Commander Mei'konda - And an Awarding Evening

Mei'konda

Mar 18, 2019, 6:34:46 PM3/18/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Montreal

(( Officer’s Lounge, the end of the day of the transport rendezvous. ))

:: Making his way down the corridor of deck two from one of the turbolifts, Mei’konda frowned as he spotted a flickering LCARS panel just outside the officer’s lounge.  The latest in a series of minor, but troublesome power cascades that the ship had been experiencing over the last few days. ::

:: Neither Mei’konda nor the engineers suspected anything intentional.  It was simply the latest and most noticeable symptom of the Montreal’s long service without a refit.  And with the Veritas now diverted to the Menthar Corridor after emergency repairs at Mars, the only way they’d see any relief would be if Starfleet sent a different ship to the area, but there was no word on it yet.  Until then, they’d just have to get by on their own. ::

:: Today was a time to focus on something less worrying, however.  Before he’d left his office, he’d typed up a quick reply to a message he’d received from Skyfire earlier. ::

//

To: Crew of the Montreal

From: Dr. Chythar Skyfire

Subject: Farewell Party

In the recent shenanigans involving Meridian's plague outbreak, I have reached the conclusion that I am no longer fit to serve aboard a starship in a medical capacity. It has been an honor and privilege to serve with you all. If the captain permits, I would like to append my own invitation for a farewell party at the ceremony's conclusion as a final opportunity for you to say good byes to me and Devlin.

Sincerely,

Dr. Chythar Skyfire

//

//

To: Crew of the Montreal

From: CDR Mei’konda Delano, Commanding Officer

Subject: RE: Farewell Party

I hereby approve Doctor Skyfire’s request.  He’s served us and the Shoals well, so let’s all give him a good sendoff.

-CDR Mei’konda Delano

//

::  As the faux-wooden doors to the officer’s lounge slid open.  Most of the senior crew, and the junior officers he’d invited for special recognition were already present when he arrived.  The Caitian cleared his throat as he approached the gathering of people near the large windows that looked out over the Bridge and the bow of the ship. ::

Mei’konda: My apologies, everyone.  Paaperwork got in the way.

Rosek / Tel-ar / Skyfire / Riley / Solok / Cattan / Galven / Shin / Harkrow / Hamasaki / Sotak / Stennin / Grog: Responses

:: Mei’konda brought the small metal case he held under one arm up to the podium he’d had arranged, set the case down atop, and settled his hands on the podium’s sides.  He smiled at the gathered officers in front of him.

Mei’konda: Welcome.  Thaank you all for coming.  I know repaairs have been taking up most of our free time laately, but as a crew, it’s importaant that we gather from time to tiime and reaffirm our dedication to each other, and to Starfleet.

:: Mei’konda paused for a moment, aimed a slight smile at Rosek, and continued. ::

Mei’konda: If not for your efforts, millions of liives might’ve been lost on Meridian.  You’ve saaved an entire colony, not to mention the liives of the Klingon delegation. Because of your efforts, we’ve secured an arms treaty with the Klingons in this region, and that will help us greatly in our mission to keep our colonies saafeguarded from the Tholians.  So, congratulations to you all.

Rosek / Tel-ar / Skyfire / Riley / Solok / Cattan / Galven / Shin / Harkrow / Hamasaki / Sotak / Stennin / Grog: Responses

Mei’konda: We miight be on Lenik’s tail, but for tonight, we’re here to celebraate your accomplishments.  To that end, Starfleet has awarded all of us here with the Operation Safe Harbor ribbon, for our efforts in combating piracy here.  Commander Rosek, if you would?

Rosek: Response

Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Thaank you, everyone.  Now, would Doctors Skyfire, Cattan, and Solok, as well as Crewman Padix stand to attention, please?

Skyfire / Cattan / Solok / Padix: Responses

:: Mei’konda stepped around from behind the podium, several boxes in hand.  He cleared his throat. ::

Mei’konda: Doctors and Crewman, you played pivotal roles in solving the plague, as well as in saving the lives of several of your fellow officers and crew.  For that, the four of you are being awarded the Medical Science Ribbon, as well as the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon. In addition, I’m pleased to present Doctor Solok as the Montreal’s new Chief Medical Officer.  I’ve no doubt that he’ll do a good job of taaking over for Doctor Skyfire.

Skyfire / Cattan / Solok / Padix: Responses

:: Mei’konda stepped between the four, carefully attaching the ribbon to each of their uniforms.  He held his place near Padix, for a moment, and met the woman’s eyes. ::

Mei’konda: Crewman Padix, due to your essential service to this ship and crew, I’m also pleased to promote you to Crewman 2nd class.  Congratulaations.

Padix: Response

:: Mei’konda made his way back up to stand at the podium, and inclined his head toward the four to indicate that they could step back. ::

Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Next, would Ensign Stennin step up, please.

Stennin: Response

:: Stepping around to face the young Vulcan, Mei’konda opened another small box. ::

Mei’konda: Ensign, I hear reports that your efforts were essential in solving our plaague problem, as well.  You’re new to Starfleet, but you’re already a credit to the uniform. For that, I’m also presenting you with the Medical Science ribbon - and also, a promotion to Lieutenant, junior grade.  I have no doubt that you’ll contiinue to serve well, Lieutenant.

Stennin: Response

:: Mei’konda reached up to carefully pin a black pip next to the gold one on Stennin’s uniform, smiled, and then stepped back.  He turned his attention toward his half-Denobulan Chief Science Officer. ::

Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Mr. Galven, will you join me, please.

Galven: Response

:: Opening a small box in front of the blue-collared man, Mei’konda drew out the next medal. ::

Mei’konda: This is my least faavorite medal to award, Lieutenant.  In this case, your fiight with the plague proved useful in studying its symptoms, and according to the reports, helped the medical staff discover a cure.  I’m awardiing you the Purple Heart.

Galven: Response

:: Pressing the medal into Galven’s hand rather than attaching it to his uniform, Mei’konda aimed a nod to Galven, then retrieved the last boxes that he’d brought with him in the case. ::

Mei’konda: Finally, would Lieutenant Harkrow, Ensign Hamasaki, and Commander Rosek join me, please.

Rosek / Harkrow / Hamasaki: Responses

Mei’konda: The three of you acted accordiing to the highest tradition of Starfleet in order to ensure that Lenik’s vessel would be driiven off.  The Montreal would never have gotten off the ground in tiime if not for your efforts.  I’m awardiing you all the Captain’s Commendaation for your efforts.

Rosek / Harkrow / Hamasaki: Responses

:: Mei’konda shifted his attention more directly toward the two more junior officers.  Hamasaki was new to the ship, but as far as he was concerned, she’d proven herself. And Harkrow had been nothing but excellent ever since the Caitian had taken command. ::

Mei’konda: And last?  You all know we’ve been dealing with some personnel changes lately.  Our chief medical officer, chief helmsman, and chief engineer have all been reassigned.  The first, we’ve already dealt wtih. The second and third?

:: Mei’konda smiled at the two of them. ::

Mei’konda: First, I’m awardiing you both the Innovation Ribbon for your creatiive solution to the problem of getting us off the ground and to a hiigh enough altitude that we could get our shields up before Lenik’s ship could cripple the Montreal.

:: He pinned the ribbon first to Harkrow’s uniform, and second, to Hamasaki’s. ::

Mei’konda: Ensign Hamasaki.  I’m makiing you the ship’s chief helmsman, and effectiive immediately, grantiing you the rank of Lieutenant, junior grade.  Congratulations, Lieutenant.

Hamasaki: Response

:: The Caitian turned back toward Harkrow. ::

Mei’konda: Mister Harkrow, you’ve impressed me continually with your creatiivity and your efficiency.  With Lieutenant Thoran leaviing the ship, I thiink you’ll be the perfect stand in. To that effect, I’m maaking you chief engineer of this starship, and granting you the rank of full Lieutenant.  Congratulations, Lieutenant. You’ve earned it.

Harkrow: Response

Any: Responses

:: Mei’konda joined in the clapping for their fellow officers, then lifted his voice one more time. ::

Mei’konda: That’s it, everyone.  Please, enjoy the eveniing, and congratulations once again. ::

Any: Responses

Commander Mei’konda Delano

Commanding Officer

USS Montreal