JP Lieutenant Commanders Lael Rosek & Chythar Skyfire: Long Distance Date Night, Part I

Timothy Alentonis

Jul 13, 2020, 11:43:57 PM7/13/20
to Veritas IC
((Subspace Call))
(( Skyfire’s Quarters, USS Veritas & Temporary Quarters, Transport Raven ))
{{Time Index: Stardate 239707.12}}

Chythar sat down at his desk with his sweet & sour pork, then tapped on the display with the non-business end of his chopsticks to initiate the display. Greeting him was the smiling face of his former colleague, Lael Rosek -- the object of his most recent research project over the course of the last… however long ago it was since the U.S.S. Astraeus got stranded in the Shoals. As he waited for the lag time to dispel, he took that moment to pop a piece of pineapple into his mouth.

Skyfire: Hi, Lael! How have you been?

It had taken her forever for her to program the call. She’d been damned glad when she’d finally gotten out of the Shoals. The inability to make video calls had irritated her endlessly. Unfortunately, that was exactly where Chythar was at the moment, which meant she needed to find a unique way to boost the signal and cut through the interference. Finally, she’d managed it.

Maddy sat nearby with a book and her dinner while Lael sat in front of the monitor with her own. This was the closest she and Chythar were likely to get to date night for a good while. They’d both known going into this that, given their current situation, it would likely mean long-distance dating for a while with only brief meet-ups between. They’d been fighting this for half a decade and both of them having careers with Starfleet meant the timing would likely never be perfect.

The moment his face came onto the screen, her expression brightened and the weight that she’d carried on her shoulders since her days as first officer suddenly felt lighter.

Rosek: ::softly:: Hey. ::smiles:: Surprisingly, the trip hasn’t been half bad. The transport is supposed to make a stop at a station before we enter the Par’tha Expanse, so Maddy and I might stretch our legs for a few and grab a bite before we get moving again. ::pauses:: What about you? How’re things on the Veritas?

He finished chewing on the slice of pineapple in his mouth and smiled softly at her. When he saw Maddy glance at the screen, he waved to his niece before he spoke.

Skyfire: So I did a thing while you were getting out to your new posting. Transmitting it to you now.

He tapped on the display again with the non-business end of his chopstick, since his fingers were preoccupied. Once the lag caught up to the data stream, she saw two names on the latest SFMJ article describing the hyronalin alternative, designed around her blood type and usable by other hybrids who had volunteered for testing. Attached at the end was a small file containing detailed instructions on how to synthesize it.

Skyfire: Dassa and I finally finished this.

Carefully grabbing a PADD from her nearby bag, she laid it on the desk beside the monitor and linked the two devices. She used a napkin to wipe clean her own slightly sticky fingers and then entered a series of commands to transfer the data to the PADD. Once that was done, she picked up a piece of sweet and sour pork with her own chopsticks and popped it into her mouth. She finished chewing and swallowed before returning her attention to him and spoke.

Rosek: Got it. Thanks. I’ll show it to Atlantis’s CMO when I get there. ::pauses:: Do you remember Dr. G’Renn?

He shook his head and swallowed his mouthful of coffee before speaking. He hadn’t had that much interaction with her, but did recall seeing her name in an SFMJ article at one point. The name, at the very least, sounded familiar.

Skyfire: Nope. Read an article by her once, but otherwise the name doesn’t ring any bells.

Rosek: ::brow furrows:: Oh, that’s right. She came aboard the Astraeus after you’d left I think.

Skyfire: :: blinked. :: Besides her article in 2394.321.01’s SFMJ, what about her?

Rosek: ::pulls up the Atlantis crew roster and studies it:: The current roster for the Atlantis has her as CMO there.

Skyfire: Interesting. :: Pause. :: So, that inoculation I sent over has been tested and approved for hybrids. Some of them have weird blood chemistry like yours, others are a bit more common. Like Vulcan / human hybrids, for example.

She nodded. Though she didn’t know anyone else with her allergy to hyronalin, she was glad that something he’d technically been working on just for her might help others in a similar situation. That was the wonderful thing about advances like this. More often than not, it only took a tweak or two to make it generally applicable.

Rosek: I’m glad. ::grins unamusedly:: I’ve read some of Atlantis's mission reports and God only knows what sort of things I’m going to run into out there. From what I understand, they ran into I believe cadmium poisoning a mission or two back that was making an entire population deathly sick.

The news of cadmium poisoning was grim indeed, but he still had that dusty PADD on his desk from the Yahtzee, containing Maddy’s science project on different species absorption rates of typical pain medication. He nodded slowly and had another bite of pork as he considered his words. Once he swallowed, he spoke again.

Skyfire: Poisoning is always a problematic state of affairs. I trust Atlantis has the expertise required to handle something like that and that there isn’t any additional fallout.

Rosek: ::shakes her head and chews a piece of pork thoughtfully:: From the AAR, it sounded like they wrapped things up nicely. ::pauses:: If I recall correctly, it was Dr. G’Renn who figured it out. It was a big mystery until she found traces of cadmium in someone’s bloodstream.

Chythar nodded. It sounded familiar, like something he’d done before. He recalled that he’d received several citations of the medical science ribbon, each time for doing something different medically with some sort of amazing breakthrough or result. He smiled softly and had another bite of his dinner.

Skyfire: So how is our little Maddy doing, anyway? New science project?

She shook her head. Their adopted daughter was grateful to have a couple of months’ break from schoolwork. However, Lael was encouraging her to at least complete her summer reading list. If she herself wasn’t busy with classes, she’d have been tempted to pick up a book or two. As it stood, she’d be busy with her duties, Maddy, and the final diplomacy class the Academy offered.

At her professor’s suggestion, she’d applied to be an attache for a new species in the Par’tha Expanse. She was due to get more information about what it would entail within a couple of weeks.

Rosek: Not at the moment. But she’ll be starting her new curriculum in August. ::smiles:: The program will open a lot of doors for her as she gets older. ::pauses:: Do you have any other projects lined up now that you and Dassa have finished the inoculation?

He considered that for a long moment with a swig of coffee, and took a moment to mull it over while he swished it around in his mouth. He didn’t recall having any other projects, and none of his medical buddies had asked for his help with anything, which left Devlin and the development of new coffee and tinkering with Mark’s code periodically to try and improve the good doctor.

Skyfire: Not really, no. Developing new coffee blends, and periodic upgrades to Mark. Weird to find a doctor tinkering with a hologram code, isn’t it?

Rosek: ::smiles and sips her tea:: Not really. ::smiles and laughs:: I remember at one point joking with Mark that you needed to improve his humor subroutine.

Skyfire: Yep. That’s something I’ve been trying to work on, yes. Some patients actually appreciate the sense of humor.

She rolled her eyes and shook her head, smiling affectionately. Apparently, she had a somewhat quirky sense of humor compared to most people.

Rosek: ::arches her eyebrows:: If you like dry, sure. ::smirks and teases:: You could always program him with a couple of your jokes.

Skyfire: My jokes were never particularly hilarious, but I will endeavor to make him cool like an ice cube.

A half-smile curved the corners of her lips, a softness to her eyes as she studied the man on the screen in front of her. They’d been friends for five years before stepping onto this new path and within that time, she’d come to know him well. Sure, she had her share of friends and had had her share of intimate partners over the years, but no one had ever really understood her as he did. Likewise, she’d come to understand and accept his unique quirks. They were among the many things she loved about him.

Rosek: ::softly:: You were always able to make me laugh.

Skyfire: It’s a gift, really. A doctor’s lot in life is being able to help people. Be that by jokes or their health. It’s what I do.

Rosek: ::arches an eyebrow and teases:: Oh really? ::smirks:: Here I thought some of those were just for me.

Skyfire: Only the coolest of Andorian iceberg level jokes for you, darling.

Rosek: ::laughs:: Why thank you, honey.

She stuck her tongue out at him playfully before picking up another bite of pork with her chopsticks and popping it into her mouth.

Rosek: Have you heard from your uncle recently? Or your half-sister?

TBC
---
Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek, Eng.D.
Chief Engineering Officer