Lt. Commander Whittaker: Look What We Found Down Below (Tags: The Below)

Michael Meir-Wright

May 9, 2016, 5:42:25 PM5/9/16
to sb11...@googlegroups.com

(( The Below ))

:: Theo felt adrenaline beginning to course through his body, as his sense attuned to this previously unknown area of the station. The industrial, half-finished appearance contrasted against the clean, sleek lines found elsewhere on the gargantuan Starbase. His eyes took in as much as he could and he found himself more than a little disturbed to discover that there were signs that once up on a time people lived here. Was that a bloodstain next to the tell-tale signs of disruptor fire? Was that a slaver’s ring with cables attached to it? Just what had gone on in this strange, unfinished part of the station?

His reverie was broken by a chirp from his comm badge, followed by a heavily garbled voice. ::

Carter: =^= Carter to Theo. =^=

Whittaker: =^= Go ahead Ensign, I can barely hear you. Something down here is affecting communications. =^=

Carter: =^= Listen, we just found out something about the floor. It’s a plasticized tritanium mesh, which isn’t our standard. =^=

:: Theo took several moments to process the information before realising that this strange mesh had to be connected to this strangely hidden shantytown. ::

Whittaker: =^= Funny you should say that Ensign, we’ve uncovered what I can only describe as a ghosttown down here. =^=

Trel’lis: Hold it! :: beat :: I hear something! :: pause :: It’s faint but I hear movement.

:: Without a second thought, Theo tapped his comm badge, cutting off Greyson. He came to a stop and peered into the gloom. ::

Beyett: I’m sure it’s nothing. Where do you think you heard it?

:: Theo strained to hear in the deafening silence, but he heard nothing. ::

Trel’lis: Just another two meters, to my right.

Beyett: It’s probably just noise from the club or something.

Whittaker: :: shaking his head :: It’s too far away. :: beat :: Counsellor, can you hear anything?

Zinna: ?

Trel’lis: Can your tricorder pick up any lifeforms?

Whittaker: :: he looked down at the palm sized device, which was having trouble picking anything up. :: The tritanium mesh is affecting the tricorder’s sensors. It’s just a jumble. :: then, a flash of…. Something :: Scratch that, there is something in here with us. But I can’t tell where or how many?.

Beyett: Wait! :: beat :: I heard footsteps behind me. :: Quietly :: I think whatever you picked up on the tricorder is following us!

Whittaker: Stay alert people.

Trel’lis/Zinna: ?

:: Hughes raised a hand, before he pulled something from a pouch and slipping it over his eyes. It took the executive officer a moment to realise that he had donned a pair of night vision goggles. The marine reached forward and tapped a console, which promptly plunged the team into darkness. Disorientated, he reached out to stop himself from falling, and his hand found a perch on Trel’lis’ shoulder. Steadying himself he looked forwards- at least he thought he was looking forwards. ::

Whittaker: Captain?

Beyett/Trel’lis/Zinna: ?

:: The marine did not respond and for one horrendous moment Theo thought that the marine had either left them or had been felled by whatever was out there. Then he remembered that marines were well trained and the chances of someone of Captain Hughes’ calibre being dispatched so easily was next to impossible.

Seconds turned into a minute or so- just as the lights were restored. Theo blinked several times as he readjusted to the light and found Captain Hughes clutching a small humanoid that Theo recognised as a Pelian. ::

Hughes: Apologies Sirs.

Whittaker: :: glancing between the Pelian and the marine :: No apologies needed Captain Hughes.

Beyett/Trel’lis/Zinna: ?

Janker: ?

Whittaker: :: fixing the diminutive figure with a withering look :: And you are?

Janker: ?

Whittaker: And you just happened to find yourself in a sealed area of the station that nobody knew existed until today? :: beat :: I may be young, but I’m not stupid.

Janker: ?

Trel’lis/Zinna/Beyett: ?

Whittaker: :: to Trel’lis and Zinna :: By all means, I don’t wish to step on your toes. :: he turned to look at Diego :: Lieutenant, I want you to keep watch. It’s very possible that our guest has not come alone. :: beat :: Captain, you can assist him. Your goggles may come in handy again.

Beyett/Hughes: ?

Whittaker: :: beat, to Hughes :: Hopefully, it won’t come to that.

Beyett/Hughes/Trel’lis/Zinna/Janker: ?

​TAG

--
Lieutenant  Commander Theo Whittaker