Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October

arac...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2012, 2:44:40 PM8/31/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

after the "failure" on the last meeting, I want to try to set up a meeting for Thursday, 4th October 2012. I'm aware is more than 1 month away, but I believe this is kind of necessary to organize it properly.

I would like anyone interested in coming to answer this thread and to really attend (barring really urgent matters), 1 month should be time enough to block the date in your calendars and knowing how many people will attend helps to plan what will be done, for example if we meet somewhere informally or we try to book some place (for a bigger audience).

I also would like suggestions on what to do to be added to this thread until the 10th of September. Then, we can "Vote" the best suggestions and make it happen. Please be aware that it's the first one done in a long time and we may have few attendants. As much as I would love to do some really cool stuff, we may lack either the people or the resources to do some things.

And, most importantly: spread the word. Try to "hook" as many people as you can. Workmates, friends, etc. The more the merrier.

Let's try our best!

David Gonzalez

Aug 31, 2012, 6:49:24 PM8/31/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there!

arac...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2012, 4:11:50 PM9/2/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com, arac...@gmail.com
Hi everyone,

to follow up the previous email. My suggestion for the meeting is to establish a study group around the Scala course in Coursera (https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun). Andy Hicks (London Scala User Group) suggested that and I believe it's a great idea:
  • it's easy to set up (just a table in a pub can be enough)
  • it would work whatever the group size (2 or 20)
  • it may help getting everyone up to speed in Scala (from new starters to more experienced developers)
  • Once finished (course last 7 weeks) we'll have had enough time to see what can be done for the next meetings
The course is free to join and once it starts (18th September) we can narrow the contents of the meeting.

Suggestions, feedback?

David Gonzalez

Sep 2, 2012, 5:36:48 PM9/2/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
That is a perfect idea.

David Gonzalez

Sep 2, 2012, 5:37:25 PM9/2/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Anyone is working with Scala? I mean, I´m learning scala in order to give value to my CV but I don´t have real work experience.

2012/9/2 David Gonzalez <node...@gmail.com>
Message has been deleted

ga...@lyranthe.org

Sep 5, 2012, 3:19:15 PM9/5/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com, arac...@gmail.com
I also think that sounds great, I'm planning to take part in the course. As far as experience goes, I've been working almost full-time with Scala and JavaScript (mostly using the Play! framework, but any ancillary projects are also made with Scala/sbt) for the last 3 months.

I don't know if anybody has noticed a Scala event in London this November: http://skillsmatter.com/event/scala/scala-exchange-2012 - looks interesting.

One other thought, I only saw this list accidentally while doing a search for Scala on Google Groups. Have you (for some definition of "you") considered advertising on the Dublin Scala meetup.com group?

Gary.

Pere Villega

Sep 5, 2012, 3:20:55 PM9/5/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Great idea, I'll do that now. Thanks Gary!

Fergal Somers

Sep 10, 2012, 1:12:08 PM9/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com, pere.v...@gmail.com

Hi,

I work for Workday here in Dublin. We have a number of experienced Scala developers already and we have 4-5 new ones which are doing the online course.
We think a study meetup is a great idea and if people are interested, we are willing to host it, but unfortunately the week of Oct 4th doesn't work for us.
Would people consider moving it to sometime the following week?

Cheers,

Fergal.

Pere Villega

Sep 10, 2012, 1:35:36 PM9/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fergal,

that would be great. What do you say about October 11th? Anyone has an objection to that date?

Cheers,
Pere

David Gonzalez

Sep 10, 2012, 2:02:25 PM9/10/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Yes! October 11th will be good.

Fergal Somers

Sep 11, 2012, 3:53:12 AM9/11/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Great - Oct 11th it is then.

Cheers.

Fergal.

alanl

Sep 11, 2012, 11:58:50 AM9/11/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
October 11th good for me too.

Alan

Jos Flores

Sep 12, 2012, 9:32:12 AM9/12/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like fun; I have joined the course too so I'm in.

My only concern here is that the 11th is almost 3 weeks into the course, and there's bound to be quite a bit of activity before that. Using this mailing list might not be the best way to go about it... people not in the course do not want to be spammed. what you guys think? What about some kind of online study group? could also help people that are not in Dublin.
P2PU or Open Study could be a fit for this: https://p2pu.org/en/ or http://openstudy.com/

cheers,
José

arac...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2012, 12:56:05 PM9/25/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

just came back, I have to start with the coursera materials. The study group is fine, although we could just post questions to this mail list (it needs some activity after all).