Lt Wil Ukinix - Kick Start My Heart

Danny Lee

Oct 7, 2019, 6:49:07 AM10/7/19
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Main Engineering, Deck 9, USS veritas))

Ukinix: Heads up, we’re approaching Scylla Pass.

Core: The pass is rife with plasma storms. Better batton down the hatches.

Alse: Preparing plasma event protocols.

Tahlin reached out and typed some commands into the console with one hand while searching for the sensor control commands...

Taggert: (on recording) Trust Taggert! - you won’t find a better ship at a lower price anywhere in the Shoals and that’s a promise!  Remember, whether you’re in the market for a comfortable family shuttle to take the kids to school or a sleek racer that’ll take the competition to school-

Wil, on the other hand, upon hearing the advertisement, let out a line of swear words that would have put a small crater in a moon, before pressing the command on the large console that had the word “MUTE” on it.  He then jumped a little after pressing the button when, coincidentally, a klaxon warning sounded.  There was a split second where he thought that he had pressed the wrong button, causing the alarm to set off.  That was until he looked at the large display in front of them.

Ukinix: ::Quietly:: Dammit.

Core: Looks like that warp field graze blew out two of our maneuvering thrusters.

Alse: :: Looking over Core's shoulder.:: The quaratum's been rendered inert, it won't fire in its present state. I don't understand how that happened though.

Tapping the console, Wil brought up the diagnostic logs to see if there was anything amiss.

Ukinix: I’ll see if I can determine the cause.

Alse: Assuming the injectors and the rest of the quaratum supply wasn't affected we can just purge it by dumping it into space and reloading the material, the thrusters themselves look to be fine.

Wil nodded slowly as he took in Tahlin’s suggestion, before his nodding got faster.

Ukinix:  ::To Tahlin:: Good thinking Ensign, do it.  ::Tapping combadge::  =/\= Engineering to Bridge, we have to dump and reload quaratum, it’ll be about 15 seconds before all manoeuvring thrusters are back to being as responsive as they were. =/\=

Any Bridge: =/\= Response =/\=

Core: Response

Ukinix: ::Furrowing brow:: Yeah, it’s weird, right?  Hang on-

He tapped a line in the diagnostic logs.

While the ship’s active short-range sensors had been deliberately weakened for the race, they were still Starfleet grade sensors, and could only be weakened a small amount.  Wil had thought that unfortunate during the preparations, because that was extra power that could have been used elsewhere.  But at that moment, he was glad – it had provided information that was unlikely to have been found by any other ships in the race.

Ukinix: Ha, check this out.  “Iodised anti-protons”.

He tapped a few more times, before smiling while putting his tongue in his cheek, and shaking his head.

Ukinix: It came from the… Star of Corinth.  ::Smiling more:: Pushing the boundaries.  ::To Tristam:: Could we adjust the shield harmonics slightly to reduce the chances of that happening again?

Core: Response

Wil nodded in agreement with Tristam.

Ukinix: Sounds good and definitely within the rules, go for it.

Alse: Response

The “Colonial Coalition Racing League” was the custodian of ship racing in the Shoals, under the governing racing body FESG (Galactic Spacecraft Federation, or literally Fédération des Engins Spatiaux Galactiques in French).  Most of the rules for the many classes of racing vessels were consistent across the Alpha quadrant, including rules pertaining to grievances – each vessel had the right to lodge a formal protest for race tactics, whether incident, tactical or technical based.  Wil had managed to steal few hours of sleep in his quarters here or there before the race.  And each time, even though he was tired, his mind was racing (pun intended, Mr. Monroe).  To help him get to sleep he had skimmed through the hundreds of pages of rules on his PADD.  The regulations regarding protests were heavy reading, and had *literally* made him tired.  But they had sunk in.

Despite the wordiness of the rules that would make even a Vulcan legal expert want to throw rocks at something, the process for lodging a technical complaint was simple – put together evidence, describe the grounds for protest, send it to the race organisers, and send a copy to the offending ship.  Stewards were obligated to immediately investigate the protest – and, concurrently, the offending ship also had to lodge a response.

Ukinix: Tahlin, I have an idea - ::Wicked smile:: we’ll bog them down in paperwork.  Might be a way to distract them enough to get past and give us a few seconds gap. ::Pointing at logs:: Gather up that diagnostic info and send a summary of our complaint to the race stewards and the Corinth as a protest.

While speaking, Wil picked up his nearby PADD.

Ukinix: Oh, and uh… ::tapping on PADD:: … put this raw data packet at the end of the copy you send to the Star of Corinth.  Give ‘em something to think about.

Alse/Core: Responses

Smiling, Wil tapped a few more times on his PADD, to place a service job on the Engineering tasks queue.  He had a good idea of who would pick it up…

Once done, he put his PADD down again, and looked at the large display of the Veritas in front of them.

Ukinix: OK, let’s shift as much power as we can to impulse engines, then when we’re through this mega-chicane, shift everything back to warp engines.

Alse/Core: Responses

Tags/TBC…

Lieutenant Wil Ukinix

Acting Chief Engineer