Arden Cain, "Persistence is not futile" (Tags: Ford)

Lyle Beilby

Feb 27, 2016, 3:42:09 AM2/27/16
to sb11...@googlegroups.com, lyle....@gmail.com
((The other sim was getting a bit long so this is the continuation))

((Sickbay, USS Aegis))

::Arden hadn't stopped working for any real length of time since
Lieutenant Ezo contacted him with the news of the new sample of ATH.
That of course had been taken directly to the labs but hadn't revealed
any new information. That did frustrate Arden a little as he had grown
use to working on star fleet vessels that were either on the bleeding
edge of scientific capabilities or at the very least a ship whose
science department was properly manned and equipped. The Aegis was
proving to be neither of those and yet even given that the Aegis was
still more capable then Arden's small cobbled together lab back on SB118.

Thankfully Arden's work didn't require an abundance of equipment.
Everything he needed was easily found in the sickbay. He had access to
the main computer to generate simulations not to mention blood samples
to test his prototype nanite solution on once he was confident of the
effectiveness. Sadly though the solution to the entire problem hadn't
presented itself leading to much more trail and error then he would have
liked. So an hour into this process he had made head way but not enough
to treat the patients. Realistically an hour wasn't really that long a
time, a drop in an ocean in fact, but when Arden thought of how many
times the solution to a problem came down to some miraculous thirty
second dash to the finish line he really did feel this process wearing
on him.

Ordinarily as a civilian this would be the time he would go take a break
or what not, but part of accepting this type of job was working to his
employer's schedule. That schedule simply wouldn't allow Arden to break
down from this till he solved it. Looking up he saw Ford approach so
Arden slowed his furious typing.::

Ford: Response?

Cain: Progressing just not as fast as I would like. My last simulation
is just about to finish actually.

Ford: Response?

Cain: Its simply a matter of fine-tuning the pre-programed nanite
absorption behavior so that the nanites target the ATH compound in the
subject then absorb it quickly enough.

Ford: Response?

::Arden gave a chuckle, the man definitely had a point but like many
things in the universe. It was all relative.::

Cain: I have known many people who would say that field surgery is as
easy as how I am describing these nanites and yet.... ::Hearing a beep
at the console Arden immediately stopped his story and looked at the
results. Though not expecting much he was pleasantly surprised. Point
one for the persistence of trail and error.:: Take a look, I think we
may have found our ATH counter-agent.

Ford: Response?

Cain: Ok, loading that program into a sample of nanites and a freash
blood sample.

::Pressing a few commands at the console to transfer this version of the
ATH counter-agent to nanites already loaded into a hypospray he then
injected them into a random blood sample tray. Putting down the
hypospray he moved the sample tray to the nearby microscope and motioned
for Ford to proceed.::

Cain: After you Doctor.

Ford: Response?

TBC