Lt. Cmdr. Geoffrey Teller - Conspicuous Gallantry

Geoffrey Teller

Aug 18, 2020, 2:13:19 AM8/18/20
to USS Thor – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Wardroom, Lower Habitat Ring, Deep Space Nine))

It had been several days since the ship had taken anchorage at the station, and from the wardroom windows Lt. Cmdr. Geoffrey Teller could see the Thor far below.  At one of the lower docking pylons, illuminated by gigantic construction flood lights, The Thor was the center of a mad swarm of workbees and shuttles.  Blue white and iridescent green flairs of light marked the spots where construction crews were cutting through damaged sections of the ship, removing destroyed components and deformed hullplates.  They'd been working triple shifts and hadn't yet made it into the heart of the damage, nor would they for days.  It would be a while before the Thor was fit for duty again.

Thankfully, the crew was another matter.  Geoff had been delighted to learn Dr. Addison MacKenzie's mercy flight had been entirely successful and many tearful reunions had been made since the Thor arrived.  The senior staff had an opportunity to collect themselves and heal, although all bore fading bruises and some still moved a bit awkwardly.  Still, they had come to this borrowed conference room, compliments of the stations current commanding officer, looking remarkably composed.  It gave Geoff an enormous sense of pride, and as the last chairs fill in, Flt. Cpt. Kells nodded from the back of the room.  He'd decided to let Geoff handle this small, happy duty.  It was a meaningful gesture from his CO, and Geoff intended to make the most of it.  He stepped up to the small lectern in front of an illuminated Starfleet delta and waited for the room to grow quiet.  He'd intended to make some sort of speech but in the moment, something different came to mind.

Teller:  It is wonderful to see you all here and out of harms way.  Our recent experiences have tested us, and our ship, nearly to destruction.  It will be a time before either can heal, but that journey begins for us all today.  The Thor, our home, will be whole again...and that is thanks entirely to your tireless efforts.  Your actions were so meritorious, in fact, that Starfleet Command is having a hard time deciding exactly what citations and awards to shower you with.  While I'm sure there will be time for that before we're called back to duty, I do have two urgent matters of ships business which I need to address.  Firstly ::Geoff looked into the crowd and locked eyes with their young Engineer::...Ensign Sirok, front and center if you please.

Sirok:  Response

Teller:  Mr. Sirok, since joining us you have quickly proven yourself to be a resourceful engineer and a strong leader.  Your performance as Acting Chief Engineer has been exemplary and it is only logical that you be recognized for your fine work. ::Geoff pulled a small wooden box from the top of the lectern, set aside for this moment.::  Ensign Sirok, you are hearby promoted to Lieutenant, Junior Grade, with all the rights and responsibilities thereof.  In addition, your status as Acting Chief Engineer is hereby rescinded and superseded.  Crew of the USS Thor, please join me in congratulating Chief Engineer, Lt. Jg. Sirok!

Geoff pinned the hollow pip to the mans collar and shook his hand firmly.

Sirok: Response

Kells:  Response

Any:  Response

Teller:  Thank you for those warm, emotional words, Mr. Sirok.  For our next matter...1st. Lt. Wes Greaves, front and center.

For all the stress and emotion of the last few days, these moments were like a balm on his soul.  The warm congratulations of friends and colleagues, the sense of a group enriched as a whole by the successes of any member...it was why he joined Starfleet.  As Mr. Greaves took his position next to the podium, Geoff's smile grew wider.

Teller:  Mr. Greaves.  Since joining our crew, you have helped redefine the very nature of our Marine detachment.  You have taken it, reforged it, and turned it into exactly the tool we needed when disaster struck.  In reviewing our after action reports, I've found dozens of instances of the Marines saving lives and functioning seamlessly alongside their Starfleet brothers and sisters.  We are all one family aboard the Thor, and you helped keep that family together.  In recognition of your deft leadership of the Thor's Marine detachment, your status as Acting Marine Detachment Commander is hereby rescinded and superseded.  Crew of the Thor, lets give a big OO-rah for our Marine Detachment Commander 1st Lt. Greaves!

Greaves:  Response

Kells:  Response

Any:  Response

Teller:  Mr. Greaves, I tried to find a suitable badge of office to recognize your new status but found the Promenade lacking in suitable regalia.  That said, a little latinum goes a long way, and I was able to come up with something.  ::Geoff turned to the small table behind him and hefted the cloth covered package.  The Klingon vendor he'd worked with had argued over every detail, insisting it be larger or curved or needlessly jagged, but Geoff had managed to keep the original design more or less intact.  With one small change.::  Ancient wetnavy Marines famously carried steel swords into battle, long after the advent of the firearm.  It was considered an honored tradition, and it seems fitting to me that our new Detachment Commander has something similar.

Geoff passed the cloth wrapped bundle to the surprised Marine and withdrew the cover.  Wrapped in a dark brown targ leather scabbard and roughly 90cm from tip to tip, the Ulfberht sword, made famous by Viking warriors of Earth, had an agreeable heft.  The handle itself had been reshaped slightly, Geoff's one alteration to the original design, and now resembled the mighty hammer of their ships famous namesake.

Greaves:  Response

Any:  Response

Teller:  Congratulations again, Mr. Greaves.  ::Geoff waited for the man to return to his seat::  That concludes our ships business for now.  But there is one more small matter.

Geoff depressed a small button on the lectern and the rear doors of the wardroom parted.  A moment later, the unmistakable figure of their long missing Chief Medical Officer, Doctor Addison MacKenzie, strode through the doors.

MacKenzie:  Response

Any:  Response

Teller:  Welcome back, Doctor, and congratulations on a brilliantly orchestrated evacuation.

MacKenzie:  Response

Any:  Response

Teller:  Fleet Captain Kells and I have a matter to discuss with you after this meeting, Doctor, but for now I'm glad you're here.  I'm sure there are several people here who'd like to catch up with you.

There was an unmistakable warmth in the room and Geoff savored the moment.  It was nourishing and sustaining in a way tha was difficult to understand, but in that moment he felt better than he had in days.  These people could do the impossible and come away from it smiling.  He respected the hell out of every single one of them.

Teller:  One last matter - owing to the serious nature of our damage and our casualties, it'll be several weeks at least before the Thor is livable once again.  Workcrews can go aboard with prior authorization but be warned - many interior areas are currently open to space as they try to repair the ships spine.  I encourage everyone to take advantage of the stations amenities - they are nearly endless as far as I can tell.  I've also been informed that Bajor will soon be celebrating the Festival of Ha’mara - apparently it's the best pyrotechnics display in the quadrant.  Any who wish to attend are welcome to do so.  Otherwise, I encourage you all to take this moment to breath out - we've survived and our family is reunited here.  Lets remember our friends who are gone, and celebrate the fact that we live to fight another day.  Thank you all - dismissed.

Any:  Response

Geoff stepped from the lectern and into the crowd, offering renewed congratulations to Sirok and Greaves in passing.  He crossed his arms and smirked at their errant CMO.

Teller:  You, Doctor, are in a heap of trouble.

Flt. Cpt. Kells was at his shoulder a moment later.

Kells:  Response

MacKenzie:  Response

Teller:  Nope, worse.  ::Geoff smirked:: A promotion.  Come on - there's a small meeting room that way.  I'll tell you all the bad news at once.

Kells:  Response

MacKenzie:  Response

Tags/End for Teller!

((OOC:  Enjoy Shoreleave!  I'll be starting up another scene with Kells and MacKenzie soon, and will be happy to spin up a scene with anybody who is unsure about what to do next.  Otherwise, I look forward to seeing what you folks get up to on DS9 & Bajor!))

Lieutenant Commander Geoffrey Teller
Executive Officer
USS Thor - NCC 82607
Fleet Captain A. Kells, Commanding