Doctor Chythar Skyfire: Physician, Heal Thyself Pt. II

Chythar Skyfire

Mar 2, 2019, 11:25:33 PM3/2/19
to IC Montreal

(( Ready Room, USS Montreal ))

Skyfire: oO Other than the fact that Lael booked this meeting? Oo :: He took a breath, debating on handing over the PADD. It really was just a formalized request for leave, and there wasn’t a letter that he felt happy submitting. :: I can’t handle the stress of being chief any longer. This last code blue had old memories return to haunt me, and… :: He trailed off, taking another breath before continuing. :: You and my staff saw me freeze when Lt. Galven collapsed.

::If she was honest, it wasn't a surprise. It happened to everyone in their career and she knew better than most Chythar's history and what he'd been through. They'd both figuratively and literally survived months of hell together in the other universe on top of everything he’d experienced before they even met.::

::As much as he'd accomplished in his career, he'd paid a price. She was going to miss him like crazy, but if this is what he felt her needed to do, she'd support him in it.::

:: Mei’konda couldn’t claim to be surprised.  He glanced down, then met Chythar’s eyes, and nodded once. ::

Mei’konda: Are you sure about this, Doctor?  I’m sure Counselor Cattan can make all the tiime for you that you need.  You’ve done an exemplary job aboard the Montreal, and the Veritas, earlier.

:: Was he sure he couldn’t handle the role of chief any longer? Yes. Did he need time to collect his bearings? Yes. Could he do that here? No. Even though his friends were here and would support him however they could, his Lazarus license was due to expire and he couldn’t remain chief if he was a statue. He nodded once and handed over the device in his hand. ::

Skyfire: I am quite sure. You and Commander Rosek are the the best command duo I’ve had the pleasure of serving with, but I would like to formally request time to collect myself and heal.

:: Mei’konda reached out to accept the PADD as it was handed over to him.  He turned it over in his hand, gazing down at the screen. It wasn’t that he didn’t understand.  He’d spent nearly a year and a half on Starbase 74, supervising the Astraeus refit.  The real reason had been that he’d needed a break.  A chance to get to know his father, who had just come back from being suspended in time since the battle of Wolf 359.  But whatever the reason… he knew that there were some things that a few counseling sessions couldn’t fix. ::

Mei’konda: I understand, Doctor.  Truly. Very well. If what you need is a little tiime away, you’ve more than earned it.  I will approve the transfer.

Rosek: ::nods and smiles softly:: You need to take care of you first.

Skyfire: Thank you,  sir.

:: Mei’konda smiled slightly. ::

Mei’konda: As long as you promiise to take care of yourself, that is.  It’s common knowledge that Doctors are the absolute worst patients.

:: To that, Chythar managed a mirthless chuckle. He knew all too well how many times he’d been ordered out of sickbay: so many, he lost count. On top of that, he knew full well that where he’d be going, that wasn’t going to be an issue. ::

Skyfire: That much, I can promise you. I am going to help out at my uncle’s coffee shop for a while while undergoing the necessary counseling.

:: Even the idea of it sounded relaxing to Mei’konda.  Responsibility that stopped with ensuring that a customer was given the proper drink.  The lives aboard a starship or an entire planet didn’t hang in the balance. ::

Mei’konda: That sounds delightful, Doctor.  Have you told Commander Blair?

Skyfire: I...haven’t told the commander yet, no. :: At the mention of Alex’s rank, he reached for the dog tags he wore beneath his shirt and started running his fingers over the thin pieces of metal. :: I haven’t found the right words to tell him.

::Lael’s gaze dropped to her lap. She hadn’t heard from Alex much since his transfer to the Constitution. She’d had bigger worries than a letter from him. The fact that it took ages for any kind of communication to reach them in the Shoals didn’t help. Maybe she’d taken on more than she could handle accepting first officer of the Montreal, but she was damned and determined not to let Mei and the crew down.::

::It was certainly a heavier weight than she’d expected. The situation on the bridge with Lenik had been like a red-hot poker to parts of her past that she preferred to keep hidden and parts of her present that she wasn’t entirely sure she was ready to confront yet. Given the inner turmoil she was facing, the thought of Chythar leaving was painful. He was leaving her like Alex had left them and that thought didn’t sit well with her. She understood Chythar’s reasons well enough, but that didn’t make it any less disconcerting.::

====================

Commander Mei’konda Delano

Commanding Officer

USS Montreal