Scala IDE builds for the hard cores (Scala 2.10.1/2.11.0)

Mirco Dotta

Oct 4, 2012, 3:49:11 AM10/4/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Dear compiler hackers,

I'm happy to announce the availability of two new Scala IDE nightly builds for both Scala 2.10.1-SNAPSHOT and Scala 2.11.0-SNAPSHOT.

Update sites:

These new update site won't be advertised on the Scala IDE website, as we believe they would be source of confusion.

Note that the update site for Scala 2.10.0-SNAPSHOT is unchanged, i.e., http://download.scala-ide.org/nightly-update-master-trunk/ (which is currently a symbolic link to http://download.scala-ide.org/nightly-update-master-2.10.0/)

Cheers,
  Mirco

---------------
Mirco Dotta
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale
PSE-D, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Twitter: @mircodotta

Grzegorz Kossakowski

Oct 4, 2012, 4:40:42 AM10/4/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On 4 October 2012 09:49, Mirco Dotta <mirco...@typesafe.com> wrote:
Dear compiler hackers,

I'm happy to announce the availability of two new Scala IDE nightly builds for both Scala 2.10.1-SNAPSHOT and Scala 2.11.0-SNAPSHOT.

Cool! :-)

Update sites:

These new update site won't be advertised on the Scala IDE website, as we believe they would be source of confusion.

Note that the update site for Scala 2.10.0-SNAPSHOT is unchanged, i.e., http://download.scala-ide.org/nightly-update-master-trunk/ (which is currently a symbolic link to http://download.scala-ide.org/nightly-update-master-2.10.0/)

Any chance to cleanup this name? I think it would be the best if IDE followed scala's branch names so it's to identify which build of scala compiler is included.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Mirco Dotta

Oct 4, 2012, 5:20:37 AM10/4/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I am planning to do so once we have a final Scala 2.10.0 release.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Peter C. Chapin

Oct 4, 2012, 1:10:12 PM10/4/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on getting set up to do some compiler hacking (related to a dissertation project). I'm encountering some build errors and I'm not sure how to best handle them. I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this; please redirect me if there is a more suitable venue.

I've installed a fresh copy of Eclipse 3.7.2, Classic edition (64 bit, on my Ubuntu Linux host). I'm using JDK 1.6.0_35 (64 bit). I installed the Scala IDE from the second update site listed below ("For Scala 2.11.0"). I cloned the Scala code repository from GitHub and created a branch in my repository for my work. My branch is currently identical to a recent (about yesterday) master. I haven't started changing anything yet. I am able to build the compiler using ant.

Finally I set up Eclipse according to the instructions in src/eclipse/README.md. However, when Eclipse builds the projects I get these errors:

"Companions 'trait ReplConfig' and 'object ReplConfig' must be defined in same file: Found in /home/peter/Projects/Scala/src/compiler/scala/tools/nsc/interpreter/ReplConfig.scala and /home/peter/Projects/Scala/src/compiler/scala/tools/nsc/interpreter/ReplConfig.scala"
ReplConfig.scala
/scala-compiler/compiler/scala/tools/nsc/interpreter
line 13
Scala Problem

"Companions 'trait ReplStrings' and 'object ReplStrings' must be defined in same file: Found in /home/peter/Projects/Scala/src/compiler/scala/tools/nsc/interpreter/ReplStrings.scala and /home/peter/Projects/Scala/src/compiler/scala/tools/nsc/interpreter/ReplStrings.scala"
ReplStrings.scala
/scala-compiler/compiler/scala/tools/nsc/interpreter
line 13
Scala Problem

Notice that the two files mentioned in each error message are identical.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Peter

iulian dragos

Oct 6, 2012, 9:53:28 AM10/6/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Peter C. Chapin <PCh...@vtc.vsc.edu> wrote:
[...]

This looks like a bug in the Scala compiler. It may be triggered by a different order in which files are compiled, and that's why ant succeeds.

iulian

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:49:21 AM UTC-4, Mirco Dotta wrote:
Dear compiler hackers,

I'm happy to announce the availability of two new Scala IDE nightly builds for both Scala 2.10.1-SNAPSHOT and Scala 2.11.0-SNAPSHOT.

Update sites:

These new update site won't be advertised on the Scala IDE website, as we believe they would be source of confusion.

Note that the update site for Scala 2.10.0-SNAPSHOT is unchanged, i.e., http://download.scala-ide.org/nightly-update-master-trunk/ (which is currently a symbolic link to http://download.scala-ide.org/nightly-update-master-2.10.0/)

Cheers,
  Mirco

--
« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

Peter C. Chapin

Oct 7, 2012, 10:43:26 AM10/7/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Okay, thanks. It's not a show stopper for me; I'm still able to use eclipse effectively for development and then I build using ant in a terminal window. In any case it's good to know that I've probably got things set up properly at least.

Peter

Mirco Dotta

Oct 9, 2012, 3:51:24 AM10/9/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 6, 2012, at 3:53 PM, iulian dragos wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, this looks like a serious regression in the Scala 2.10 presentation compiler, as I'm getting the error pretty much every time I create a new class in the empty package (using the Scala IDE).
But the issue is not confined to the empty package, as it is sometimes reported in classes (or traits) located outside of the empty package.

Anyone with an informed guess on what may be the cause of the regression (was there any change related to companion object?).

-- Mirco

[...]

Peter C. Chapin

Oct 9, 2012, 8:45:05 AM10/9/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I also notice that this error appears on many (most? all?) non-nested traits in the Scala compiler source when I browse around, even though it is only listed twice in the problems view. When I create a trait of my own it is marked by the Eclipse IDE as having this problem even if my trait is (nearly) empty. Nothing that I'm looking at is in the default package or an empty package.

Peter

iulian dragos

Oct 9, 2012, 8:51:00 AM10/9/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Let's continue this discussion on the thread I just started. There's also a ticket now: https://issues.scala-lang.org/browse/SI-6490

thanks,
iulian

Paul Phillips

Oct 9, 2012, 9:28:37 AM10/9/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Mirco Dotta <mirco...@typesafe.com> wrote:
Anyone with an informed guess on what may be the cause of the regression (was there any change related to companion object?).

How old can it be? I would think it has to be this:

But that was six weeks ago, and it sounds like everyone is hitting this so that's a long time.

Paul Phillips

Oct 9, 2012, 9:29:48 AM10/9/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I see in SI-6490 this was already deduced.  It should be easy to fix.