[E-KRM] Captain Roshanara Rahman: Savvy Shoppers and Friendly Merchants

richyulin

Mar 28, 2018, 8:06:19 AM3/28/18
to UFOP: StarBase 118 – USS Veritas
((Kreswick River Market, Esperance))

::When she'd mentioned going to the surface to find something to wear for Mei'konda and Delano's wedding, she'd thought perhaps they'd stick to Adelaide, Esperance's largest city. It seemed though Tristam had other ideas, especially after one of the locals suggested they'd be able to find "fashions nowhere else" at the end of the line in Kreswick's famed River Market.::

::In this case, it wasn't an exaggeration. Kreswick was the final stop on the train out of the city before Sovereign Straight, a mining enclave, and yet in this charming little town, the locals had managed to build a destination worth the commute. As Roshanara and Tristam walked through the crowded market, around them could be heard the sounds of merchants yelling loudly over ever intense negotiations with savvy customers and the enthusiastic racket of street chefs clanging their cookware -- as if to show with absolute certainty to onlookers and potential customers that they weren't getting any help from a replicator.::

Core: You know, I'm not very picky, but, ::he held up a metallic silver jumpsuit.:: I don't think anyone would go as Mr. Roboto.

::Roshanara looked up from the stacks of clothing she'd been checking to see Tristam holding up the silver suit. She smiled sweetly.::

Rahman: I don't know about that. You look good in shiny.

::Apparently, Roshanara's sarcasm was too subtle and her face too serious -- or perhaps he'd even been able to detect the sliver of intrigue now slipping into her mind as she looked over that jumpsuit more closely, for he quickly replied with a deadpan expression.::

Core: I'm just teasing.

::He put the suit down and stretched his arms high above his head.::

Core: Artist, it feels like I have room to move.

Rahman: It is nice, isn't it? It's almost as if you have a wonderful partner who wants to make sure you get some actual fresh air now and then after being stuck on a small, dilapidated outpost for months.

Core: Yes yes, take your victory. ::He returned a laugh before rebuttoning one of his sleeves. As he did so, he continued to talk.:: Are Mei'konda and Delano supplying dress requirements? Is that a thing in . . . Vulcan Caitain bondings?

::As he worked on his sleeves, Roshanara went back to perusing the various articles of clothing for sale. A modest dress in sapphire tucked underneath several other dresses had caught her attention.::

Rahman: I actually haven't been to such a bonding -- nor know the details really. I mean, I've been to a Vulcan wedding, so if it's anything like that... but I don't know how traditional Commander Delano -- or Mei'konda for that matter -- is. They *did* say it was going to be "casual" for dress and outdoors.

::She looked back up at him.::

Rahman: That said, I *am* the captain, which means no matter what, I still need to look somewhat presentable.

::She raised her eyebrow as she watched him finishing up the second sleeve.::

Rahman: And since you are the captain's escort, it means you need to look absolutely presentable. oO Can't have people feeling sorry for the captain. Oo

::She smirked, figuring there was a 50/50 he'd "hear" that.::

Rahman: What do you think of this?

::She took the blue dress and held it over herself with both hands, letting it unfold down to the ground before laying it against herself.::

::He blinked, biting his lower lip as he peered back at her with his all-black eyes, seemingly studying the dress as intently as he had the engineering equipment back on Outpost 3. Finally, he made his judgment.::

Core: I think you're a beauty in nothing and everything, ervami.

::She rolled her eyes.::

Rahman: Believe it or not, it's okay to have an opinion.

::She looked back amused.::

Rahman: And if I don't like it, I'll just send you back to that outpost.

Core: Response

Rahman: Oh, I'd charter a shuttle for you. I am not without mercy.

Core: Response

::She chuckled as she put down the dress back on the stack of other dresses before a merchant came running up.::

Merchant: Yes, you need help?

::Roshanara looked back at Tristam, curious.::

Rahman: Did we?

Core: Response

::The merchant, an older woman who appeared to be human or one of the countless species that looked human, spoke with a distinct accent in her Federation Standard that was common in this region, particularly from those who'd immigrated to Esperance from Ketar V.::

::She imitated Tristam's earlier stretching.::

Merchant: I see he raise his arms up high, like floundering child, so I come here to help.

::Roshanara did her best to suppress a snort -- unsuccessfully.::

Core: Response

Rahman: Yes, that happens occasionally.

::The other woman caught sight of what Tristam had been looking at earlier.::

Merchant: Oh, you like the suit? Brand new from Bynaus. Make you look sharp.

::She smiled with a wide, friendly grin.::

Core: Response

::She looked back at Roshanara, still smiling.::

Merchant: He is cute. Like cat. I see why you like him.

::The Kriosian looked over at the woman and exchanged nods.::

Rahman: Yes, quite. But you know what they say about feeding strays...

Core: Response

Merchant: I sell to you half-price. Won't find a better deal along the river, trust me. Madame Kasha looking out for you. ::She turned back to Roshanara.:: And you, too. ::She gestured to the sapphire dress lying on top of the other garments.:: You like?

Rahman: Oh, I was just checking out the color.

Core: Response

TAG! TBC…

Captain Roshanara Rahman
Commanding Officer, USS Veritas