Lt Wil Ukinix - Born to Be Alive

Danny Lee

Dec 3, 2019, 7:57:06 AM12/3/19
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Cargo Bay 1, USS Diligent))

Priscilla adjusted herself on the bed as a sheet was thrown over her torso and legs.  Wil closed his eyes momentarily before opening them again.  He got on his knees and put his head under the sheet.

He then let out a short, high pitched, piercingly loud shriek.

He took his head back out from under the sheet, face drained of all colour as his cheeks expanded while he exhaled through his lips.

Ukinix: ::Blinking, coughing:: OK. ::Looking at PADD:: Well, you’re not dilated enough yet to start pushing.  But you’re having lots of pain and are quite dilated-

Just at that moment, the cavalry arrived, in the form of Doctor Addison MacKenzie.

Ukinix: Am I glad to see you. Doctor, the patient is somewhere between the ::looking at information on PADD:: Cookie and Bagel stages.

MacKenzie: ::jokingly:: Commander, was it your idea that we deliver a baby on a ship with inadequate medical facilities?

Teller: ::smiling:: Certainly not XO, but it seems like the wee baby doesn't respect the chain of command.  ::He offered the woman a handshake:: Welcome back, Lieutenant, and well done on your mission.

MacKenzie: ::leaning down to pet Baxter, smiling:: Who’s a good boy???

Ukinix: oO What’s Addy doing…? Oo

Baxter: I am. I have been told I am by multiple people.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant, mighty fine work back there. You really kept it together well!

Vanlith: ::Slowly and confused:: Thank you but urm I think there are some slightly more important matters than that here.

Priscilla: AahhhhhhoooowwwwwooooowwwaaAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Wil, with an incredulous look on his face, gestured towards Priscilla when Addison looked at him.  Upon seeing the confident smile on her face, he could not understand how she could be so relaxed and casual.  Baxter moved to sit by Addison’s side.

MacKenzie: I’m Doctor MacKenzie, it’s nice to meet you –

Priscilla: ::in between howls:: Priscilla.

MacKenzie: ::smiling and nodding:: Priscilla. You’re in good hands – we’re going to take good care of you.

He smiled a little and breathed a sigh of relief when she got her knees at the end of the bed with Wil, and met his gaze.

MacKenzie: Okay, what’ve we got, Doctor?

Ukinix: ::Chuckle:: “Doctor”.  Nice one, *Doctor*. ::Wink:: Anyway, uh… well ::looking at PADD:: I didn’t get a good look, because, you know, reasons, but Priscilla – I mean, the patient’s cervix is dilated somewhere between about 7 and 9 centimetres.  The baby’s not engaged just yet.  I don’t think.

MacKenzie: That’s great, we’re exactly where we’re supposed to be. So, what’s next?

A confused look appeared on Wil’s face.

Ukinix: Uhhh – you deliver ::blinking, looking at Addison:: … the baby, don’t you?

There were a strange mix of emotions that he could sense in Addison.  Amusement.  Some satisfaction…

Then it dawned on him what Addison might be up to.  Wil’s jaw dropped so far that a Galaxy class ship could have docked in his mouth.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant, do I recall seeing somewhere that you took the field medic course at the Academy?

Wil placed his hand on his forehead.

Ukinix: No, don’t do this.

MacKenzie: May I assume that Professor Hansen still shows the standard childbirth demo video?

((Flashback – Starfleet Academy, San Francisco Campus – Stardate 239306.15 – 0739 hours))

The tired looking young Human cadet leaned over and spoke quietly to Wil.

Hakensaaker: What time did you get back to your quarters last night?

Wil, with a throbbing headache, a churning stomach, and his forehead resting in his hand, answered with a croaky voice.

Ukinix: You don’t want to know.

The female Andorian cadet who was sitting two seats and one row away in the small auditorium leaned forward.

Thukaa: ::To Wil:: I tried to tell you.  Humans cannot handle their liquor.  Especially Andorian Ale.

Wil simply turned his head to look at her to show he was unimpressed.  She chuckled when she saw his blood shot eyes and pale looking face.

Thukaa: ::Proud grin:: It was a fun night though, boys.  How you look now made it all worth it.

The sound of everyone talking in the room died down when the Denobulan professor responsible for delivering the field medic course entered through the main door.

Hansen: Good morning everyone, ::clap of hands:: day three of the Starfleet field medic course, how wonderful to see you all.  Two more days to go, and you’ll all be signing up for the Starfleet Medical Academy.

As most of the cadets chuckled, she raised her finger as she walked towards the middle of the presentation area.

Hansen: Now, in the field, many things can happen, and so far we’ve been learning how to treat all of the ::waving hands:: nasty things that can happen to our colleagues.  But, this morning ::grin:: I have a treat.  Sometimes, miracles can happen in the field.  ::Standing, clasped hands:: The miracle of a new life being brought into the galaxy.  Now, ::smiling:: we could go to ::pointing over her shoulder:: one of the holodecks and perform an actual exercise, but we have a lot to cover over the next two days and unfortunately won’t have time.

She walked towards the console near the edge of the presentation area, while raising her finger.

Hakensaaker: ::Whispering to Wil:: That’s the last thing I need.

Hansen: So, instead we’re going to watch a video.  It’s old and two dimensional, but…  still relevant and covers childbirth of many different species.  You never know when you might need it. ::grinning::

Hakensaaker: ::Whispering to Wil:: Pfft. No, I don’t think so.

Wil crossed his arms and nodded in agreement with his fellow cadet.  When the lights died down, he felt his eyes get heavy as the Vulcan host, wearing a Starfleet uniform from what seemed like a century earlier, began talking.

Host: // Starfleet academy education resources two-three-gamma-seven-alpha-one.  Child birth.  ::Vulcan salute:: Greetings, my name is Slarvan.  For the next forty-three minutes, forty-five point two seconds, we will provide you, our Starfleet cadets, with the basic knowledge necessary should the need arise in the normal course of your duties to assist, or lead, in the delivery of a child…. //

There was one thought on Wil’s mind as his chin slowly fell forward and his eyes closed, taking him into a light slumber.

Ukinix: oO As if I’m ever going to need this. Oo

((End Flashback))

His eyes closed in disbelief, as he let out a large sigh.  He felt his face begin to blush.

Ukinix: ::To Addison, quietly:: No don’t.  Please, don’t…

He opened his eyes when Addison stood up and addressed his two engineering friends.

MacKenzie: ::to Teller and Vanlith:: We have a great opportunity here. Please find a PADD and take notes – you never know when you will find yourself in this situation, and I’m only going to do this once…

Vanlith: I urm. What?

Wil looked at Geoffrey, then opened his palms, in a “are you really going to let this happen?” kind of way.

Teller:  Sorry Wi....uh, Doctor Ukinix.  As Doctor MacKenzie is the XO and our Chief Medical Officer, she has full authority over all medical issues aboard.  Aren't you glad you beamed over?

MacKenzie: ::confidently:: Lieutenant Ukinix is going to deliver this baby!

Wil looked back at the modesty sheet, before he stared down at the PADD and spoke quietly to himself.

Ukinix: I'm never going to be able to eat a bagel ever again.

MacKenzie: See one, do one, teach one. You’ve seen one, now it’s time to do one. ::turning back to look at Vanlith and Teller:: This will be your “see one.” Next time either of you are in this situation, we’ll make sure you’re where Wil is now, so take good notes. ::back to Wil:: Not to worry, I’ll be here the whole time.

When Geoff, who was clearly enjoying himself, gave Addison a little salute, Wil shook his head.

Teller: Aye Aye, Ma'am.  Should I go open an airlock to make sure the stork can get in here?

Vanlith: ::chuckling:: Stork? I’m not sure any of us are that delusional anymore.

Ukinix: oO I dunno.  Addison’s a good candidate if she thinks I can deliver this baby. Oo

MacKenzie: Alright, Doctor. What’s next?

Ukinix: ::Nervously:: I look at this PADD, and read the instructions.

Any: Responses

Wil frantically read through what was written on the PADD, as Priscilla held on to the rails on the bed like she was about to going tobogganing in it.  Addison wove her medical tricorder over Priscilla’s stomach.  He covered his mouth, before he removed the modestly sheet.  Even though his face turned pale again, he told himself he had to concentrate.

Especially when the head started to appear.  If there was a Starfleet eyelid blinking record, Wil broke it then and there.

((Meanwhile - Outside the curtain, Cargo Bay 1, USS Diligent))

Franz paced back and forth, worried for Priscilla.  He’d been there from the start.  Arty and Priscilla had fallen in love only 10 months before (you do the maths) and had seen their relationship blossom.  As one of the leaders of the twelve, he cared for all of them – even if he didn’t always agree with them.  It was miracle enough that they got rescued, let alone that they had an actual doctor to deliver the baby.

When his son appeared from behind the makeshift curtain and gave him a reassuring nod, Franz realised that his face must have given his nerves away.

Teller: Dad, Doc MacKenzie is a pro, and Doctor Ukinix is...uh...well, I trust him.  Priscilla & the baby are in good hands.

Franz:  ::Nodding:: Good, good.  They look like fine officers.  Especially the tall red-haired one, what’s her name?

Teller:  I'll introduce you if you promise not to suggest we start making grandchildren immediately.

Franz put out his bottom lip, and nodded, before shrugging.

Franz:  No, no, not immediately. I promise I’ll say “hello” first before I suggest that to her-

Teller:  Or later on!  ::His father was still distracted, trying to look around the privacy screen, all but bouncing on his heels.::  Hey, maybe you can help me with something.  I need a full accounting of your group - names, where they boarded the Iberia, intended destination, next of kin, everything.  First step to getting these people back to their families.  Think you can handle that for me?  ::Teller offered the Padd to his father, hopeful this small chore would serve as a welcome distraction.::

Franz took the PADD, and turned towards the others, before he looked back at his son.

Franz: GJ.  ::Smiling::  It’s good to see you again.

At the sound of Priscilla crying out in pain, his son gave him a nod, before he went back behind the curtain.

((And now we cross live back to the action!))

There was another cry of pain from Priscilla, which made Wil jump.  He momentarily noticed Geoffrey returning from wherever he had gone, before looking back to concentrate on what he was doing.

MacKenzie: You’re nearly there, Doctor. Are you ready?

Ukinix: ::Exhaling through lips:: As I’ll ever be.  Do I need catching gloves or something?

MacKenzie: ::to Charlena:: Lieutenant, are you getting all this?

Vanlith:  Yes Ma’am I’ve got that down.

Teller:  Going to have to copy off your notes, Lt. Vanlith.  Had to give up my padd.

MacKenzie: ::to Charlena:: He will wish he’d paid closer attention to this exercise in the future, I’m sure. ::to Wil:: She’s just about there, Wil. Time to catch the football.

With a slightly quizzical expression, Wil put his hands out in front of his face and extended his thumbs out, before he turned his head to look at the PADD next to him on the floor.

Ukinix: ::Looking at PADD:: Wait, the baby’s not going to *actually* come out like that, is it?

Vanlith:  Aren’t you lucky I always take detailed notes then SIr.

There was one final yelp of pain from Priscilla as she gritted her teeth and pushed, before the baby was born.  Wil shuffled sideways as Addison knelt in front of the newborn.  She quietly and repeatedly issued instructions to grab different equipment from the medical kit, and Wil complied every time.  He rocked back on his heels a little as he observed Addison expertly cut and tie the umbilical cord.  It was not long after that the baby began to cry.  Softly at first, and then louder.

As much as he tried to avoid it, he couldn’t stop his eyes starting to water.  Looking at the child’s mother, he could feel her emotion.  He clenched his fist into a ball and placed it over his lips, trying to cover the big smile he had on his face.  There were cheers from people in the room.

He suddenly had to put his hands out when the baby was handed to him without warning.

MacKenzie: Congratulations, Doctor – it’s a boy! You do the honors and pass him off to his mother.

Ukinix: ::Walking carefully to Priscilla:: Oh, straight away, I know this part’s important.  ::Reaching down, handing baby to mother:: Congratulations, Priscilla.

The corner of Wil’s mouth turned up when Addison patted him on the back.

Vanlith:  Congratulations

Franz:  You see how much joy they bring, GJ?

Teller:  Good work Doctors.  Another first for the good ship Diligent.

MacKenzie: I think this is the first time I’ve ever delivered a baby and not gotten dirty…

While the others were talking, Wil looked down at his hands, and quietly shrieked.  He then proceeded to wipe his hands on the front of his uniform.  That didn’t make things any better, really.  He quietly shrieked again.

Ukinix: oO Definitely an engineer. Oo

His thought was interrupted when Addison spoke.  He didn’t exactly hear what she said, but there was only one more thing he needed.

Ukinix: ::holding up hands:: Um – can someone organise to beam me back to the ‘Tas?  Preferably straight to my quarters?

A happy robot doggy barked and wagged his tail.  Addison gave him a pat on the head.

MacKenzie: Such a good boy!

As Addison left the cargo bay, Wil looked down at the PADD that was still on the ground, before calling out to her.

Ukinix: Wait, Addison!  What about Stage 3 of labour!  We’re not done!

He closed his eyes again, and sighed, before looking back at Priscilla, Arty and bubs.

[End]

Lieutenant Wil Ukinix

Acting Chief Engineer

USS Veritas