[V-SO PR] Lieutenants Lael Rosek & Chythar Skyfire: Shooting Practice Part II

Chythar Skyfire

Sep 28, 2017, 8:00:18 PM9/28/17
to Veritas IC
((Phaser Range, USS Veritas))

:: He nodded slightly and leaned back against the wall. Chythar hated the idea of even wielding a phaser…mostly because weapons weren’t his cup of tea. ::

Rosek: I don't suppose Dassa ever convinced you to at least carry a knife or something? I know you hate weapons, but when someone else is depending on you to watch their back in a fight...in my opinion, it's selfish to let them risk their neck for you, but you aren't willing to do the same for them. If they get killed because you wouldn't cover them…

Skyfire: :: sighing :: It’s not that ah wouldnae cover them.

:: It was true, the last time he got into a firefight he nearly broke his wrist because he forgot how to punch. Now, hearing about his lack of weapons from everyone he talked to was just getting on his nerves. His nightmares about his lack of weapons, the choices Lael made in their shared nightmare...it all came back to haunt him. He hated weapons. ::

Skyfire: What do yeh want tae hear?

::She set the phaser and the PADD aside and hugged him tightly for a moment before pulling back and looking him in the eye.::

Rosek: We worry about you. Dassa, Alex and I can't always be there to look out for you and we can't guarantee that anyone else would be willing to make the choice that we would. ::grasps his chin and encourages him to meet her eyes:: You know I'd die for you in a heartbeat? That it's not something I'd even have to think about?

:: He leaned against the wall and bit back the flippant response, taking a few breaths to try and calm himself from the rising anger that was starting to build up at his best friend for having this conversation for the umpteenth time. ::

Rosek: ::lips tighten:: Don't. You're worth it, Chythar. I owe you my life dozens of times over. You were there for me when I was at my worst. When I thought I couldn't keep going. But I did. Because you told me that I could. You're worth it.

:: He gave a quiet nod, but said nothing. He didn’t trust himself to open his mouth with anything even remotely non-flippant or anger-filled. His eyes closed, and he took another breath to block out the red. ::

::She sighed and cradled his face in her hands, brushing her lips against his forehead.::

Rosek: ::murmurs:: So damned stubborn.

Skyfire: Grrr…

:: It was the only thing he could manage, but kept his eyes shut. The last thing he wanted was to lash out at her in anger. This conversation sucked every time he held it with someone. ::

::She resisted the urge to project calm, knowing from experience it would only irritate him more. Despite the obvious tension in every muscle in his body, she hugged him again, burying her face in his shoulder.::

Rosek: ~ Okay. I’ll let it go. I never get anywhere anyway. ~

:: She had a point. He did need to start carrying some sort of weapon, since he couldn’t trust anyone else to lay down their lives for him. The medical bylaws did permit use of one in a life or death situation, but that wasn’t the argument being made. He returned the embrace, his reply almost quiet. ::

Skyfire: :: in Russian :: Fine. You win.

Rosek: ::murmurs:: Don't agree unless you mean it. You can carry a weapon and know how to use it, but that's pointless unless you can follow through. I don't want the illusion of you being safe...I want you to really be safe.

:: He understood her point, full well. He just didn’t have to like it. Probably one of each: a knife and a phaser. ::

Skyfire: :: in Russian :: I’ll start carrying one. Concealed.

::Relief flooded her and she hugged him tighter, blinking back tears. The tension in her body lasted a few moments before faded.::

Rosek: ::rasps:: Thank you. You have no idea how much of a relief it is to hear you say that. Months of nightmares...

:: He was still tense, but only because he had to have this conversation with Lael, and finally gave in. If it was the only way to get them off his case about carrying weaponry, he’d agree to it and keep them concealed so it didn’t appear he was violating any of the medical bylaws. ::

Skyfire: :: back in Gaelic:: Aye, ah do….no secrets. Remember?

Rosek: ::smiles wanly:: o0 If only he knew… 0o Yeah. No secrets.

:: Now for his next project: getting Alex to help him modify concealed holsters for the knife and phaser. ::

---
Lieutenant Lael Rosek, Eng.D.
Engineering Officer
USS Veritas NCC-95035