Doctor Timothy Alentonis: Reskarii and You. Part I

Chythar Skyfire

Mar 3, 2019, 12:58:55 AM3/3/19
to IC Montreal
((Shuttlebay, USS Montreal, early morning.))

:: Tiria reported to the shuttlebay early - not as early as she had hoped, as she had to review some specs on the shuttle they were lining with the metal. Brushing some hair out of her eyes, she yawned some, her green eyes fixing on the man at the shuttle already. He was lining it with some kind of metal - Tiria presumed this was the Reskarii she had heard of.::

:: Tim had gotten there at 0600 and was hard at work lining another shuttle, the Alliance, with some more liquid Reskarii he’d replicated from his notes and the small stockpile they had left from their expedition to Pellica. They would need more of the metal in any event, but if this alloy worked as intended, (and provided the shuttle didn’t get blown up), then they’d have a reliable way of clearing up communications out in the Shoals. He hoped. He’d just set down his paintbrush when a red-collared ensign approached him, with an ensign’s pip. ::

Hamasaki: Ohayo~. I am Ensign Tiria Hamasaki. I assume you’re Professor Timothy Alentonis?

Alentonis: Correct. One of the local living fossils onboard, I guess.

Hamasaki: ::nods:: I thought I’d come down and help. Also, to ask more about the properties first hand.

Alentonis: Makes sense. :: He paused for a moment. :: I’m afraid you have me at a disadvantage. Who’re you, ensign?

Hamasaki: Oh, sorry. I should have said. ::Tiria said, blushing very slightly at forgetting that .. you know.. Minor.. detail:: I’m the Helmswoman. Commander Rosek mentioned your project, and I was very intrigued, as it also could be used to set up a system of comm satellites as well. ::pondering:: If I could ever find a reliable way of station keeping, anyway... But, after the last shuttle got destroyed, I thought only fair I pitch in about something I find really interesting

:: The prospect of a helmswoman was certainly an interesting one, but for some reason he wasn’t cleared to look at the roster so lacked further a name to go with those beautiful eyes of hers. Understandably, it was probably because of his rank as a civilian. Still, he had to at least attempt to ask. ::

Alentonis: I see. I’m assuming you have a name preference other than “ensign,” am I correct?

:: Tiria personally didn’t care anymore, after being addressed as Trainee for so long, but that was just her - so you got grateful for anyone addressing you by either name. ::

oO I can remember the day in detail they elevated me to Inspector. Oo

Hamasaki: Oh, either Tiria or Hamasaki. I’m used to be called by my rank, but it’s a little weird, yes.

 :: He nodded slowly. Tiria. It was a beautiful name, and so much more interesting than Tim’s own. He picked up his paintbrush and resumed his task of lining the shuttle, interested to give a briefing to someone who wasn’t on the original mission. ::

Alentonis: So, what we got here is a metal alloy based some notes and experimentation. Originally, I came across it while on the Veritas when we recovered some artifacts from a Romulan treasure fleet. There was some weird box made of metal, with whatever inside of it being gone by the time we opened it up. It’s actual name is reskariaehhrr, which translates to “knife metal” in Federation Standard. It appeared to be tetryon proof. Further experimentation has led to the discovery of a high melting point of 700 degrees Fahrenheit, and the box itself was revealed to be seven inches thick. Originally only available on the northern hemisphere of Romulus, but a secondary location was discovered on the planet Pellica. It is unknown if this alloy I’ve made will stand up to clearer communications, which is why we were hoping to line a shuttle with it. Now, so long as we don’t get this one blown up...we should be able to test it. Any questions?

:: Tiria nodded, adding bits to her mental picture about the metal. Also, it’s requirements. That’s pretty important - it tolerates lowers temperatures than the hull of most ships. She picked up a paintbrush, and began painting as well::

Hamasaki: None so far. I assume replication is difficult due to the unique properties?

Alentonis: Correct. Ideally, what I would like out of this test flight is basically a call home. Get to small incremental distances away from the ship and make regular check-ins, to see what the range is and to see if it’s a clear communique.

Hamasaki: ::nods:: Standard range is up to about a half light year, if I recall from testing done by the government of Havley’s Hope, even with powerful communication aides.

Alentonis: Fantastic...I’m guessing you’ll be piloting the test flight, then?

Hamasaki: ::nods:: That is my understanding. ::a bit distracted as she keeps painting:: This.. would be amazing even if we could only increase it by 25%. I remember, growing up in the Shoals that even system-to-system communication that I learnt was such a standard thing outside.. was rare, and too dependent on drifting tachyon fields. It would be.. It would be a boon to allow more communication.

TBC
===
Ens. Tiria Hamasaki
Helmswoman/Operations