JP: Lieutenant Jansen Orrey & Ensign Charlena Vanlith - Baby Steps (PT 1)

Jansen Orrey/Henning Hext

May 29, 2019, 11:04:27 AM5/29/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118 – USS Veritas

((Counselor’s Office, Deck 6 - USS Veritas))

::Charlena knew she needed to go and see the counsellor after everything that had happened on the Solaris. She couldn’t keep jumping at her name. But that didn’t mean she liked it. She had been to counsellors before and everytime they wanted to dig into her past. Her brother wasn’t a problem for her. It drove her to do better for him and the last thing she needed was someone else trying to tell her to not think about him.::

::With the door open she slowly entered::

Vanlith: Good afternoon Lieutenant

::Turning from where he stood at the replicator near his desk he smiled at the engineering ensign that had entered.::

Orrey: Ensign Vanlith. Just in time. Can I offer you something to drink? Or something small to eat?

Vanlith: I’m fine thank you. ::She shuffled in her place. That wasn’t something any counsellor had ever offered before. It was as if he wanted her comfortable. Normally it was the uncomfy sofa and chair arrangement that made her feel sick she was stuck with.::

Orrey: Alright, why don’t you find a place to sit and we can get started.

::Jansen enjoyed using his multiple area set up as it allowed him to start a measure of someone as soon as they got seated. It had been an interest to him of how often someone would choose a different seat compared to their mood. However it also changed dependant on each person. Some preferred the piles of pillows in one corner while others decided the two high back chairs suited them. There was always a need for the more traditional couch and chair combo while a few people felt the more proper choice of the chairs in front of his desk was where they belonged.::

::Charlena turned and saw the uncomfortable usual set up. I guess part of her thought that would be different. As she took a step towards it she noticed the pile of cushions. Now that looked comfortable. He didn’t say she had to sit on the sofa and with that she made a beeline to the cushions taking a seat. She was now comfortable and unintentionally far away from him. Although she was slightly relieved by that.::

Orrey: ::retrieving a  cup from the replicator for himself.:: So how are you doing today?

Vanlith: I’m doing ok I guess.

Orrey: Oh? How about in the last little while?

Vanlith: You mean how am I doing after Sentinel trapped me and I thought it would kill me? I’ve been better.

::Jansen moved over and sat down on one of the other cushions crossing his legs while taking a sip from his cup.::

Orrey: I can understand that. How did the things on the ship progress to that point?

Vanlith: Well everyone was looking at how to break the connection Sentinel had over the ship, and I'm not exactly comfortable with AI anyway, so I had no clue how to help with that. ::She chewed her lip nervously starting to feel a little uncomfortable.:: So I could help by making repairs so decided that was the best place for me to be.

Orrey:  So you were anxious to get to work and struck out to do what was needed.

Vanlith: Exactly. I'm not someone who will just stand around and do nothing. We were going to need shields eventually so I might as well go and sort it now. Instead of waiting until it's chaos to fix them.

Orrey: That makes quite a bit of sense really. ::Tilting his head a little:: However I don’t think that is all?

::Charlena shuffled uncomfortably unable to completely open up and express how she felt.::

Vanlith: I guess I still jump sometimes but I'm fine. ::She was blunt trying to drop the fact she wasn't entirely ok::

Orrey: I can believe that. ::He left things there for a moment, that was something he could reach back to later. Right now there was something else going on he wanted to touch on.:: But I don’t think you are being wholly honest with me.

Vanlith: I'm not hiding anything. :: She chewed the side of her finger at the knuckle. And shuffled again. She still hadn't fully come to terms with everything but she wasn't risking somehow ending up benched from it all.::

::Jansen sat his cup down to the side and looked at her for a moment. Even if he didn’t pick up on the clues in the conversation her body language was giving her away easily.::

Vanlith: What?

Orrey: You realize that I am not here to jam you up right? ::motioning between the two of them.:: This is just a chance to allow you the space you need to breath. Life itself is heavy enough, this is an environment that breeds stress. Especially for you all down in engineering. But here. Me, I’m here to help you release that stress. You can breath here and relax. ::offering a smile:: Besides if you keep chewing on your knuckles and lips you will end up going to sickbay after you leave here.

::Charlena blushed slightly embarrassed to have been so easy to read. So let her hair fall over half her face as she lowered her finger.::

Vanlith: I've dealt with enough counselors in my life to know people think I'm weak or something. I'm not about to have everyone here think that too.

Orrey: Given how well you handled the situation I am sure no one thinks you are weak or have a reason to hide things from me in our meetings.

Vanlith: I have nothing to hide. I just don't want to talk about it. I'm not some lost child who needs to find their mother. I'm just me

Orrey: Well ::smiling:: let’s talk about that then. Who are you?

::Vanlith shuffled again.::

Vanlith: oO he's not like the others were. But that doesn't mean he doesn't think it. What angle is he trying to play me from. The others just said it. It's like he actually wants to know me.Oo

---

Ensign Charlena Vanlith

Engineering Officer

USS Veritas