Ensign Kalara Avran - Programming the memories (No tags)

1 view

Kalara Avran

Sep 28, 2018, 11:32:19 PM9/28/18
to UFOP: StarBase 118 - StarBase 118 Ops
(( Flashback ))

(( Shuttlecraft Ahsan, Ullian Registry #40659-a)

:: Kalara sat back in her chair, PADD in hand, but her mind was wandering and she wasn’t getting much reading done. Open on her PADD was her casefile, with some marked updates from the security service. She was in pursuit of a common smuggler, Vek Karel- responsible for raiding a medical supply depot on Ullia and fleeing who knows where to sell or trade them. Karel was a known criminal, but he was more of an annoyance in comparison to her list of prey. Truly, It was a nice change of pace. She hadn’t been assigned to a non-telepathic case in as long as she could remember, having elected to pursue telepathic crimes as her specialty. She was looking forward to a quick and easy case. Leaning forward, Kalara set her PADD down and tapped the shuttle’s control panel. ::

Avran: Computer, update investigator’s log, Avran-371. We have entered the Khosla system. The referenced transit lots indicate that the smuggler Karel passed through here several days ago for refueling. I have arranged to meet with orbital station’s administrator.

:: The Khosla system was close to Ferengi space and Kalara wasn’t looking forward to navigating the Rules of Acquisition in her conversation with the outpost’s administrator. She was at least culturally aware and packed a few strips of latinum for this trip. Bribes! ::

The hum of the atmospheric recyclers in the shuttlecraft’s small cabin softly became louder, audible over the ambient noise of the control systems interface. It was enough to catch Kalara’s attention and tt was frustrating, if not downright alarming. Kalara had repaired the recyclers twice already on this voyage. It was pushing her expertise to the limit. With a loud sigh, Kalara tapped the comm panel. ::

Avran: Ataran, sorry to wake you- the recyclers are sounding unruly again. Could you come up and take a look?

:: She was thankful for her jack-of-all-trades partner, despite the prolonged time they shared in the small space of the shuttle. They had worked out a fairly equitable schedule so that there was little overlap in the tiny space they shared as quarters, barely fitting a twin bunk. ::

Ataran: Yes, sure. Just give me a moment…

:: He had a very genial demeanor, making the close quarters arrangement tolerable, and she appreciated it. The aft door and Ataran emerged. His kind face smiling at her- kind even after being woken up in the middle of his off-shift! Years of service had yet to take its toll on him- he was many years her junior. ::

Avran: Thanks. I can hear the recyclers, again, and it’s not good. A level 4 diagnostic shows significant wear. I don’t know why they keep this bucket in service… :: she smiled. :: I’ve bypassed the damaged power relay, and replaced the auxiliary filters.

:: She wanted to justify waking him up. After working independently for several years, she often found it difficult to ask for help, in general. It’s not like she hadn’t tried to fix the systems herself. She did what she could but over the last few hours the best her repairs could do was delay the inevitable. ::

Ataran: Okay, okay… let’s see.

:: Ataran grabbed an make-shift engineering kit from the aft storage cabinet and opened an access panel along the starboard bulkhead.

Ataran: Ah, I think I see the problem. :: He removed a processing component from the array, withdrew a some complicated looking tool from the kit and started running it along a conduit in the wall. :: Try resetting the system now.

:: Kalara did as she was told and reran the diagnostic. The computer chirped what she thought was a happy agreement. ::

Kalara: It’ll hold us over… Maybe the outpost can refit us. Well… If we have enough latinum :: She smirked, and turned around to face her companion. ::

Ataran: I think we can manage. Here, I can show you…

:: Kalara raised her hand, cutting him off. ::

Kalara: I’m not quite ready for one of your ship systems teachable moments…

:: Suddenly Kalara concentration wavered, as she heard the words cut into her memory… ::

(( Computer Access Junction, Starbase 118 – Shortly after her transfer ))

Computer: Diagnostic complete. No system faults detected in specified subroutines. LCARS programmer’s interface ready for input.

:: Kalara’s mind often wandered in the downtime between tasks, especially in the frequent isolation that came along with her maintenance routine. Odd, though. This particularly memory surprised her. She hadn’t thought of Ataran in a while and sadness suddenly gripped her as she was reminded of some of the things – some of the people she had left behind upon leaving Ullia. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, resolved to find her focus and continue with her work. Funny how change, and forging ahead into the future, had an insidious way of bringing up the past. ::

(( End Flashback ))

((OOC: in my free time, thought I'd sim out some character backstory! Hope that's okay amidst all the fun on Tumar! ))

Ensign Kalara Avran

Engineering Officer

Starbase 118 Ops

A239312JK0