Ensign Kalara Avran - Memory Investigations, Part II (No Tags)

1 view

Kalara Avran

Oct 13, 2018, 8:59:52 PM10/13/18
to UFOP: StarBase 118 - StarBase 118 Ops

(( OOC: Another backstory post! Had some time and figured why not! ))

(( Flashback ))

(( Warehouse District – Khosla Commerce Outpost ))

:: The only word Kalara could use to describe the Khosla outpost was: haphazard. The Ferengi administration kept the station functional, particularly areas devoted to trade and entertainment, but the motif of the parts and equipment used were representative of many of the regional powers. Scavenged, bought, stolen. The reality of this juxtaposition was that a certain degree of engineering prowess was required to maintain it, and the flickering overhead lights in the corridor joining the two warehouses implied that the available skill wasn’t always sufficient.

Still, Kalara was pleased to be off the shuttle. Ataran, her investigative associate, was good company, but she needed space. Especially after several weeks of confinement. While he attended to purchasing new power relays, arranging refueling, and repairing their nearly defunct shuttle, Kalara snaked her way through the station.

Her prey, Vek Karel, was also purportedly on the station, attempting to push the stolen materials from Ullia. At least, Kalara hoped that was the case. She and Ataran were still following up on leads.

The station administrator, a slender, aged, and very cranky Ferengi, was amenable to providing some information about the ships currently berthed at the station. At least, after a generous bribe. It was customary! Not necessarily approved by her superiors at the Ullian Security Service, though…

Kalara found an interface panel on the wall, and connected to Ataren. ::

Avran: It’s me. :: She was practically whispering. ::

Ataren: I’m listening… :: Give the tone of his voice, Kalara could envision him with a sly smile. It simultaneously irritated and amused her. ::

Avran: I’m outside storage bay 9 on level 20. I think Karel could be here. Well, I outbid whoever is docked here. The docking manifest was falsified.

Ataren: Well, the ship is essent---

Avran: Yeah, yeah. The ship is fine. Get down here. I’m going in.

:: She cut the communication link. Patience wasn’t one her strengths- especially when she was so close to her goal. The large industrial hatchway leading into the storage bay was locked and sealed, capable of maintaining pressure if the storage bay’s airlock failed. It wouldn’t be easy to get through physically, and thus requiring hacking instead of cutting. She replaced the laser torch in her satchel.

Kalara freed the small wall panel next to the computer interface, exposing a set of isoliner data rods. They looked Cardassian-style, but more shoddily manufactured. Kalara rolled her eyes and reached in to begin her work. Before she was able to disable the power circuit, an electrical shock emitted from a hidden device in the panel. The pain was a shockwave up both of her arms past her elbows. It was excruciating, and after an initial gasp, she used all of her willpower to keep from yelling out.

Simultaneously, the lights dimmed and a dark red strobe began in association with a sharp klaxon. ::

Computer: =/\= Unauthorized terminal access. Corridor 20-A1. =/\=

:: Kalara stumbled back and slid down the opposite wall, trying her best to recover from the pain, but failing. She had an emergency first-aid kit in her satchel, but she could barely operate her arms to search for it.

Time slowed as the hatchway to the storage bay opened, revealing no one at first. Slowly, a figure emerged with a disruptor rifle drawn. Kalara flung herself onto the floor, frantically crawling, despite her pain, around the corner to take cover. She narrowly dodged the disruptor fire. She pressed a numb hand against her upper arm, activating an emergency beacon, and hoped that Ataren would find her in time. ::

~~~~~~~~

Investigator Kalara Avran

Junior Inspector Sol Ataren

Ullian Security Service