(JP) Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek & Ensign German Galven: May I Have This Dance? Part I

Lael Rosek

Aug 30, 2018, 8:35:44 PM8/30/18
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

OOC: Takes place after Lael’s “Frank Conversations”

OOC2: Takes place after German’s “Time Freeze!”

((Holodeck 2, USS Veritas))

::Lael grunted with effort as she grabbed for the knife that the Romulan was attempting to drive into her shoulder and twisted it free of his grip before slashing his throat and driving it into his chest. Another Romulan grabbed her from behind and she jerked the knife free of the first Romulan’s chest, turning to deliver a roundhouse to the side of the Romulan’s head before driving the knife into his side and chest.::

:: Galven walked into the holodeck and stopped dead in his tracks as a Al-Leyan was still training. He didn’t know what to do or say so he just stood there awkwardly and looked around nervously as she was slashing away at Romulans. As she finished, he slow clapped. ::

::She tensed when she heard someone clapping and just managed to avoid another knife. The Romulan swung with a fist, catching her jaw, causing her head to jerk back. A line of blood appeared where the punch had cracked her lip and she wiped it away with the back of her hand. When the Romulan came at her again, she deflected a few swings before she captured him in a choke hold before twisting his neck until she heard the less than delicate crack.::

Rosek: ::rasps:: Computer, freeze program.

::When the computer chirped in confirmation, she turned to the room’s newest occupant, her eyebrows arched clean up to her hairline.::

Rosek: ::breathily:: May I help you with something?

:: Galven still impressed with how she dealt with the last Romulan she killed, he hesitated at first and tried to muster up something to say. ::

Galven: ::stuttered:: I.. uhm… I didn’t realize anyone was in here and was about to start a new session.

::Lael moved toward the nearby bench and picked up a towel to dab at her split lip. It wasn’t the worst injury she’d gotten from this program, but it had been a long time since she’d failed to block a punch to the face. She grimaced, rubbing the back of her neck. It was likely to hurt later from the force of it.::

Rosek: Computer, what time is it?

Computer: It is 2110 hours.

Rosek: ::grimaces:: No wonder. I went over my scheduled time. ::to Galven:: Sorry.

:: Galven watched her walk over and wipe the blood off her face. He still was a bit apprehensive and jumped when the computer spoke. He then regained his composure.

Galven: No need to apologize. The computer is wrong though. I think it’s time for me to start training more! How were you able to fight so many at once so fast?

Rosek: ::grins:: Years of practice. I’ve been working at it since I was five.

:: He was too busy with his science degrees to work on hand to hand combat. Even in training, he used physics to beat the Breen rather than get close to them. ::

Galven: :: Nervously talked and yabbered on::  I don’t have much hand to hand combat. I’m a science geek. I make things and test them out. If there’s not any explosions, anyone else would think that’s a good result.

Rosek: ::smiles:: Yeah. I was more about taking things apart and putting them back together. ::laughs:: Made my mom crazy. Growing up, I fixed more cars than I did meals.

Galven: ::smirks and tries his best robotic impersonation. :: What are cars? Does not compute! :: Back to normal voice. :: Hey, you wanna stay and see how I defeated the Breen?

::Lael arched an eyebrow, but couldn’t help the grin that slid across her lips. He wasn’t what she was used to. Most of the people around her took themselves so seriously that she felt the need to be the one who lightened the mood. German seemed capable of that without any help from her. It was refreshing. For once, she wasn’t pressured to take on the world’s problems.::

Rosek: ::smirks:: That depends...am I going to lose a couple of fingers in the process? Or will I just be walking around with one of my eyebrows looking funny for awhile?

::Although, losing some fingers would be a big problem. A robotic hand would look pretty gnarly. German tried to remember if anything happened to his training officer after he blew up the Breen. ::

Galven: ::places index finger on the right of his mouth:: Now, that I think of it… My training officer did have to get out of the way and then just simply graduated me right after. So, my advice would just be… be on your toes! Unless, something might happen to your feet.. ::He shrugged::

Rosek: ::arches an eyebrow:: You don’t survive three years as a Starfleet officer and the kinds of situations I’ve been in without learning that much at least.

Galven: Well, then… Sounds like your ready for anything! Computer, play the last 5 minutes of my Academy training session with Lt Cmdr Ayiano Sevo.

Computer: Playing the last few minutes of your training session in Engineering.

((Officer’s Lounge, USS Veritas))

{{Time Index: An hour later}}

::Lael sat down at the table in front of the prime viewing port with a glass of brandy in hand, motioning for German to take the seat across from her. The last time she’d had a drink with someone outside of her usual social circle had been Ensign Wrader after their sparring session on the holodeck. She wished she could say the same about the last time she’d had a drink in general.::

::She spent more time with a glass in her hand these days than she liked. It was her way of keeping her distance from emotional entanglements. Even with Jon, she’d had to get good at faking a smile...though he usually saw right through it. Bless him, he’d learned the hard way not to question her too much. She grimaced as she thought of their last big fight just before the custody hearing on Earth...and that was weeks ago by now.::

::German walked over with a Long Island in hand. Luckily with his high immune system he was able to drink hard liquor without much consequences. He sat down across from her and noticed she made a weird face. He didn’t want to point it out in case it made her mad. So instead he went with the most generic thing he could think of for conversation. ::

Galven: So, why did you want to join Starfleet? ::smirks:: To destroy all the Romulans?

Rosek: ::smiles wanly:: Actually, my dislike of Romulans started after I graduated. ::smile fades and her gaze drops to the glass in her hand::

::Galven knew immediately he chose the wrong topic to start off with. He was about to say something, but then Rosek continued talking.::

Rosek: During my first mission as an Ensign, myself and a colleague were captured by a rebel faction of them. They held us in a cell on an unknown planet and tortured us for three days trying to convince us to help them rework a virus into a biological chemical weapon. ::pauses and shakes her head, smiling as her gaze meets his:: But I’ve worked through a lot of that. My ex had an affinity for Romulans and he helped me to see that they’re not all bad.

Galven: That sounds like an awful way to start into your Starfleet career. I’ve never heard of a good Romulan before. Although, in my defense, I’ve never encountered any. Only the Borg on a past couple occasions.

::He looked down and hesitated before taking a sip of his drink. He didn’t want to go down those memories. He looked back up at her and smiled as he took another drink. ::

Galven: So, how did you get out of your situation?

Rosek: ::pauses:: Our colleagues eventually came for us. ::grimaces:: It was more complicated than it sounds. The rebel Romulans had introduced a drug to our systems that killed our ability to reason… ::shakes her head:: It was an intense mission.

Galven: I bet. Anyways! So, let’s talk about something else before we Klingon to any other bad memories.

::His pun made him uncomfortable given his family history with the Klingons, but she didn’t know that. He wanted to lighten up the mood. Essentially, they were in a bar and drinking. Then to add a heavy story like hers was a good recipe for disaster. ::

::Lael rolled her eyes at the pun, but a soft smile crossed her lips just before she hid it with a long sip from her brandy. It was different than talking to Chythar, who she was usually trying to cheer up with her own terrible jokes and light-hearted teasing. Her gaze locked with his and she smirked.::

Rosek: Do you purposely look for the silliest puns you can come up with?

Galven: ::laughs:: Only when the situation calls for it! ::He mimes picking up a phone. :: The phone is for you. Puns are calling.

::He knew that was a borderline terrible joke, but he does like to say he minored in puns. One day, with his major in temporal mechanics he’d be able to make a time machine and make better puns, but until that day comes, he’s just going to use what he has now. ::

::She snorted into her drink and had to catch her breath when the laugh caused a bit of the burning liquid to go down the wrong way. Once she had, she arched an eyebrow at them.::

Rosek: The 20th century called. They want their puns back.

Galven: ::grabbed a napkin:: Do you need help with that drink? ::smirks:: Shall I get you another less mucus filled drink?

Rosek: ::grimaces and takes the napkin, wiping her mouth:: God, I haven’t snorted like that in front of anyone since...hell, I can’t remember when. Maybe Chythar once or twice. ::grins:: My mother would be appalled.

Galven: ::smiles:: That’s good to know. Now, I know to make silly jokes behind you so you don’t accidentally spill your drink on me. ::Gets up and gets her another brandy. :: Here. ::teasingly:: I’ll turn around every time you drink.

::She arched an eyebrow and took a sip of her new drink. In some ways, the man was even more of a smart@$$ than Anjar. Why it didn’t irritate her as much coming from German, she had no idea. Maybe it was because there wasn’t the same cockiness in the way he said it. For German, it seemed to be less about one-upping and more about light-hearted teasing. Same quilt, different makers so to speak.::

Rosek: ::arches an eyebrow and takes a drink:: That’s how you talk to a superior officer, Mr. Galven?

---

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek

Acting Chief Engineering Officer

USS Veritas NCC-95035