JP Stacey, Astrad & Keehani Ukinix, Vaxa Ral - Renuionogram (Part 2)

Danny Lee

Sep 5, 2019, 11:33:52 PM9/5/19
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Holodeck 4, “Millennium Holosuite” - Fremantle, Australia, Earth - Stardate 239608.22))

Astrad crossed his arms and turned sideways, admiring the view while letting out a huge sigh.

Astrad: What is it you need from me.

Keehani: From your wife, Hayley.  Grandmother’s neural disorder means that it will be difficult to convince an Adjudicator that she should have her title restored as the matriarch of the Ninth house.

Astrad turned to look at Keehani.

Keehani: Grandmother can be represented by a nominated Advocate, provided they have genuine nobility.  Even though your wife Hayley is Grandmother’s sister in law, she does not fit that legal criteria.

S Ukinix: Why is that?

Astrad: Because I was stripped of my title by my parents.  I am no longer noble, I have no claim to the Ninth House.

S Ukinix: (slowly) No, I suppose not

Keehani: Which by extension makes Hayley ineligible.  However, that criteria conflicts with Federation law.  It has never been tested.  If we succeed, from there we can challenge the other houses in a Reconciliation Forum to restore control to Grandmother.  She *is* still the matriarch of the house, but in forced exile.  And… (To Stacey) We… would ask that both you and Wil appear at the Reconciliation Forum.  Starfleet officers participating in the Forum on our behalf would help our case.

Well, that was certainly a red flag. Stacey held back her initial and immediate rejection, and gave herself a few moments to think before she spoke.

S Ukinix: Two things. First, Wil is an independent officer of the Federation Starfleet. I’m not his CO, nor would I put him or myself in that position. If you want his help, you’ll need to ask him.

Keehani: I have sent him a message, but he has not yet responded.

Astrad: He is in the Shoals.  It can take a long time for him to receive messages.

Keehani nodded, and breathed a small sigh of relief.  It explained to her why he hadn’t responded straight away.

S Ukinix: Yes, so, second: I’m not comfortable being asked to do this as an officer. Are you asking me as a Starfleet officer?

Astrad: Or Wil?

Keehani: No!  No, this would not be a Starfleet matter-

S Ukinix: I mean to say, as any officer who might be sympathetic to your cause?

And there it was.  Keehani gave an ironic smile, before looking away.

Keehani: (Staring ahead) It’s no secret I’m a member of the Guardians of Betazed, if *that’s* what you’re referring to, Commander Ukinix.  I am not the only young person on Betazed that is.  (Looking at Stacey)  But what we ask of you has nothing to do with that.  This is about (placing hand on Vaxa’s shoulder) restoring dignity, and taking back what is rightfully grandmother’s.

Vaxa: (To Stacey) I do not agree with Keehani and that - group.  We were raised to be a proud member planet of the Federation.

Astrad: Yes, we were.

Stacey frowned. Again, she gave herself a moment to think before she responded.

S Ukinix: I would be more comfortable if you were coming to me as family. But why do you think having me there as an officer would help?

Keehani: Commander, Stacey, if I may call you that.  In a Forum, everyone must wear a simple gown.  The only exceptions are people who wear a uniform, such as Starfleet officers.  They are held in high regard by Adjudicators.  Having Starfleet officers appearing that are related to a noble will provide an advantage for us.

Vaxa: (Sounding tired) Sarah, we *are* asking you as family.  (Looking at Astrad) And your father-in-law, as well as her wife… I am sorry, I grow tired, I do not remember her name.

Astrad/Keehani: Hayley.

Vaxa: (Nodding) Hayley.  Terrans have such strange names.

Keehani placed her hand on top of Vaxa’s.

There were several moments of awkward silence.  Astrad gave Stacey a searching look, to see what she thought.  Holographic communication meant that he couldn’t sense Keehani or Vaxa’s emotions, nor be able to tell if Keehani and Vaxa were communicating with each other telepathically.

Astrad finally spoke up to break the silence.

Astrad: (To Vaxa) Well, I have some good news for you, sister.  Although Hayley couldn’t be here today, she has (sighing) already decided to help you.  (Crossing arms) Whether I agreed to it or not.  She feels that (looking down) it is well past time that she met my family.

A small smile appeared on Vaxa’s face.

Vaxa: (Cheekily) That is a fine matriarch that has chosen to marry you then, Astradem.

Astrad pursed his lips trying not to smile, before he looked away.  Hayley explicitly told him when they began their relationship that no-one was in charge.  They were equal, and would work and make decisions together.  For the most part of their marriage, that was right.  But there were times...

S Ukinix: (primly) Yes. She is.

Keehani: How about you, Commander?  If Hayley is ruled as eligible and we appear before a forum, could you appear as a character witness?

Stacey took her time before she responded. If it were only a question of family, of course she would. But it wasn’t that simple, was it? She needed to weigh her position, and what effect she might have on these politics.

S Ukinix: Tentatively … yes. I’ll do what I can.

Vaxa smiled.  Keehani let out a sigh of relief, and leant her head against her grandmother's shoulder.

Vaxa:  (To Stacey) And it seems you have also become a suitable Ukinix matriarch, young Sally.

Keehani: “Stacey”, grandmother.  (To Stacey) Thank you, Commander.

S Ukinix: I’ll have to share this request with my superiors. If they advise me against going ahead, then I may have to reconsider. But (beat) I don’t see why they would.

Keehani: (Nodding) I understand.  (Swallowing) And… there is something that may complicate all of this.

Astrad: I’m sure there are many things!  (Pointing back and forth between him and Stacey) We do not intend to be one of them.

S Ukinix: (with a nod) Noted.

Keehani: (Looking at Astrad) Project “Blue”.  The water and nutrient containment project that the Ninth House was working on.  (Nodding) They know about it.

S Ukinix: Ah.

Stacey glanced over to Astrad to see how he was taking this news.

A wave of fear rolled over Astrad. He knew exactly what Keehani was talking about.

Astrad: (Swallowing) What about it.

Keehani: The people that have been appointed to administer the Ninth House since grandmother's exile have performed detailed audits on everything, in preparation for dissolving the house.  It’s taken them a decade to investigate, but they know you stole the prototypes.  They have kept their findings a secret - for now - but they know.

Astrad: If it’s secret, how do you know?

Keehani: I have my sources.  I’m told they are preparing to lodge a formal complaint on behalf of the Ninth House with the Federation.  It could be a criminal matter.

Astrad: That was fifty years ago-

S Ukinix: Astrad!

Slowly, Stacey shook her head. This wasn’t the time or the place, not when they’d come as far as they had.

Astrad crossed his arms.

Keehani: (Smiling) But not if the Ninth House retracts the complaint.  Which a (looking at Vaxa) matriarch would be well within her rights to do.

Vaxa: I am willing to look beyond the past, brother.  If you are.  It appears we may need each other after all.

End…. For now...

Commander Stacey Ukinix
Tactical Liaison to Tholian Relations Mission Command

Starfleet Headquarters

V238208LV0

&

Astrad Ukinix