Aagan Eislas & LtCmdr Blake, "Of Sons and Daughters." (Part 1)

Deliera Jay

Feb 13, 2019, 8:24:13 PM2/13/19
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Ohmallera, Betazed))

::By all accounts, the encounter between Sky Blake and Aagan Eislas in 2388 had been nothing but a passing fling. The USS Ronin had been called to a Camarian ceremony to witness the solar eruption of their sun - the Prominence of Peace, as they’d called it. From what Blake understood, Eislas had shown up to the event as Betazoid representation, a diplomat and an ice breaker to knock elbows with the Cardassians (with whom things had been . . . tense). According to mission reports, she’d been posted as a security officer at the event, and Eislas had left before the eruption and subsequent disaster occurred.::

::That they’d met, and engaged in other recreational activities, made sense - at least, it did to her. Zhou had suggested to her that she had a type (tall, dark, and handsome) and Eislas fit into those categories pretty well.

::What she didn’t understand was why she’d made the decision to not inform him of her pregnancy. There was no excuse of amnesia for her back then - Skyleena Blake would have been able to put the dots together with no problem. And so she continued to question the reasons. The Twentieth House of Betazed was not generally as politically based as the other houses, by virtue of not technically being of royal blood. The house was established in the 22nd century in commemoration of one person’s efforts establishing colonies away from the Betazoid homeworld - there wouldn’t have been as serious a reason to avoid naming Eislas as Faith’s father publicly. And so far, all contact with Aagan himself had been civil. Pleasant, even. It would have had nothing to do with his character, if written word was any indication.::

::As she sat stirring a boiling malt she’d ordered from a cafe well-suited to non-telepathic tourists, she determined that she may never know the real reason she chose not to involve Aagan Eislas in Faith’s upbringing.::

Eislas:  ::wan smile::  Still drinking those chocolate concoctions, Sky?  Might I join you?

::Speak of the devil.::

::Aagan Eislas slid into the chair on the other side of the table comfortably.  His smartly cut suit was of the highest quality but he wore it like a second skin, completely in control.  His subtle smile and peaceful demeanor immediately brought to mind a senior politician or a diplomat, firmly in their element..::

Eislas:  But of course...you don’t remember, my sincere apologies.  You and I shared one of those ::indicating her cooling beverage:: when we last saw one another.

Blake: I imagine it was eventful.

Eislas:  It’s a tragedy to have lost so much but you’ve clearly managed to move on with your life and more.  My contact with the Coalition Marshalls has given me some background on your missions conducted within their sphere of influence.  You have my compliments, you and your ship have done excellent work.

::She nodded slowly, taking a hesitant mouthful of her malt. Evidently her tastes hadn't changed much either.::

Blake: We appreciate that. And thanks for the assistance, what with na-Soldim's disappearance.

::Lieutenant Kehive na-Soldim was a Starfleet ranger who had been assigned up closer to Havley’s Hope - he went missing on a survey mission for a new colony world, but Starfleet simply did not have the resources to launch a search themselves. So it had been up to the CCMS. Naturally, this had caused some tension with the locals - tension that Eislas had eased somewhat with the *kind* reminder that Starfleet couldn’t be everywhere at once.::

Blake: Unfortunately, my job isn't why we're here.

Eislas:  I’m sure this is difficult for you.  I’ll admit to no shortage of trepidation on my part as well.  Learning of our...shared legacy came as quite a shock.

Blake: I'm sorry about that. Honestly, so much had happened that her real parentage never actually came up. If I'd known sooner about you, I'd have gotten you involved earlier.

Eislas:  Of course.  Please understand, I have no intentions of interrogating you and bear you no ill will.  As we discussed, I’ve made contact with several trusted colleagues within Federation and Betazed Immigration, and have quietly discussed the matter with senior legal resources I have at my disposal.  I’m confident that, given enough time, the young woman can be successfully repatriated to Betazed and her citizenship can be affirmed.

::Hearing the words in person for the first time lifted a weight off her shoulders, one that had been sitting there for the years since she left the Delos system. She’d managed to bring Ayden back to her, with no issues, but Faith? Her leaving had been a bureaucratic nightmare.

::But Brekkians do not give that which had not been paid for. She wasn’t sure how things worked here on Betazed, but part of her could not honestly believe Aagan was doing this without an expectation of some kind.::

Blake: I have no idea how I can repay you for all this.

Eislas:  That’s not necessary.  If anything, I feel it’s the very least I can do in this difficult situation.  I have already set the wheels in motion, so to speak. Will that be satisfactory?

Blake: It’s been more than satisfactory. Anything you can do, I’ll be eternally grateful.

Eislas:  Excellent.  I will continue to pursue the matter and, in the event I’m called away again on business, my representatives will have clear instructions and an understanding that this is of the greatest importance and highest delicacy.    If I might ask, have you made any decisions regarding what you’ll do...afterwards?

Blake: If she’s only to be a Betazed citizen, I can’t take her with me on Veritas - it’s a Federation vessel. As much as my captain would allow me, I’m not convinced she’d have permanent sway about this. ::She sighed.:: Her guardians are my brother and sister in law. This was only meant to be temporary for them, so I’d have to . . . I don’t know. I’ll get to that bridge when we cross it.

Eislas:  My family has formal relationships with several fine schools here on Betazed and in the Federation at large, so her education would not be a concern.  That issue, though, was not foremost on my mind.

Blake: That’s assuming I find guardians for her. Worst case scenario, I retire from Starfleet and move to Betazed permanently. That’d be a . . . change for all of us, Ayden included. It’s a very complicated balancing act.

Eislas:  The young woman has already been through quite a lot, and this change, when it comes, will again disrupt her life substantially.  I’ll admit that I’ve got no experience as a parent, but I would think the poor girl could use some stability in her life, along with a relationship with you.

Blake: I agree.

Eislas:  In my profession, I’ve learned never to present a challenge without also presenting a potential solution.  If you’d be willing to hear me out?

::She rose an eyebrow.::

Blake: What do you have in mind?

Tbc . . .

Aagan Eislas