[announce] 0.13.7-RC1 is released!

Josh Suereth

Oct 24, 2014, 7:08:44 PM10/24/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

sbt 0.13.7-RC1 is now available.  sbt 0.13.7 is a technology preview of what's to come in sbt 1.0.

Here are some of the notable additions since sbt 0.13.7:

- Natural whitespace handling (no blank lines needed in build.sbt) #1606 by @rkrzewski, @ajozwik and others at @WarszawScala. Dziękujemy!!
- Adds support for publishing to a custom Maven local repository. #1589/#1600 by @topping
- Adds circular dependency check. #1601 by @eed3si9n
- Adds experimental cached resolution (minigraph caching). #1631 by @eed3si9n

See [release notes][1] for the full details.

This release is intended to be binary and source compatible with 0.13.{x|x<7}, however the new parser is unable to handle certain classes of Scala syntax.   Of the builds we were able to check (see scala community builds), we did not see this syntax used in practice.  For examples and workaround, please see the [release notes][1]

It is possible to use the existing 0.13.x launcher with this release by settings project/build.properties as follows:

    sbt.version=0.13.7-RC1

No changes should be necessary to your project definition and all plugins published for sbt 0.13.{0,1,2,5,6} should still work.  Please report any issues you encounter if this is not the case.

Special thanks to the community for making this release a success.

- sbt team

Josh Suereth

Oct 24, 2014, 7:10:04 PM10/24/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to mention.  If no significant issues are found by Nov 7th, these binaries will become final.

thanks!

Sam Halliday

Oct 25, 2014, 11:50:11 AM10/25/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
I think I've spotted a regression in launching main applications.

In ENSIME, in addition to using sbt as our build tool, we also have a minimal build.sbt that is used to launch our application easily on users machines (this means the only dependency is an sbt self launching script and an internet connection)

This is what our build.sbt looks like ('sbt run' this in an empty directory after creating an appropriate project/build.properties, customising the variables below, and set JAVA_HOME to your JDK)

======================================
import sbt._
import java.io._

scalaVersion := "2.11.2"

resolvers += Resolver.sonatypeRepo("snapshots")

libraryDependencies += "org.ensime" %% "ensime" % "0.9.10-SNAPSHOT"

// guaranteed to exist when started from emacs
val JavaTools = new File(sys.env("JAVA_HOME"), "/lib/tools.jar")

unmanagedClasspath in Runtime += { Attributed.blank(JavaTools) }

mainClass in Compile := Some("org.ensime.server.Server")

fork := true

javaOptions ++= Seq (
  "-Dscala.usejavacp=true",
  "-Densime.config=/home/fommil/Projects/ensime-server/.ensime",
  "-Densime.cachedir=/home/fommil/Projects/ensime-server/.ensime_cache/"
)
======================================

With 0.13.7-M3 this works great, with 0.13.7-RC1 I get

java.lang.RuntimeException: No main class detected.
at scala.sys.package$.error(package.scala:27)
[trace] Stack trace suppressed: run 'last compile:run' for the full output.
[error] (compile:run) No main class detected.
[error] Total time: 2 s, completed 25-Oct-2014 16:49:48

Josh Suereth

Oct 25, 2014, 12:57:13 PM10/25/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Sam, can you please open a ticket on this?  I'll work on it right away.

Thanks!
- Josh

Sam Halliday

Oct 25, 2014, 1:21:50 PM10/25/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com

I'm out and about now, but I can create a ticket tomorrow. Thanks for prioritising this!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "sbt-dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sbt-dev/CAFLqJkxWH9mBDrtq4rc0VCMJqs-NAriprHHx8dTpnfQsAboZiA%40mail.gmail.com.

Josh Suereth

Oct 25, 2014, 2:28:02 PM10/25/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com

Sam Halliday

Oct 26, 2014, 6:51:43 AM10/26/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Nice, thanks! I look forward to RC2.

BTW, I think I found another regression, see my other thread "user caching of resolution results?"

Andrzej Jóźwik

Oct 27, 2014, 3:41:16 AM10/27/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com