Commander Mei'konda - Physician, Heal Thyself Pt. 1

Mei'konda

Mar 2, 2019, 11:22:57 PM3/2/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Montreal

OOC: Takes place after Chythar, German & Lael’s “Rude Awakening”.

(( Ready Room, USS Montreal ))

:: Chythar had arrived a few minutes before 0800 and was pacing nervously outside the door. He knew that he shouldn’t be this nervous because he was going to be heading back to Earth to sling coffee, not practice medicine, but something about the last mission was still haunting him to no end. ::

oO The captain saw me freeze. Oo

:: His mental shields were as high up as he could get them, because the last thing he wanted was Lael picking up on his thoughts before he was ready to reveal his plans to step down as CMO. Once 0800 hit, his watch alarm went off. He silenced it and pressed his finger to the chime. ::

::Lael's brow furrowed as she studied the report in her hands. She'd made detailed notes of her observations from the last mission, but had yet to begin composing her report. The chaos of the last couple of days had left no time for that. She was seriously behind on her usual duties and had the feeling she would be up to her slightly pointed ears reading reports from the department heads for awhile yet before she was able to get to hers.::

::She took a large gulp of black coffee from the mug in her hand as she thumbed through the PADDs contents with the other. The flavor wasn't as strong as the coffee she preferred, but the caffeine was doing its job well enough. It was what Mei had had available when she'd entered at the start of what was fast becoming their routine weekly catch-up...assuming a mission or other emergency didn't throw their schedules off-kilter. She looked up at the sound of the doorchime and arched an eyebrow. ::

:: For Mei’konda and most of the rest of the Montreal’s crew, the last couple of days had been a strain - but nowhere near as much as their mission on Meridian, or when he’d first taken command of the ship from its previous commander, badly damaged and missing several key officers.  Between he and Rosek helping out with repairs to the damage sustained during their sudden takeoff from the colony, this was the first chance he’d had to finish some of the reports that they’d gotten behind on in the process. He looked up as the chime rang. ::

Mei’konda: Come in.

:: Chythar came into the room and quickly closed the distance between them, taking the offered seat across from the command duo. The PADD in his hand remained where it was, for its contents would undoubtedly cause some undue stress for Lael. Though he thought he hinted at it, he wasn’t entirely sure she was prepared to hear what he’d be saying. ::

Rosek: ::sets her PADD aside and takes another large gulp of coffee:: Doctor Skyfire. ::pauses:: How are you?

::It sounded lame and Lael had to fight back a grimace. The last mission had taken its toll and her normal sociable, positive demeanor seemed to have abandoned her. She was all business these days and was having a harder time than ever shutting it off. Anjar had commented about it just yesterday as she'd silently worked on the tasks she’d been given in Engineering.::

Skyfire: I’m...I’m surviving. That last mission was a doozy in more ways than one.

:: Mei’konda listened to the question, then the answer Skyfire had for them in return.  Skyfire looked frazzled to him. It was concerning, and if the human needed help, he wanted to make sure Chythar got it.   He clasped his hands together atop his desk, and nodded slightly. ::

Mei’konda: I haave no doubt.  Between the illnesses, injuries, and your nurse… Ensign Grog, was it?  You had your hands full.

::Lael tensed. Grog was a bit of a sore point for her at the moment. While she genuinely empathized with the woman, she was having a difficult time not seeing the situation through the eyes of a tactician, instead looking at it from a leader's perspective. One of her people was struggling. She had two options: help the woman get her act together or recommend to Mei that the woman be transferred. Lael was too stubborn to give up easily so she was determined to exhaust all other avenues before recommending a transfer.::

Skyfire: Let me be completely honest. It’s not the first time she’s melted down, as you say. Commander Rosek wrote a report to that effect, but this is the first time she’s melted down in front of patients. Lt. Munger tried to remove her from duty, which Dr. Cattan had to authorize since I was a little oO stressed Oo busy at the time.

:: It wasn’t the sort of report that Mei’konda relished hearing about a member of his crew - an officer, especially.  He’d have to look deeper into Grog’s file, and see just what it was that her instructors had thought would qualify her for starship duty, particularly if she’d suffered these sorts of episodes before.  Perhaps there was a way to help her. ::

Mei’konda: As long as you keep being honest with me, Doctor, I’ll always want to heaar what you have to say, good news or bad.  I assume you’ve made plans to help Ensign Grog deal with whatever she’s going through?

Skyfire: Aye, sir. I included mention of it in my report, and will be sending another note to Dr. Cattan regarding her appointment.

:: Mei’konda nodded, once.  There was something in Skyfire’s eyes, though.  Grog hadn’t been the only one to have a problem during the treatment of the ship’s patients.  ::

Mei’konda: Good. Now, if you don’t mind me asking, Doctor… is there another reason you’ve come to me in perrson with all of this?  I get the feeliing there’s something else you want to say.

====================

Commander Mei’konda Delano

Commanding Officer

USS Montreal