Override object inner trait

Etienne Couritas

Sep 23, 2014, 12:00:25 PM9/23/14
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I try to override an object in a trait

trait BaseEnum[T] {
  implicit object writes extends Writes[Enum] {
        def writes(....
  }
}

object ActionType extends BaseEnum[ActionType] {
implicit object writes extends Writes[ActionType] {
              def writes(...
        }
}

ActionType extends Enum

I go an "overriding object writes in trait BaseEnum" but my eclipse said all is ok.

I wonder why it's impossible to override a object in a trait?
And what alternative can I use.

Cheers
Etienne.

ramn.se ‘¸

Sep 25, 2014, 8:43:45 AM9/25/14
to Etienne Couritas, scala-user
I believe the 'object' is final. You would have to use a val instead.

Som Snytt

Sep 25, 2014, 9:09:55 AM9/25/14
to ramn.se ‘¸, Etienne Couritas, scala-user
I wonder if policy does this by default.

$ scala -Yoverride-objects
Welcome to Scala version 2.11.2 (Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM, Java 1.8.0_11).
Type in expressions to have them evaluated.
Type :help for more information.

scala> :pa
// Entering paste mode (ctrl-D to finish)

trait A { object X }
trait B extends A { override object X }

// Exiting paste mode, now interpreting.

defined trait A
defined trait B

Etienne Couritas

Sep 25, 2014, 9:14:16 AM9/25/14
to scala...@googlegroups.com, ram...@gmail.com, e.cou...@gmail.com
Hello, and thanks for your answer

There is a real différences bettween the use of val or the use of object?

And if the overriding of object are unable by default it's maybe there is some thing bad beyound the use of -Yoveride-objects?

Jason Zaugg

Sep 25, 2014, 9:32:49 AM9/25/14
to Etienne Couritas, scala-user, ramn.se ‘¸
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM, Etienne Couritas <e.cou...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, and thanks for your answer

There is a real différences bettween the use of val or the use of object?

And if the overriding of object are unable by default it's maybe there is some thing bad beyound the use of -Yoveride-objects?

I don't recommend that flag, there are some nasty unresolved issues with that feature.

-jason

ramn.se ‘¸

Sep 25, 2014, 10:17:58 AM9/25/14
to Etienne Couritas, scala-user
the 'object' is final, as we saw, and also defines a type which val doesn't.

Etienne Couritas

Sep 25, 2014, 11:13:34 AM9/25/14
to scala...@googlegroups.com, e.cou...@gmail.com
Define a type which cannot be override or instanciate is realy usefull ?
I can't realise the adventage of the object over the var. (in this case)
Because my va can contain an object with functions

Jason Zaugg

Sep 25, 2014, 8:05:56 PM9/25/14

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 1:13 AM, Etienne Couritas <e.cou...@gmail.com> wrote:

Define a type which cannot be override or instanciate is realy usefull ?
I can't realise the adventage of the object over the var. (in this case)
Because my va can contain an object with functions

If you want maximum flexibility, you need to resort to some boilerplate:

trait A {
  trait InnerApi { def foo: Int }
  type Inner <: InnerApi
  def Inner: Inner
}

trait B extends A {
  trait InnerApiB extends InnerApi { def bar: Int }
  type Inner <: InnerApiB
}

final class C extends B {
  class Inner extends InnerApiB { def bar = 0; def foo = bar }
  def Inner = new Inner
}

-jason

Etienne Couritas

Sep 26, 2014, 4:21:32 AM9/26/14
to scala...@googlegroups.com, e.cou...@gmail.com
Hello,

That really interesting, I don't know that was possible.
I don't know if it's always a good alternative because the dev which write the inheriting class must know there is a defined type.
I thinks will use this solution i'ts seems clean for me.

It's possible to have

trait B extends A {
 trait
InnerApiB extends super.Inner { def bar: Int }
 type
Inner <: InnerApiB
}

To not have to reference explicitly the super trait?
?

Etienne

Jon Pretty

Sep 26, 2014, 4:34:01 AM9/26/14
to Etienne Couritas, scala-user
I hope I'm understanding the question correctly, but you can't refer to the `Inner` in the supertrait if there's another `Inner` shadowing it, unless you qualify it, and prefixing it with `super.` is the way to do that.

There may be a better way of achieving the same high-level goal, but it looks like you might want something like virtual classes. These have been implemented as a research project using macros, though I'm not sure how robust they are currently. Have a look at:

  https://github.com/xmanu/scala-virtual-classes-annotation-macros

Jon Pretty | @propensive