Deprecate scala.collection.immutable.PagedSeq in 2.12?

Seth Tisue

Sep 21, 2015, 12:37:13 PM9/21/15
to scala-language
Would there be any objections if scala.collection.immutable.PagedSeq were deprecated in 2.12? I have a hunch that nobody uses it except the scala-parser-combinators library, and I think that library would be better off with its own version of it, that they can keep in sync with their own code and issue timely fixes to whenever needed. (scala-parser-combinators has active community maintainers.)

context this came up in: https://github.com/scala/scala-parser-combinators/issues/70, a parser combinators bug whose root cause turned out to be in PagedSeq.

I looked on Stack Overflow, and there were only 3 references to PagedSeq; two were in the context of parser combinators, and the third didn't suit the questioner's needs (http://stackoverflow.com/q/16219864/86485).

I also skimmed through the first few pages of Google search results and the first few pages of GitHub code search results, and everything looked combinators-related.

Justin du coeur

Sep 22, 2015, 2:48:09 PM9/22/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Anecdotally, in four years of heavy Scala development I've never come across any reason to care about this, and honestly, I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to look for it in the standard library -- it's awfully specialized.  I don't think it really belongs there...

Seth Tisue

Oct 2, 2015, 6:48:19 PM10/2/15
to scala-language
Looks like we can go ahead with the deprecation, then. Tracking it at: https://issues.scala-lang.org/browse/SI-9503