[V-SIC] [Backsim] Dr. Chythar Skyfire & Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: Even If I Believe In Miracles Part I

Chythar Skyfire

Jun 3, 2018, 12:34:16 AM6/3/18
to Veritas IC
// Chief Medical Officer’s Confidential Log, 239504.09

I have received an emergency communication from Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek, who mentioned an Al-Leyan phenomenon akin to the Vulcan Pon-Farr. She has a few options, but the least pleasurable is death. That means, due to her unique hybrid physiology, I have to figure out a way to trick her body into believing everything’s fine. I may pull it off, or I may cause permanent harm. We shall see, and may I be forgiven if I accidentally break my oath in the process.

Computer, end log & restrict access to medical staff and Captain Roshanara Rahman. Authorization Skyfire theta nine seven tango delta. //

(( CMO’s Office, USS Veritas ))

:: It had been a long nine hours. He’d spent most of them cooped up in his office, reading over SFMJ articles, LCARS records on Vulcans, medical logs of past CMOs, and everything else he could think of. At last, he thought he’d found the answer. There was a single mention of a drug used to trick the Vulcan anatomy into believing there wasn’t a hormonal imbalance. Near the end of the nine hour research, he’d found the formula. All he’d have to do was adapt it to Lael’s unique body chemistry, as she was a hybrid. However, this also meant that Chythar would be in danger of violating his medical oath and inadvertently harm her while trying to help her. He exhaled slowly, crossed himself, and exited to main sickbay where he hoped to get through to the labs undisturbed. ::

((Main Sickbay, USS Veritas))

::Lael’s transport had arrived fifteen minutes ago and she’d wasted no time dropping her things off in her quarters and heading straight for Sickbay. She’d muttered an excuse to Anjar, who had reluctantly called Dassa to watch the girls while he reported for his shift. She wore the traditional Starfleet undershirt, black slacks, and black boots, her hair once again blonde and plastered to her face from the sweat she’d worked up on the journey between her pacing and the fever that was ravaging her body.::

::Dark circles had formed under her eyes from lack of sleep and her skin was paler than usual. She knew she must look like a complete wreck, but she didn’t have it in her to care.::

Rosek: ::irritated:: Chythar?

:: He could feel her anger from across the room. She was mad at something, though whether it was specifically at him or some other factor had yet to be determined. CD stood perfectly still, took a breath and subtly slipped his mental defenses back into place before making a reply. He’d only just found the solution and hadn’t had time to actually make the serum yet. ::

Skyfire: :: Yes?

Rosek: ::runs her hands through her sweat-soaked hair and sighs:: Any luck?

Skyfire: I found something. Was just on my way to make it.

Rosek: ::grunts:: Good. I’m not sure what the timeline is on this or how it differs from full-blooded Al-Leyans. Humans presumably don’t have the resilience to stand up to this...so I’m guessing it’s on the shorter side...which means I’m pushing it. I’m nearly 24 hours in to the two days.

:: He grimaced slightly at the prospect, knowing what he was about to say was probably the biggest gamble in recent memory. CD knew he was capable of miracles, but this was borderline pushing it. oO No pressure at all, Lazarus. Oo crossed through his mind as he opened his mouth. ::

Skyfire: You’re welcome to stick around, but it may take me an hour or two to customize it. I’ll need a blood sample and then I’ll get to work.

::Lael grabbed a nearby hypo and pressed it to her neck, collecting the blood with a mild wince. Once it was full, she tossed it in Chythar’s direction.::

Rosek: As far as sticking around...it may be for the best. ::grimaces:: I’m--dangerous to others right now. I’d hate to think of what will happen if I lose my temper. I’m edgy as it is.

:: He deftly caught the hypo, and contemplated a little. Violence was common amongst Vulcans, but Al-Leyans...well, he’d seen what happened when she lost her temper. He was on the mat often enough, and usually had the black eyes to show for it. Now, he wanted to avoid her wrath if he could. ::

Skyfire: Forgive me for asking, but would you prefer restraints?

::She grimaced. It wasn’t a completely unreasonable thing to ask given her confession a moment before. During their sparring sessions, there’d been moments when her tight control of her strength slipped and she threw a punch harder than she’d intended.::

::He knew the measure of her strength under restraint. Even she dreaded the thought of what she was capable of if fully unleashed. The anger that had built up inside of her these last few years made that possibility even more daunting.::

Rosek: I don’t think it’ll come to that. But feel free to tranq me up with sedatives to knock me out if you need to. ::runs a hand through her hair:: Actually, I could use the rest. Maybe just something to take the edge off. Though my system with its current metabolic rate will likely burn through them faster than usual.

:: That earned a grimace. She was normally cocky when confronted with a life or death situation. As much as Chythar detested the idea of rationing medication, this was the Shoals, and if she’d burn through the sedative faster than her normal rate of metabolism, then he was going to be using a fair dosage of their supply on her for seemingly no reason. He didn’t have time, really. ::

Skyfire: Honestly, given the circumstances I don’t think they’d have any effect. I should get to work. :: He paused for a moment and considered. Most of the staff was gone. That left only one candidate. :: Computer, activate Mark and put a protective force field around the quarantine area.

:: The Bajoran flickered to life and noticed the quarantine, then saw CD hand him a PADD with the details. After a moment or two to process the information, he nodded and decided to try out his small talk routine as Chythar vanished into the lab. ::

Mark: Hello, Commander. How goes?

::She huffed a laugh at the rather glib statement. Granted, the man was essentially a computer and needed to be programmed to respond to a given situation like a humanoid would. She wasn’t prone to bragging, but she was very, very good at her job...and even with that, she was certain she’d never be able to program him to be completely humanoid.::

Rosek: ::smiles wanly:: Not the best timing for that question, Mark.

Mark: Sorry. New protocol I was trying out. :: He paused. :: You can pick a subject.

Rosek: ::chuckles:: Well, since you’ll be my only company until Chythar figures this out. ::pauses and smirks:: Remind me when this is over to see about a humor subroutine that might make you seem a bit less...robotic.

Mark: We’ll see. Chythar doesn’t like it when people mess with my coding unless they’re showing him how to do it.

Rosek: ::smiles:: I think he could use a bit of it around here from time to time, don’t you?

Mark: Humor? That’s what Greywin was for, I thought. :: He paused again. :: I guess you could say Chythar has sort of taken me on as some sort of engineering project to make medical staff more efficient?

Rosek: ::smiles:: I’m not surprised. ::pauses:: I know we’re limited with sedatives, but I don’t suppose you could give me just enough to take the edge off? I haven’t slept in two days and it’s starting to wear on me. I need my strength to fight this off while Chythar is fixing up his concoction, right?

:: The hologram was silent for a long moment as though considering the notes from the PADD he was handed and considering her current circumstances. While she made a valid point, he didn’t know that it would help. ::

Mark: I could try, I suppose. Not sure how well it’d work.

===

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek, Eng.D.
Engineering Officer
USS Veritas NCC-95035