Lt Wil Ukinix - Enjoy your diagnostic

Danny Lee

Dec 5, 2019, 8:35:35 PM12/5/19
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(OOC: Previously, on Star Trek: Veritas...)

((Flashback - Deck Twelve, Section 33 Aft, USS Veritas, Otherwise known as “The Stargazer Lounge”))

Teller:  Oo, here it is.  Deck Twelve, room 217 theta.  Computer has it listed as ‘supplemental observation station’ for use during landing operations, but from the notes I found in the computer, one of the previous Chiefs started using this for overflow storage years ago and it hasn’t been cleaned out since.  Think we’ll find some buried treasure?

Vanlith: Possibly. (hair fallen over half of her face.)

Ukinix: (Dubiously) Hmmm…

Teller:  Well, here goes.

Teller input his code into the panel and scowled when the door only parted fractionally.  The room within was dark, but he could see cargo containers pushing against the door, pinning it in place.

Teller:  Wil, Charlena, grab a side.

Ukinix: (Reaching for door) Yep, OK sir.

Vanlith:  Aye Sir

The three of them set their stances and began yanking and shoving the doors open.  After a few seconds of grunting effort, the doors shifted and the room disgorged a random collection of parts, boxes and mysterious errata into the hallway in a huge, disorganized pile.

Teller:  Oh that’s great - when the note said ‘storage,’ it apparently should’ve said ‘junk pile.’

((A few hours Later…))

Ukinix: We’ll clean up here, and after that I’m going to see what’s on (picks up object) this data storage drive that was in here.

Teller:  Wait, wasn’t that the one with a bloodstain on it?

Vanlith: Not sure what you’ll find on that...

((A few more hours later...))

Wil entered the engineering lab, and placed the data storage drive in the slot next to a console.  Tapping the screen, he configured an isolated data storage area, so that he could inspect the mystery data drive with blood stains on it, and see what trash or treasure it might hold, without it potentially infecting the rest of the ship’s systems.  He then tapped a button which gave the signal to open the drive.

But the LCARS screen flashed a red error message back at him.

“Unable to read data. Corruption detected.”

After a small moment of disappointment, Wil tapped a few more commands on the console, to see if the data could be repaired.  A minute or two of the screen flashing the word “Analyzing” later, another technical display came back.

The good news was that there was an 88 percent chance of the computer being able to repair and restore the data.

The bad news was that the estimated time it would take was 4.65 weeks.

Shrugging, Wil hit the “confirm” button, and left the lab...

((End Flashback))

(OOC: This is intended to be the equivalent of a “hovering” one camera, one take kind of scene)

((Main Engineering, Deck 8, USS Veritas))

Wil was at a console in front of the warp core, looking at the results of a routine level 3 system diagnostic on the warp systems.

Around him, engineering personnel were going about their normal tasks.  His empathic Betazoid self was “quiet”, there were no strong emotions around him, and any emotions he did sense subconsciously felt like background noise.

It was a normal, routine day in engineering.  There were no Vipers whipping the ship, no AI ship trying to rip them apart, they weren’t stranded on a tropical planet, there was no Temporal Integrity Committee meddling (as far as he knew), no babies to deliver, and thankfully he wasn’t in gaol in the course of investigating the murder of a Starfleet officer.

At that moment, Wil couldn’t be happier.

Ukinix: ::Singing quietly to himself:: Der-der-der-der Der-der Der-deerrr baa na-na-na, baa na-na-na, baa na-na-na, baa na-naaa…

His singing was interrupted by his friend and colleague Charlena.

Vanlith: Hey

Ukinix: Hey Char, how are ya?

Vanlith: I’m not too bad but I can’t seem to remember what I’m doing wrong here. I just can’t seem to get it to run. ::hands Wil the PADD::

He took the PADD from Charlena, and inspected the results.

Ukinix: Oh, that’s no worries, if you adjust the tolerance to point, hmmm, zero-two?  Maybe zero-three? That should be enough.

Vanlith: Ohhh I see. So now the tolerance is right it should work fine.

Ukinix: Gotchya. ::Handing PADD back:: Hey, how’s Baxter?  Haven’t seen him around in a while.

Vanlith: ::chuckling:: He’s good. He’s currently out and about somewhere. He seems to like the ship so maybe a new BAXTER needs to be made for my brother.

Ukinix: I’d love to get him to meet my grandparent’s dog.  Wonder how she’d react to a robotic dog?

Vanlith: That could be interesting. I mean BAXTER does have a dog only setting where he is more like a pet dog than an assistant.

As Charlena headed back towards a Jeffries tube, Wil spoke to her.

Ukinix: I wonder if when they first met they’d still sniff each other’s rear ends like dogs do?

Wil turned back to his console, before Wil’s “best friend”, the computer, spoke up.

Computer: Vice Admiral Winning Pants.  Data corruption repair operation is now complete.  Data has been restored with 99.9752 percent accuracy.  Results are now available in data storage containment area Ukinix-Alpha-Nine-Omega.

Ukinix: oO I’d totally forgotten about that.  *And* I need to reset my name in the computer. Oo

Ukinix: ::Looking up::  Acknowledged.

Wil made his way to the engineering lab, again singing to himself.

Ukinix: ::Singing quietly to himself:: I-hear the-drums, echoo-ing to-niiight… but she hears on-ly whi-spers of some qu-iet con-ver-saaaaaa-tion…

He sat down at a console, and tapped a few times on the screen.  Navigating to the now uncorrupted files, the screen displayed the technical results.  His eyebrows raised, and he smiled a little.

Ukinix: ::Quietly, to himself:: Hmm.  Holodeck program. ::Nodding, still smiling::  Alright then.

He looked up a little.

Ukinix: Computer.  Are any of the holodecks free?

The computer chirped a confirmation tone, before answering him in that almost robotic voice he “loved” so much.

Computer: Holodeck 2 on deck 5 is currently unoccupied.

Ukinix: OK, transfer data program from data storage containment ::looking at screen:: Ukinix-Alpha-Nine-Omega to holodeck 2, but don’t start the program yet.

Computer: Acknowledged.

The computer chirped again to indicate the end of the “conversation”.  Wil stood up and made his way to the Chief Engineer’s office.

Ukinix: ::Singing quietly to himself:: She’s com-ing in, twelve-thiirty fliight… the moon-lit wings ree-flect the stars that guide me t’wards salvaaaaa-

He stopped singing and poked his head into the office.

Ukinix: Hey Chief.

Teller looked up from his PADDwork, thankful for the distraction.  Quiet days in Engineering were a blessing and a curse, as they gave him no excuse to avoid the forms, requisitions, reports and messages he’d been successfully dodging for weeks.

Teller: What’s up, Wil?  Please tell me there’s some critical emergency that needs my immediate attention.

Ukinix: Oh, all good, Warp core is tip top.  She’s all ready for the ball for you.

Crestfallen, Teller slumped back into his chair.

Teller: Damn...I mean...great.  Excellent work.  ::He sighed as he surveyed the Paddwork mountain::  Just dropping by to brighten my day or did you need something?

Ukinix: I’m just gonna head up to deck 5 for a bit, I’ll be back in about 20 or so.

Teller:  Shouldn’t be an issue ::Teller offered a wicked smile::  if I need you I’ll have Mr. Phan’ta’go track you down.

Ukinix: ::Rolling eyes:: Oh, hell no.  He’s always asking if we can hear him, maybe we should send him to sickbay to get his ears checked.

Teller: Sounds like just the job for the Assistant Chief Engineer...

Ukinix: Hmm… anyway, I’m off to deck 5.  See you soon.

Choosing a PADD at random.

Teller: I’ll be here…for hours...at least.  I haven’t even started on the pile Mr. Alse left this morning.

He turned and made his way out of engineering.

Ukinix: ::Singing quietly to himself:: I stopped an old-man ‘long the waay… hoping to-find some long for-got-ten-words… or an-cient meeee-lodies…

Turning right at the corridor and not even seeing the person behind him, he headed towards the turbolift to press the call button.

Ukinix: ::Singing quietly to himself:: He turned to me as-if to-sayy… Hu-rry booy, it’s wait-

He interrupted himself when the person that was behind him suddenly stood next to him and turned to look at him. It was Captain Rahman.

Ukinix: Captain!  You um.  You surprised me.

She just looked back at him, not acknowledging that statement.

Wil placed his hands behind his back. They waited for a while, and the engineer spoke up to break the silence.

Ukinix: Deck 5, you?

The captain took a deep breath.

Rahman: ...Deck 1.

Mercifully, the turbolift finally arrived. As the turbolift doors opened, he gestured for the Captain to go first as he continued talking.

Ukinix: Just ummm… ::smiling:: just going to run a diagnostic on Holodeck 2.

Rahman: ::stepping past him into the turbolift:: Didn’t ask. Didn’t need to know.

Ukinix: oO Woah.  Bad day? Oo

Ukinix: Okiiieeeee... Dokie then.

She gave the computer her destination and as the lift began ascending, she looked over at him and nodded.

Rahman: Whatever you do on the holodeck, that’s your business, Mr. Ukinix.

Wil’s eyebrows shot up as his eyes opened wide.

Ukinix: Wait - no, no, I’m not into that sort of-

Rahman: ::shaking her head:: Unless it affects the ship’s operation, causes embarrassment to the Federation and Starfleet, or is illegal…

She held her gaze on him for a moment.

Rahman: I don’t ask. I don’t need to know.

Ukinix: Sir, honestly it’s not that kind of holodeck program.

When the Captain didn’t respond, Wil simply sighed in resignation. The lift chimed as it arrived at Deck 5.

Ukinix: ::Under his breath:: Awkies.

Red faced from embarrassment and not sure what to say, he silently took a few steps forward to leave the lift.

Rahman: Enjoy your “diagnostic.”

Ukinix: ::Over his shoulder:: Yeah um… ::waving hands in resignation:: Thanks sir.

As he began walking away down the corridor, the captain’s eyes remained locked onto him until the lift doors finally closed behind him. Wil stopped to turn back and look at the lift doors with a rueful expression, before he shrugged then began singing to himself again as he made his way to the Holodeck.

Ukinix: ::Singing quietly to himself:: ‘S’gonna take-a-lot… to take-me awaaaaaaaaaaay from yoooou... there’s no-thing ::rounding corridor::  that-a hun-drend men or-more could eveer-dooo ::small breath:: I bless the-

As he approached Holodeck 2, he stopped singing while he inspected the small console next to the door that had his name on it, and that a holodeck program was awaiting execution.  But instead of instructing the computer to begin the mystery program, Wil walked into the gridded walls of empty holodeck.  The doors closed behind him.

Ukinix: Computer.  Holodeck programming console, and display properties of queued program.

The computer chirped confirmation, and a standard Starfleet console materialised 4 metres from the doors.  He approached the screen.  It showed that the holodeck program was small and wasn’t a complete program - instead it was a single holographic character.  Wil tapped away at the LCARS screen to get more information.

He pushed out his bottom lip when it was apparent there was no attributes or metadata that explained who or what the character was - other than it was around 4 years old.

Ukinix: Computer.  Are the holodeck safety protocols active?

It was a dumb question.  But best to be safe than sorry.

Computer: Confirmed.  Holodeck safety protocols are enabled by default.

In response, Wil simply sang a little more of the song from his music collection that had been stuck in his head all day.

Ukinix: ::Singing quietly to himself:: I bless the ra-ains down-in aaaaaaaa-fr-i-caaaaa…. Gonna take-some tiiime to-do-the.. things we ne-ver haaaaa-aaa-aaa-aaaa-aaaa-aa-aave… ::Loudly:: Ooo-ooo-hoo...

Satisfied that everything was ready, he gave one last command to the computer.

Ukinix: Computer.  Display holodeck character.

There was a confirmation chirp, before a quick “woosh” sound as someone shimmered into holographic existence.  The character stood a few metres away in front of him.  Wil stepped sideways out from behind the console, and looked at the person who had materialised.

She was a young woman, he thought seemingly the same age or a few years older than himself.  She was Blonde, with emerald green eyes and wavy shoulder length hair, and wore a field jacket over the top of her uniform, which was dusty at the bottom.

It took a few seconds for him to realise who the holodeck character was.

Ukinix: ::Surprised, cheery tone:: Commander Blake!

He placed his hands behind his back.

HoloBlake: Response

Ukinix: Oh, ummm… ::hand on chest:: G’day, I’m Lieutenant Wil Ukinix, and-

HoloBlake: Response

Ukinix: From the USS Veritas.  ::Squinting eyes:: Captain Rahman…

HoloBlake: Response

Tags/TBC!

(OOC: Big thank you to Sophie, Brian, Rich and Toto for contributing to this sim!)

Lieutenant Wil Ukinix
Assistant Chief Engineer
USS Veritas
V239511WU0