[M] Lord Jilor: “Providence or Deception”

Cameron O.

Jan 9, 2018, 3:58:21 PM1/9/18
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
(( Two hours from the Astraeus. ))
(( Bridge, Mas-to-Gal ))

:: As the intercepted communication between Veritas and Astraeus ended, Jilor’s first thought was that Starfleet had put together some kind of trap for him. After the attack on Antor II and the failed attempt to destroy Veritas in the aftermath, Jilor had expected some kind of direct retaliatory measure against him. But nothing of note had come of it. Not from Starfleet anyway. ::

:: Now, this opportunity seemed too good to be true. What kind of fool would even consider taking such a behemoth into the Shoals? As far as he knew, such a tactical error hadn’t been committed in the Shoals since USS Denali managed to lure a Dominion Battleship into the region at the height of the war. ::

::  The Vorta in command of that ship had at least lacked knowledge of just how dangerous the Shoals could be to large ships. This Yeager would have no such excuse. That meant the man was either a fool, or the very presence of such a ship was some kind of lure. It was particularly suspicious that his ship had just happened to be close enough to intercept the Astraeus before any help would arrive. ::

:: Providence, or deception? Jilor had only a short time to make a decision. ::

Jilor: Report.

Ekruss: The escorts we deployed confirm that the ship is of the appropriate mass for a Galaxy-class Federation starship.

:: His youngest daughter looked up from her operations station near the side of the bridge. ::
Ekruss: This is no illusion.

Jilor: Hmmm…

:: He folded his hands together and leaned forward, peering into the viewscreen as if it would reveal some detail of the situation that he had missed. Memories of the battle that had led to his exile played across the surface of his mind, but he paid them no heed. Would the Federation be willing to sacrifice a real starship just to capture him. His ego said yes, but the tactician that lived within his skull said no. ::

Jilor: Is there any evidence that this is some kind of trap.

Ekruss: If so, it’s a poorly constructed one. The ship is operating with a small crew, a limited armament, and . It’s vulnerable.

:: The ship itself would be worthless to him, of course, but the weapons at technology it contained could be used to outfit half a dozen of his strongest ships. With the weapons they’d salvaged through the shoals, and the cloaking devices they’d acquired from the Ferengi merchant they’d been working with, his fleet could become a true force to be reckoned with in the Shoals. ::

Jilor: Very well. If this fool is in such a hurry to die, then perhaps it's a good day for it. Prepare raiding parties and order the escorts to move into position.

Ekruss: Yes, my Lord.

Jilor: Helm, alter course to intercept the Astraeus. Get everything you can out of those engines. :: to Eskruss :: We’ll maintain the cloak until we’re in weapons rage, then throw everything we have at them.

Jilor: And send word to the rest of our fleet to join us as quickly as possible.

Ekruss: It will be done.

:: The first wave would be a quick strike, intended to take what was possible and to weaken the Astreaus before Veritas could arrive. His ships would be ready to recloak and slip back into the tetryon fields at a moments notice. The real strike would come once the rest of the fleet arrived. And, if fortune truly was sliming on the Kos’karii, Jilor intended to destroy both vessels before this confrontation was over.

Jilor: Battle stations.

===
Lord Jilor
Pirate King