[V-SIC] Dr. Nikki Ryan: Slow Burn

Nikki Ryan

Oct 8, 2017, 6:24:22 PM10/8/17
to UFOP: StarBase 118 – USS Veritas

((Sickbay, USS Veritas))

Ryan: ::as she started scanning Blake’s arm:: How long have you been having problems?

Blake: For the last few weeks. I had it checked out by doctor's on the Edge, but they're not familiar with Brekkian physiology, so the best they could do was tell me to rest up. Only now has it started giving me actual pain.

:: Nikki glanced up looking skeptical. ::

Ryan: Is it just in this arm or both?

Blake: Pain is primarily in this one. My left upper arm feels strained, though.

Ryan: When was the last time you produced a shock?

Blake: Two weeks ago, against medical advice.

:: Nikki tried her best to keep her expression neutral. Though she was afraid she was failing miserably. ::

Ryan: Against medical advice? Why?

Blake: It'd been a bad day.

:: She inhaled and exhaled. Why were all her patients so stubborn? Then again, she was working herself against her doctor’s advice. ::

Ryan: ::shaking her head:: Make a fist for me.

:: As Blake made a fist, Nikki ran her hand scanner over the woman’s palm and forearm. Her brow knitted while she watched the readings scroll across the monitor. .::

Blake: You're gonna tell me I'm burning myself from the inside out, aren't you.

Ryan: In essence, that’s exactly what you’re doing. Are you certain, this has never happened before?

Blake: Honestly? Even if it *had*, I wouldn't remember. But I can guarantee that this hasn't happened before in the last three years of my life.

:: That wasn’t the answer Nikki was hoping for. There was nothing in Blake’s medical records that indicated she had but that didn’t always mean she hadn’t. She sat the scanner down and shoved her hands into her lab coat pockets. ::

Ryan: You have some damage to the perineurium surrounding the peripheral nerves in your wrist and forearm associated with the Hunter’s organ which is what actually produces the electroshocks. As well as some damage to epineurium and endoneurium. Frankly, I’ve never seen anything like this.

Blake: Response

Ryan: We have two options that don’t involve removing the Hunter’s organ. We can try regenerative therapy, which is what I prefer to try first, or we can go straight to surgery to replace the connective tissue and nerve bundles.

Blake: Response

Ryan: 3 times a week for at least 4 weeks. Each treatment will take about thirty minutes.

Blake: Response

Dr. Nikki Ryan

  Chief Medical Officer - USS Veritas

A238909RJ0