Generated equals and hashCode behave unexpectedly when case class has an array field

Clint Gilbert

Dec 3, 2013, 5:36:10 PM12/3/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com

Roman Janusz

Dec 3, 2013, 6:16:06 PM12/3/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com

I know arrays are a messy special case on the JVM, but am I wrong to
expect that case classes' equals and hashCode methods work by-value,
regardless of the type of fields?

You are not wrong and that is exactly how it works. Case classes always compare their fields by value. The problem is that equals/hashCode methods of arrays themselves implement comparison by reference:

scala> Array(1,2,3).equals(Array(1,2,3))
res0: Boolean = false

scala> Array(1,2,3).hashCode == Array(1,2,3).hashCode
res1: Boolean = false

Remember that arrays are MUTABLE and, of course, case classes are immutable by definition. This means that you absolutely should not use arrays in case class fields.
There is plenty of immutable collection types like List or Vector that you can successfully use instead.

√iktor Ҡlang

Dec 3, 2013, 6:33:13 PM12/3/13
to Roman Janusz, scala-user

+1

Clint Gilbert

Dec 3, 2013, 7:22:50 PM12/3/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com

√iktor Ҡlang

Dec 3, 2013, 7:39:19 PM12/3/13
to Clint Gilbert, scala-user
It would make a huge performance impact.

Cheers,

--
Cheers,

Viktor Klang

Director of Engineering

Twitter: @viktorklang

Gilbert, Clint

Dec 3, 2013, 8:56:32 PM12/3/13
to √iktor Ҡlang, scala-user
Fair enough. Was performance the reason for the current case class behavior, or did someone just forget to special-case arrays in the standard library hashing methods? (In general, forgetting a special case seems very plausible.)

Dec 4, 2013, 2:00:33 AM12/4/13
to Clint Gilbert, scala...@googlegroups.com
There are certainly times when you prefer to stash arrays in your (case) classes, usually motivated by primitives and performance. I've found a safer way to do it is to declare the parameter of type s.c.mutable.WrappedArray. That gives you access to the raw array but provides structural equality.

I find that it is better to think of case classes as a boilerplate generator (and have an understanding of what they generate), rather than to think of them as inherently immutable. Sure, some of the boilerplate (copy) makes using immutable classes much more convenient, but ultimately in scala immutabily is up to you.

Jason

Jason Zaugg

Dec 4, 2013, 2:03:02 AM12/4/13
to Clint Gilbert, scala...@googlegroups.com
I do admit that this is a pretty easy trap to fall into. We've recently been discussing the need for better lint tools, this is one of he many things it ought to flag

Clint Gilbert

Dec 4, 2013, 2:04:22 PM12/4/13
to Jason Zaugg, scala...@googlegroups.com