[BACKSIMM][A-PQ] Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek & Aldek Desai: The Love of A Father, Part I

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek

May 25, 2018, 1:04:08 AM5/25/18
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Private Quarters, Transport Antioch))

{{The morning after Brell’s promotion party…}}

::Since Anjar wasn’t on shift until later that afternoon, he’d volunteered to bring both girls back on a later transport. That left Lael free to get her affairs in order without pestering or questions. Though she was confident that Chythar would be able to find a solution, she felt it prudent to update both her will and her advanced care directive to reflect the recent changes in her life.::

::She’d also made sure that the paperwork of Maddy’s trust was in order. If anything were to happen to her, any financial holdings in her name would automatically be placed in a trust for the girl, which she would have access to when she turned 21. Lael had named Dassa as trustee, knowing that the older woman would have Maddy’s best interests at heart.::

::Naming guardians for Maddy in the event that Lael passed before Maddy turned 18 had been more difficult than she’d expected. At first, she’d thought of Chythar and Alex. Maddy had a deep connection with Chythar and was becoming closer and closer with Alex. But the two men weren’t anywhere near ready to raise a child. They were both still finding their bearings with their relationship and their careers.::

::Then she’d considered Tobian and Dassa. Dassa was already so wonderful with Maddy and her medical knowledge meant that Maddy’s health would always be a priority. On top of which Lael deeply respected the woman. But Tobian...if something did happen while Dassa and Tobian’s baby was still so young, would it be too much of a burden on the new parents to raise another child who was likely to become difficult in the face of losing yet another person she cared about?::

::Lael sighed, but was interrupted from her internal debate by an alert indicating a new message in her inbox. When she opened it, her brow furrowed.::

//

To: Lael Elizabeth Rosek

From: Kecia LaMarra, Esq.

Dear Ms. Rosek,

I hope this finds you well. As you requested, I began preparation of the documents to sell your residence on Leya-I with the funds to be placed in your ward’s trust in the event of your passing. However, while researching estate laws on your homeworld, I spoke with officials who stated there was no record a Lael Rosek owning a residence.

I attempted to obtain further information, but they insisted that, for the protection of their citizens, they couldn’t offer any assistance without more details. I believe you had stated that this residence was gifted to you by your father. Perhaps he will be more able to assist you in this matter.

Once this difficulty is resolved, we can move forward with the process. I wish you the best of luck and will look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Sincerely,

Kecia LaMarra, Esq.

Attorney at Law

LaMarra & Oldaker Law Offices

//

::She grimaced. The timing on this really was awful. She was very close to being back in Shoals space and would be prevented from making any direct calls due to the interference. With a sigh, she entered a series of commands into the console that would connect her directly with her father. If she didn’t resolve this now, she had no idea when she’d next be in a position for a call. Within moments, her father’s face appeared on the screen, a grin crossing his lips as their gazes locked.::

Desai: ::in Esperanto:: Daughter. I wasn’t expecting to hear from you.

Rosek: ::smiles wanly:: ::in Esperanto:: Hey, dad. How’s it going?

Desai: ::smiles:: ::in Esperanto:: All is well. It would seem we’re finally making progress with the negotiations. ::pauses:: I thought the region your vessel was in didn’t allow for live calls.

Rosek: ::blushes:: Ah...well...I was invited to a promotion slash awards ceremony for a group of colleagues aboard the Atlantis.

Desai: ::arches an eyebrow and grins knowingly:: Oh? Isn’t the Atlantis the ship Toryn serves on?

Rosek: ::blush intensifies:: Yes. Um...we talked some. And we danced.

Desai: ::beams:: I’m pleased to hear that. Did you enjoy your time together?

::She sombered, her gaze dropping momentarily to her hands before again rising to meet his.::

Rosek: Parts, yes. ::pauses:: The consequences of mating with an outsider are more serious than you let on.

Desai: ::smile fades and nods:: Yes.

Rosek: Then why were you trying so hard to push Toryn and I together? I’m only half Al-Leyan. He could be exiled if the Council found out.

Desai: ::sighs:: You’re my daughter, Lael. Half Human or not, that doesn’t change the fact that I love you and I only want the best for you. ::pauses:: Despite his past difficulties--perhaps even because of them--I know he would treat you well. He’s a good man, Lael, and deserves so much more than the trials he’s endured.

::Her brow furrowed as she studied the man before her. This was the same man who had a scant couple of months ago encouraged her to get to know another man intimately despite the fact that she was already in a serious relationship with someone else. Almost as though reading her mind, a wane smile crossed his lips.::

Desai: He reminds me a lot of myself as a young man. ::pauses:: I was brazen...foolish. Your mother-- ::smiles nostalgically:: It was forbidden. A better man would have walked away. A better man would have followed the ways of the Branch. But I was besotted with her. Everything about her had me second-guessing all that I knew of the ways. ::pauses:: He’s struggling to find his place in a larger universe. It’s precisely why its so rare that our kind pursues a career off-world. The temptations are great even for the strongest of us.

Rosek: ::frowns:: You and mom--how did you keep the Council from finding out?

Desai: ::chuckles:: That would be your mother’s doing. I was ready to accept exile if it meant I would spend the remainder of my days with her by my side.

::Lael sucked in a sharp breath, tears prickling the corners of her eyes, a tightness enveloping her chest. The admission only made her love her father more. She’d always thought her perseverance came from her mother. Had she gotten it from him, too? In that moment, her entire view changed. She’d always felt abandoned...like a burden. Could there have been more between her parents than a one-night stand?::

::She reflected back on her first conversation with Toryn as well as the stolen moments at the party, a painful longing filling her heart. It had been the ultimate disappointment when the fantasies she’d cultivated of what the chemistry between them could have led to had been burned to ashes with a single look from Rune Jolara.::

::A wry grin crossed her features. She and Toryn were the epitome of star-crossed, kept apart by a single choice...a choice that had the potential to strip Toryn of everything he knew. He’d been through so much already...had suffered two Attitude Adjustment therapies. The thought of him having endured all of that pain for nothing made her nauseous.::

Desai: ::brow furrows:: You look distressed. Did something happen?

---

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek, Eng.D.

Engineering Officer

USS Veritas NCC-95035