[ANNOUNCE] sbt 0.13.13-RC1 is released

eugene yokota

Sep 16, 2016, 10:43:22 AM9/16/16
to sbt-dev

Howdy,

sbt 0.13.13-RC1 is now available. sbt 0.13.13 is a technology preview of what's to come in sbt 1.0.

Here are some of the notable additions since sbt 0.13.12:

  • The `new` command, which helps creating new build definitions. This is extensible via `templateResolvers` setting and sbt 0.13.13 will ship with Giter8 support out of the box. #2705 by @eed3si9n

  • Auto plugins can add synthetic subprojects. #2717 by @eed3si9n

  • The no-longer-documented operators `<<=`, `<+=`, and `<++=` are now marked deprecated. (These are removed in 1.0.x branch.) #2716 by @eed3si9n

  • The `.value` method is deprecated for input tasks since `.evaluated` is normally what's needed. (Also removed in 1.0.x branch) #2709 by @eed3si9n

  • Renames the early command `--<command>` that was added in 0.13.1 to `early(<command>)`. `--error` will work, but we encourage you to migrate to single hyphen version: `-error`, `-warn`, `-info`, and `-debug`. #2742 by @eed3si9n

See [release notes][1] for the full details.

This release is intended to be binary and source compatible with 0.13.{x|x<13}.

To test the `new` command, you would need to use the 0.13.13-RC1 launcher [2], zip install [4], or conscript:

   $ cs sbt/sbt -b 0.13.13

This will install `xsbt`, which you can use to test:

   $ xsbt new eed3si9n/hello.g8

It is possible to use the existing 0.13.x launcher with this release by settings project/build.properties as follows:

   sbt.version=0.13.13-RC1

No changes should be necessary to your project definition and all plugins published for sbt 0.13.{x|x<12} should still work.  Please report any issues you encounter if this is not the case. If no serious issues are found by Friday, October 30th 2016, 0.13.13-RC1 will become 0.13.13 final.

Special thanks to the contributors for making this release a success. According to git shortlog -sn --no-merges v0.13.12..0.13.13, [compared to 0.13.12][3], there were 34 (non-merge) commits, by 7 contributors: Eugene Yokota, Dale Wijnand, Martin Duhem, Jaroslaw Grabowski, Kenji Yoshida, Miles Sabin, Paul Draper. Thank you!

- sbt team

[1] http://www.scala-sbt.org/0.13/docs/sbt-0.13-Tech-Previews.html#sbt+0.13.13

[2] https://repo.typesafe.com/typesafe/ivy-releases/org.scala-sbt/sbt-launch/0.13.13-RC1/sbt-launch.jar

[3] https://github.com/sbt/sbt/compare/v0.13.12...0.13.13

[4] https://bintray.com/sbt/native-packages/download_file?file_path=sbt%2F0.13.13-RC1%2Fsbt-0.13.13-RC1.zip

eugene yokota

Sep 16, 2016, 10:54:13 AM9/16/16
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Typo on the final date. It should be two weeks from now: Friday, September 30th.

-eugene

Naftoli Gugenheim

Sep 16, 2016, 4:45:55 PM9/16/16
to sbt...@googlegroups.com

Any chance we could get Activator support?

eugene yokota

Sep 16, 2016, 5:30:44 PM9/16/16
to sbt-dev
You mean for `new` command's template resolver to hit the Activator Template server?
Basically `new` is the feature we ported from Activator conceptually, but for the backend we wanted to keep the resolver open,
so anyone can implement their own templating, instead of us prescribing a solution and having to host the list.
I think Giter8's philosophy of using Git repository as a template is more decentralized and is a better fit for sbt.
I would encourage popular templates to migrate to Giter8 or implement custom template resolver as sbt plugin.

Do you use a lot of templates?

-eugene
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sbt-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Dale Wijnand

Sep 22, 2016, 11:54:00 AM9/22/16
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

A small mistake was found in sbt 0.13.13-RC1, and fixed in https://github.com/sbt/sbt/pull/2749/files.

So I've released sbt 0.13.13-RC2, which includes only that change.

Because it's such a minor change we're going to keep our target date of Friday, September 30th.

- sbt team

Naftoli Gugenheim

Sep 23, 2016, 4:43:34 PM9/23/16
to sbt-dev

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016, 5:30 PM eugene yokota <eed3...@gmail.com> wrote:
You mean for `new` command's template resolver to hit the Activator Template server?

Yes

Basically `new` is the feature we ported from Activator conceptually, but for the backend we wanted to keep the resolver open,
so anyone can implement their own templating, instead of us prescribing a solution and having to host the list.

Agreed.

I think Giter8's philosophy of using Git repository as a template is more decentralized and is a better fit for sbt.

Activator works that way as well, except that there's also a centralized database that associates short names, descriptions, etc. with github repositories.

-eugene
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sbt-dev+u...@googlegroups.com.