[ANNOUNCE] sbt 0.13.8 is released

eugene yokota

Mar 20, 2015, 1:11:01 PM3/20/15
to sbt...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

sbt 0.13.8 is now available. sbt 0.13.8 is a technology preview of what's to come in sbt 1.0.

Here are some of the notable additions since sbt 0.13.7:

- Disable publishing on implicitly created root project by not enabling IvyPlugin by default. #1871 by @dwijnand

- Maven resolver plugin (uses Aether to resolve libraries). #1793 by @jsuereth

- Experimental project-level dependency exclusions. #1748 by @eed3si9n

- Sequential tasks. #1817 by @eed3si9n

- Cross-version support for Scala sources #1799 by @indrajitr

- Various cached resolution fixes by @eed3si9n

See [release notes][1] for the full details.

This release is intended to be binary and source compatible with 0.13.{x|x<8}, however the new parser is unable to handle certain classes of Scala syntax.

It is possible to use the existing 0.13.x launcher with this release by settings project/build.properties as follows:

   sbt.version=0.13.8

No changes should be necessary to your project definition and all plugins published for sbt 0.13.{x|x<8} should still work.  Please report any issues you encounter if this is not the case.

Special thanks to the contributors for making this release a success.

- sbt team

[1] http://www.scala-sbt.org/0.13/docs/sbt-0.13-Tech-Previews.html#sbt+0.13.8

[2] https://repo.typesafe.com/typesafe/ivy-releases/org.scala-sbt/sbt-launch/0.13.8/sbt-launch.jar

Jacek Laskowski

Mar 22, 2015, 7:03:17 AM3/22/15
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eugene/the team,

Thanks for the release! Just a couple of days back I was told not to have used the milestones as they were...well...milestones. It's gone and can spread the love to the latest changes. Thanks.

Shouldn't the version of sbt be 0.13.9-SNAPSHOT since 0.13.8 is out now? [1] Can we expect upgrading scalaVersion to 2.10.5 any time soon? [3]

BTW, you should really consider using sbt-release plugin [2] to drive the release process.

Simon Ochsenreither

Mar 22, 2015, 8:27:32 AM3/22/15
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the hard work!

After reading the release notes, it seems that we can't nuke Ivy/.ivy2 from the orbit just yet...
What's planned in this direction?

Andrzej Jóźwik

Mar 23, 2015, 4:04:18 AM3/23/15
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sbt team,

Good to hear that sbt is living.

Hi Jacek, Sbt team

I tried to change the scala version to 2.10.5. But the problem is, that on travis the sbt is launched with scala 2.10.4 (sbt 0.13.7). And there is conflict, and the NoSuchMethodException is thrown (see [1])
So I think you (we) need to change travis script to use for test the local generated files (jars generated during 'sbt publishLocal' command and stored in local ivy repository) and not build in parallel (ivy files are overridden by other builds).
I think this script will be helpful if you think about change the scala version to 2.11.6 + (2.12+)

Best regards,
Andrzej

Josh Suereth

Mar 24, 2015, 9:50:26 AM3/24/15
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andrzej,

Thanks for investigating.  That appears to be an issue w/ scripted, whcih I think we can fix.  Can you open a ticket to track it?

- Josh

Josh Suereth

Mar 24, 2015, 9:51:41 AM3/24/15
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 7:03 AM, Jacek Laskowski <jacek.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Eugene/the team,

Thanks for the release! Just a couple of days back I was told not to have used the milestones as they were...well...milestones. It's gone and can spread the love to the latest changes. Thanks.

Shouldn't the version of sbt be 0.13.9-SNAPSHOT since 0.13.8 is out now? [1] Can we expect upgrading scalaVersion to 2.10.5 any time soon? [3]

Regarding the version, yes.  I'll issue a PR shortly (or you can if you'd like).

BTW, you should really consider using sbt-release plugin [2] to drive the release process.

If we have a chance to remove the custom things in our build we've been relying on since before the release plugin existed, it's not a bad idea.  Thanks for the suggestion.

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 6:11:01 PM UTC+1, eugene yokota wrote:

[...]

Andrzej Jóźwik

Apr 24, 2015, 11:41:31 AM4/24/15
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh,
I create PR https://github.com/sbt/sbt/pull/1980 and hopefully it passed the tests.
I changed travis script - it run script after publish local.
What I discovered - the current command `sbt publishLocal` does not publish all jars to local repository. I replaced it with (trust me, all is neccessary):

sbt ";publishLocal;project bundledLauncherProj;publishLocal;project precompiled-2_9_2;publishLocal;project precompiled-2_8_2;publishLocal;project precompiled-2_9_3;publishLocal"

After publish the tests are run (with SNAPSHOT version - because project/build.sbt contains 0.13.8):

sbt -J-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=128m -Dsbt.version=0.13.9-SNAPSHOT "$SCRIPTED_TEST"

All finished with success.

Is it possible to make it easier? I do not know. All my previous builds failed, see for example:
https://travis-ci.org/sbt/sbt/builds/54919087

In this build I only changed 2.10.4 to 2.10.5. And then all test failed with:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: sbt.test.ScriptedTests$.run(java.io.File, boolean, [Ljava.lang.String;, java.io.File, [Ljava.lang.String;, scala.Function1)

at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Class.java:1667)

at Scripted$.doScripted(Scripted.scala:66)

at $139ac0d4fa1237b1a8f9$$anonfun$scriptedTask$2$$anonfun$apply$2$$anonfun$apply$3.apply(build.sbt:474)

at $139ac0d4fa1237b1a8f9$$anonfun$scriptedTask$2$$anonfun$apply$2$$anonfun$apply$3.apply(build.sbt:471)

I think that:

 - the version in project/build.properties should always be "x.y.z-SNAPSHOT" (then you do not need to changed travis command)

 - is it still needed precompiled-2_9_2, precompiled-2_8_2 and precompiled-2_9_3?

 - command publishLocal should publish sbt-launcher.jar to local repository (maybe it is regression)

Best regards,

Andrzej