Cmdr Alex Blair & Lt Chythar Skyfire: Boredom Express Part II (Backsim No TAGS)

Jeremy Shaffer

Apr 19, 2017, 9:59:16 PM4/19/17
to Za

((Crew Cabin, USS Fleetfoot, En Route to the USS Za))

::Alex picked up on Chythar’s silence and picked up the reigns for the conversation.::

Blair: Okay enough pleasantries, let’s move on to the serious stuff. What’s bothering you the most Chythar? I’m here to help, but can’t unless you tell me.

Skyfire: Most depressing thing out of the last week? I have to choose one?

:: There were three in total, but he didn’t need to say it. Concern over his two patients, which may have counted as one thing, and his demotion. Losing his rank, but remaining the chief for however long it was, was still hard to swallow. Insulting wasn’t really the right word to describe it, but definitely painful. ::

::Alex thought for a moment. None of the topics he could think of were really pleasant conversations, but he loved Chythar and if being with him meant pushing through these kinds of chats to help him so be it.::

Blair: Let’s talk about your demotion. I know that it’s got to hurt, but I want to know what’s going on inside that head of yours.

::As he spoke, Alex internally reflected on how he had started sounding like a counselor. It was definitely something he would have to come back to later.::

Skyfire: :: sighing heavily. :: What more should I say? Looking back, I admit to activating the restraining field. What I did seemed perfectly justified at the time, because the blow he suffered after trying to save your life I felt may’ve given him a concussion. I wanted to keep him for observation and make sure he was fine, but he kept insisting he had to go back to engineering to fix his boat. He was still coherent, seemed fine, told me to shove off, and I didn’t pay any heed because I was more concerned over his well being than the fact the Dominion was blowing holes in it.

:: He felt a bit of anger return to his words as he spoke. Devlin sensed the shift in his master’s mood and began licking his face again, trying to calm him down. ::

::Alex nodded as Chythar talked. He could understand the situation from both Chythar and Stoyer’s perspectives. But that wasn’t the point here.::

Blair: It’s great that you accept that your actions brought this on, but you have got to be mad about it. But I don’t think you’ve properly expressed that anger. That’s why I’m concerned. Don’t suppress it, let it out. Scream, shout, throw something across the room, just don’t bottle it up.

:: CD’s brow furrowed as he glanced at his partner. Those moments had to come up in every relationship, he was sure. Yet some conversations...he felt like he was getting a schooling from one of his nine or so counselors he’d spoken to. Given the confines of the Fleetwood, he couldn’t properly express it, but yeah. He was still angry. ::

Skyfire: You were wondering why I stayed out so late that night, aren’t you? I was off running one of the jiu-jitsu gauntlets. I was very cheesed off about finding out JAG investigated. Extremely angry. Taking it out on holo-opponents was easier than banging on your door and taking it out on you. :: He paused thoughtfully, still caressing the beagle on his lap. :: And depressed. All at the same time.

::Alex could tell that Chythar wasn’t happy with him at the moment, and Alex couldn’t blame him. Alex was acting a bit too much like a counselor and Alex knew full well about Chythar’s history with them.::

Blair: Chythar, I know I sound like a counselor and how much that’s got to be irritating you, but from my perspective I don’t have an alternative. I see you hurting like this and I’ve got to find a way to help. You went to the holodeck to take out some stress, that’s great. I love you Chythar and I’m just trying to help.

:: He nodded again and smiled at Alex. As weak as it was, just by being closeby to offer support was the greatest help at the moment. ::

Skyfire: Your being here instead of light-years away is helping the most right now.

::Alex moved so that he was even closer to his partner.::

Blair: Well then, I’ll just have to make sure that I’m always close.

Skyfire: You may have to get on my case about making sure I eat too. Sarah was of the opinion I skipped meals on purpose because I’m a workaholic.

::Alex smiled and scoffed at Chythar in mock disbelief.::

Blair: You a workaholic? I can’t see that…I had always pegged you as a nine to five kind of guy.::Alex laughed.:: I promise that I’ll do my level best to remind you, even if that means eating all my meals with you. I’m afraid that I’m going to go back to my old days of workaholism too. Engineering always seems to keep you busy.

:: He managed to elicit a small smirk from the doc. ::

Skyfire: :: in best Bugs Bunny impersonation :: He don’t know me vewwy well, do he?

::Alex laughed at Chythar’s strange impression.::

Blair: I think I know you too well sometimes.

Skyfire: We’ll see, won’t we? :: He met the engineer’s gaze, searching his partner’s eyes for that comforting presence as he waited for the next topic. ::

::Alex allowed a moment of silence to pass before bringing up the next topic.::

Blair: I know it’s been a little bit now, but how are you recovering from those marathon surgery sessions? I know you’ve been sleeping, but how are you?

Skyfire: Concerned. Not sure if Reynolds woke up or not, and have nae heard from Lael either. My transfer means they’re either lookin’ for a replacement or...something.

::Alex nodded. He was also concerned about Captain Reynolds and wished her a speedy recovery. Alex was more concerned about Lael. Over the course of his time on the Gorkon he had grown to consider Lael one of his close friends and didn’t know if he could stomach the thought of her not being around.::

Blair: I hope they’re both doing well, and as far as a replacement goes they won’t find one. There’s no replacing you.

Skyfire: Ah meant new chief, of course.

:: He smiled as he caught on to Alex’s little twist of words. In that moment, he felt the stress of the last few days begin to fade. He reached into his pocket and produced the rock he carried around, at the suggestion of his previous counselor as he set it next to Devlin’s paw.  The canine nosed the rock, sniffing it and licking it once out of curiosity. It tasted horrible. ::

Skyfire: May not be needin’ this any more. :: He paused thoughtfully and just stared at it for a few moments. ::

::Alex looked down at the rock and smiled. It was great to see Chythar let it go.::

Blair: Really? That’s great Chythar. What brought on the change?

:: He reached under his shirt and produced the tags, wrapping his hand around them tenderly before caressing one of the sheets of pressed metal. ::

Skyfire: These have helped. Stress out, and touch the tags. Like havin’ part of you with me at all times. :: and he nodded to the bracelet. :: Similar to how that works for you, aye?

::Alex smiled. It warmed Alex’s heart to know that something that was once his had such a positive effect on his partner’s life.::

Blair: ::smiling:: Absolutely. Makes me glad that they turned up!

Skyfire: Me too. :: He started to feel hunger sneak up on him once again, this time actually taking note of it and decided to comment before Alex mentioned it. :: What’s for breakfast?

::Alex laughed. For the first time in a long time a meal was mentioned and it wasn’t Alex who had brought it up. Heading out to the common room would also give Alex the chance to try and engage Ensign Fowler, the man assigned to take the Fleetfoot back home, in conversation. It was a feat that so far Alex had been unsuccessful at, but had no intention of giving up.::

Blair: Well, we do have access to a replicator so whatever floats your boat. Why don’t we head out and grab something? It will give me another chance to mess with Ensign Fowler.

Skyfire: Sure, sure.

Devlin: Raff! :: He yipped at the mention of food, bounding to the ground and giving another derpy puppy grin. ::

::Alex smiled before standing up and turning around and sticking his hand out for Chythar.::

Blair: Well, let’s get a move on then.

:: Chythar followed him, the little canine following in between Lexi and Master. ::

TBC

Commander Alex Blair

Chief Engineer

USS Za