[EPILOGUE] Capt. Roshanara Rahman and Gov. Carolyn Blackhurst: The Lesson (Part 1)

Cameron O.

Sep 18, 2017, 11:48:40 AM9/18/17
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

//Captain’s Log, Stardate 239409.18

While we may not have Jilor, we do have a number of his men. A small squadron of Colonial Coalition Marshal cutters have joined us to supplement Antor II’s defenses and confiscate the captured Kos’karii vessels. The pirates being treated in sickbay have been arrested and are likewise being transferred to the Marshals. While in the wake of such death and destruction, it may not seem like much, I can’t help but feel we have made significant steps towards capturing the pirate king himself and bringing him to justice.

Following the unexpected interruption, Governor Blackhurst was able to go on with her speech to Antor and the rest of the Colonial Coalition from Veritas. I’m not a political analyst, but it seemed the press and others in attendance were pleased with what she had to say.

For now, we remain in orbit of Antor, continuing to offer our assistance to its people and the governor’s staff. I have asked the Governor to join me before she returns to the surface.//

((Ready Room, USS Veritas - Later that evening))

::It was so peaceful now. A quiet ballet of starships moving about in front of the dark orb of Antor II in the background, now cast in shadow, the lights of its domed cities twinkling like stars of their own against the rest of the night sky.::

::Through the small window from her ready room, Roshanara could see one of the Kos’karii ships was in a tractor beam being slowly towed by a Marshals cutter to one of the orbital docks. The door chimed and when they parted, she could see the governor’s reflection in the window. The captain turned around.::

Rahman: Governor, thank you for coming.

Blackhurst: Of course, Captain.

Rahman: It was a lovely speech.

Blackhurst: I think our people needed to hear that things would be all right. I just hope that I’m not lying to them. There’s a long road in front of us.

::Roshanara stepped around her desk to say her farewell.::

Rahman: I won’t keep you. I know you have a busy schedule ahead.

Blackhurst: I was hoping to get some rest, but I don’t think that’s going to happen soon.

:: The governor looked better than she had, but the events of the last few days had taken their toll. ::

Rahman: I wanted again to reiterate Starfleet’s commitment to your people and the Colonial Coalition. Whatever assistance we can provide to your own efforts here, please just let me know.

Blackhurst: I appreciate that, Captain. Medical and repair supplies will be the biggest need right away. I understand your own resources are stretched quite thin in that area, but perhaps Starfleet can send some kind of relief mission.

Rahman: Of course. I will make the requests and recommendations in my report.

Blackhurst: Thank you. I’ll send a formal request myself. When I have the time.

::The captain nodded with a small smile. She felt she understood what lay ahead for both of them.::

Rahman: Well, I’ll leave you to it then, Governor.

:: Blackhurst gave a nod of her own, and turned towards the door. She took one step, then stopped and turned back. ::

Blackhurst: Has their been any word on this Jilor?

::Roshanara shook her head. She wasn’t surprised the governor was curious knowing more about him.::

Rahman: No personal response from him or the Kos’karii yet, but I’m sure we’ll be getting one. At the very least, now that we have three of his lieutenants, that should provide us with some solid intelligence. I’ll of course keep you and your staff informed of any developments.

Blackhurst: None of my people understand the connection between the Kos’karii and the Antorans who participated in these attacks at this point. Not fully. I think there’s a good chance that more of Jilor’s people are on the surface. Or at least more sympathizers.

::The captain nodded grimly in return.::

Rahman: It is a daunting task to be sure to remain vigilant against this kind of violence.

Blackhurst: Vigilance. That’s something the entire coalition will need to keep in mind now.

===

Captain Roshanara Rahman

CO, USS Veritas

I238705TZ0