16/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felix,

I'm glad to here about you interests. We founded this group with Radim a year ago, but nobody was interested at the time. It's definitely a good idea to promote the group on other mailing lists, if you are already signed-in and you know the community. So you're welcome to do that. Our intention from the begining was to join regional enthusiast of Scala from Vienna and surroundings same way as LSUG does. We failed at our first attempt, but we can try second time with your help :) You're more than welcome.

Michal.

radim.p...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2012, 1:10:09 PM8/16/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
We could either gather here: https://metalab.at/ (where Google User Group takes place) or just anywhere else - as we are only 3 right now - that  would be my choice.

Felix Amerbauer

Aug 16, 2012, 3:59:08 PM8/16/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michal,

Thx for the background info.

Just posted on the scala-user group (https://groups.google.com/d/topic/scala-user/Z_QIexPZyg4/discussion). I don't really know the community but I found other similar announcements and no complaints regarding this kind of threads.

Please let me know if you want to change anything at the scala-user group post.

Felix

Michal Bigos

Aug 17, 2012, 8:22:54 AM8/17/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Thx Felix, maybe just add a Doodle link in it (  http://doodle.com/yzbf6e44qysnimex ). That way the people will have an opportunity to attend and we'll see if there is need to meet in http://metalab.at or not.

Once again thanx for posting.
--
'(")'~

Felix Amerbauer

Aug 17, 2012, 8:45:28 AM8/17/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Done, BTW already 5 registrations for 22.8. 18:00 or 23.8. 18:00.

Michal Bigos

Aug 17, 2012, 8:49:45 AM8/17/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Perfect ! I'll close the poll on tuesday.

Michal Bigos

Aug 20, 2012, 3:07:18 PM8/20/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Ok we will meet on 22nd wednesday at 18:00 in Metalab.

Julian Schrittwieser

Aug 26, 2012, 3:21:25 PM8/26/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 20 August 2012 21:07:18 UTC+2, Michal Bigos wrote:
> Ok we will meet on 22nd wednesday at 18:00 in Metalab.

Awesome! I'd love to join, but I'll be in Dublin till the beginning of October - I'll definitely come to the meetings when I'm back :)

Michal Bigos

Aug 26, 2012, 4:07:03 PM8/26/12
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Great you're welcome check out this group or https://metalab.at/wiki/Scala_User_Group for next meeting dates :)