[BR] LtCmdr Sky Blake, "Pre-planners."

Deliera Jay

Jan 15, 2018, 9:03:06 AM1/15/18
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Bridge))

Blake: What are the armaments and shielding of the Astraeus?

Delano: That’s hard to say. By the specs, the refit should have Astraeus able to stand toe-to-toe with most ships in the fleet. But that’s assuming all the tactical systems are fully installed and operational.

Mei’konda: Extensively upgraaded.  Fourteen type twelve phaser arrays, rapid fire quantum torpedo launchers, regenerative shiielding.  Commander Delano is correct, however.  Not all of them may be online.

::The last time the Veritas had engaged in a firefight next to a Starfleet vessel, it had been with the Montreal a few years ago - but the Montreal was not only more maneuverable than the Astraeus, but it was also about a third of the size of the Galaxy class monster that awaited them. Not only that, it had been able to drop in and out of warp whilst chasing the Hisaal's stolen Cygnian attack vessels.

::It was jumping the gun before they even knew what they were heading into, but they could *possibly* send out a call for help to Esperance, but the chances that they'd have the resources to respond were low, if not non-existent. It probably didn't help that the annex commander was aboard the Veritas currently looking after her toddler.

::Worst case scenario, an SOS to the ships who could get there quickest (Taskforce 5 in the Menthar Corridor, the Constitution-B docked at Starbase 104) might prove handy, but they'd all be banked due to their size. But that was worst case scenario.

::They weren't *in* worst case scenario. With any luck, they wouldn't be.::

Bridge: Response?

Blake: The Astraeus is almost twice the size of the Veritas and about three times heavier - even with their armament, they're at a disadvantage against the ships of this region. If they lose their shields or fail to get them up in time, they may be boarded - problematic if they're just a skeleton crew.

::Which was rather optimistic language on Sky's part, given that she'd decided against questioning whether Commander Yeager himself was truly fit to command a vessel in combat, let alone handle his ship being boarded at the same time.::

Delano: Is there any way to push the warp speed limit? Sounds like the sooner we can reach the Astraeus the better off we’ll all be.

::Sky sucked in a sharp breath.::

Blake: I'm obligated to remind the Bridge that the restriction for all vessels is warp five - warp six on the Mother Road. If the Veritas above those speeds, we violate travel laws.

Bridge: Response?

::Blake bit her lip, finger twirling the ring around her thumb. As much as she would have preferred keeping their current speed - where it was lawful and unlikely to cause the Veritas to stall - it wasn't just Yeager on the Astraeus. It was his crew as well - his crew, whom may have been manipulated into doing exactly what he'd wanted.

::But find a loophole? Maybe. She hadn't written these rules - was by no means as well versed in them as Carrero or Zhou. She could quote the most obvious three in her sleep, sure, but to know the bylines, specific paragraphs and do a legal officer's work in "finding loopholes" was a considerably bigger ask for the Ranger - and while Blake was a stickler for details and protocol, she wasn't a lawyer.

::It may have been a bigger ask, but it was a necessary one when the crew of the Astraeus may be in the line of fire.::

Blake: . . . I'll come up with something.

::Surely there was something somewhere that said "in an emergency of suchandsuch circumstances, this limit can be raised by 'this amount of notches'". Once all this was done and they had to report back to Starfleet and the Marshals, she'll have hopefully found it.

::Regardless, for a transgression like this one, the FO and Ops officers were about to be roped into babysitting duties for around a month.::

Delano: So long as we don’t end up ‘grounded’ ourselves, it might be worth the risk.

Mei’konda: I’d like to explore the option.  Ensign T’Venna, look into it.  See if there’s any way we can push up to even warp five point one for the next hour.

T’Venna: Response

Wolfe/Tuk: Responses

Mei’konda: Search and rescue will be reaady to go.  Lieutenant Tuk, you may need to supplement them with your security teaams, so haave them prepare, please.

Delano/Wolfe/Tuk/T'Venna: Response?

Mei’konda: Ensiign Wolfe, I would like you working on penetraating these sensor ghosts with Commander Delano.  I want to be able to track those readings reliiably, no matter what they are.

Delano/Wolfe: Responses

Mei’konda: Commander Blake, I want you on standby to assist security or SAR teams if we need to send them over to the Astraeus.

Blake: Given the ample time to prepare, we should be ready when needed.

Mei’konda: Good.  If any of you haave problems or need resources, let Commander Delano or myself know.  Let's maake sure we're ready for anythiing by the time we arriive.

::She gave a nod.::

Blake: I'll be with Kelrod.

::And with that, Blake left the Bridge.::

Tbc . . .

LtCmdr Sky Blake
Ranger
USS Veritas